E-assisting a SWB Recumbent

D

Deleted member 4366

You can make a rack dead easily out of aluminium tube and a piece of plywood. You only have to cut the tube to the right length, bash the ends flat and drill a few holes. Once the plywood is bolted on, it becomes very strong and rigid. 15mm tube is what I use. I've built about 6 racks like this now.

Aushiker

Pedelecer
I am looking forward to your review.
40k with 250m of climb it should be interesting.
I am predicting a high average speed as uphill shouldn't be slow but down hill you should fly.

Breath bated...
That is going to a awhile I am afraid. Currently restricted to 30 minute rides but I did ride up a couple of 5% grade inclines today ... got up them at around 17 km/h without doing much work and not using the throttle. I think I had assist at five.

I did try out throttle only on flat but peaked out at around 31 km/h. Don't know if that is normal or not.

Andrew

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
You can make a rack dead easily out of aluminium tube and a piece of plywood. You only have to cut the tube to the right length, bash the ends flat and drill a few holes. Once the plywood is bolted on, it becomes very strong and rigid. 15mm tube is what I use. I've built about 6 racks like this now.

Second that, I've made two racks using the D8veh method, and they are both bombproof. The best thing is that you can make them to fit exactly.

Aushiker

Pedelecer
At long last the conversion is complete complete. I really have nothing more to do to the bike other than building a programming cable to allow me to program the Bafang BBS01 and to maybe add a watt meter. I haven't been able to ride it much due to injuries, holidays and now illness :roll: but what riding I have done does suggest some tweaking of the motor would be worth if. Overall I am happy with the conversion and the ride experience. I have fully documented the build on my blog here for those interested.

Andrew

Advertisers