E.B.C kit - First 500 miles

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
The odo on my Electric Bike Conversions kitted bike turned 500 miles on Monday.

Originally it's a Batavus Winner dating from around 1990. I bought it in Holland last year, pretty much on a whim, liking the Sachs drum brakes and stainless steel rims. Then earlier this year I decided to look into an E-bike as a possible replacement for an increasingly troublesome motorcycle on my 25 mile daily commute. With distinctly limited budget I looked around the cheaper end of the E-bike market, considered buying used but didn't really like the bikes I was seeing.

Meanwhile I was finding the Batavus pleasant to ride. So I decided to look into converting it into an E-bike. I settled on the E.B.C. 250W kit as it seemed to be the most complete in that price range and not knowing a great deal about E-Bikes I didn't want to risk putting together a set of components myself.

I wanted to leave the existing drive train alone, so picked a front motor kit. It's quite common on this type of bike to carry loads over the front wheel, so I decided to put the battery there. I'd found the bike a bit light on the front, so hoped this would help traction as well. I bought a heavy duty Dutch style front rack in anticipation of mounting the battery on it, but when the kit arrived I discovered I could mount the kit's battery rack backwards at the front. Front mounting everything also minimises the amount of wiring passing the steering head, which can be a trouble spot on motorbikes.

Next challenge was a front brake. The original was drum, which wouldn't fit with a motor. Obvious replacement was disk, though it might have been simpler to fit a rim brake. My original plan was to make a plate to use the drum brake mounts for a disk, but I found a disk fork on EBay and decided it was simpler to change the fork. It would have been if the disk mounts on the "disk fork" had actually been in the right place. As it was I had to change to a larger disk and pack the mountings to get the cable operated calliper aligned properly.

It took a bit of fiddling to get the pedelec sensor fitted on the left; avoiding the full chaincase. Finally I realised I could bend the ring the sensor is mounted on over and use it as an arm to present the sensor to the magnet ring with the sensor inverted. This gets the magnets moving over the sensor in the right direction.

The bag on the right side of the battery rack houses the controller, plus rather a lot of excess cable. The smaller one on the left is the battery for the front lamp. I know I could run my lights from the battery, but having had both lighting and traction batteries go flat on me I prefer to keep them separate.

There was a thumb throttle in the kit and I fitted it to the left bar. Left side because I wanted to try it and to make it distinctly different from a motorcycle.

Finally it all worked and I started riding it only to discover the rear drum brake was grabbing. This got so bad it bent the chainstay, putting the rear wheel out of line. I managed to press the stay back straight with G clamps and eventually replaced the backplate and shoes (sandpaper worked but only for a while). The new SRAM backplate looks different, but is a straight swap.

I haven't ridden any other e-bikes so I can't really comment on how this rides in comparison. It's little different from the unassisted bike, just faster and easier, especially up hills. I like the "four wheel drive" effect of the front motor on slippery surfaces, a little touch of the throttle adds a lot of stability. Generally I use assist setting 3 (of 5) but override it with throttle to "finish off" a climb or move off from a stop, particularly in traffic. Riding like this I have one bar left on the battery meter after 25 miles, so the range is about 30 miles.

The motor is almost silent at "cruise" (15mph, about 100W) but whines slightly when working harder on a climb.

Recently I decided the Sensamo "speed" tyres were to puncture prone for regular commuting and changed to Greenguard Marathons. I also got fed up with adjusting the cable disk brake and fitted a hydraulic calliper.P1110025.JPG

C

Cyclezee

Hi,
Thanks for sharing this conversion, it's certainly a different approach.
This is not meant as a criticism, but personally I would have placed the battery rack at the rear to give better weight distribution and also you make it less obvious by fitting rear panniers.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi,
This is not meant as a criticism, but personally I would have placed the battery rack at the rear to give better weight distribution and also you make it less obvious by fitting rear panniers.
Hi as usual you are totally right, but this time it will be difficult for me to agree. Why, because his front light will turn into a white rear light the rear reflector would be the wrong colour and his rear view mirror will turn into an additional rear view mirror for that person approaching him. :)Miss you mate :(

MS.

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Hi,
My main reason for doing it this way was to see if it would work. After all one of the joys of home building is being able to experiment and it would be easy enough to rebuild this with the battery at the back if it didn't work. I also wanted to keep the rear rack clear for load carrying; it doesn't take much shopping to be heavier than the battery.

Besides; where would I clip the front edge of my cape down without a front rack?

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
1000 miles! Well 999 actually, but it will be over 1000 by the time I get home tonight.

The only thing I've done to the bike in the last 500miles is to make stronger mounts for the bottom of the rack. The M5 threads in the front mudguard mounts weren't really up to it and it now has plates that mount directly on the axle.

Reactions: Fordulike

Annie12

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 5, 2015
Wow - well done, I have done 22 miles on mine, looking for better weather !!!

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Wow - well done, I have done 22 miles on mine, looking for better weather !!!
Don't blame you. Last night was particularly horrid. Wet, windy and the front light packed up. That's the second time I've had trouble with the front light, its battery only just lasts long enough. This time it was actually broken, one of the cell tags snapped off inside the battery pack.

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
3500 miles and a major change. The Sachs 3spd hub gave up, fortunately only a couple of miles from home and I got home on the motor alone. Swapped the whole wheel for one fitted with a Shimano Nexus 3spd. It's a coaster brake, which I like now I've got used to it. Front brake lever is now on the left, so I can signal right and brake at the same time.

Garry Cooper

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 28, 2016
London
3500 miles and a major change. The Sachs 3spd hub gave up, fortunately only a couple of miles from home and I got home on the motor alone. Swapped the whole wheel for one fitted with a Shimano Nexus 3spd. It's a coaster brake, which I like now I've got used to it. Front brake lever is now on the left, so I can signal right and brake at the same time.
3500 miles - wow I have an EBC kit on my bike an cant fault it, although it will be a while before I clock up that sort of mileage !!!!

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
4000miles and more major, if temporary, changes. The bottom bracket has given up. Serves me right for not ordering a new one when I noticed a bit of play.

So I'm waiting for a new cartridge bottom bracket, but I still need the bike to get to work. Fortunately I'd just built up a bike for my wife that has the same size wheels... (No, I'm not in trouble for pinching her new bike. She rode it once and told me she didn't like it. It was a dump find, needing the rear wheel rebuilt, so I got to learn wheel building. I was planning to sell it).

So my ebike is now a Claude Butler Torridon. Took about 2 hours on Wednesday evening to swap the EBC kit over, but to avoid problems with the front rack and the Torridon's front rim brake I put the battery rack at the back.

It works, and the 4 speed Nexus hub is nice, but I don't like it much otherwise. The Batavus will be back as soon as its bottom bracket is done.

First impression is that there's not enough weight over the front wheel. The steering is twitchy and the front tends to spin out under hard acceleration, even on a dry road. In damp conditions I'm not confident the front has sufficient grip. It confirms my reasoning in having the battery at the front to begin with.

Flat bars and an unsprung saddle make it less comfortable than I'm used to. I think the frame is less compliant as well.

I miss the crossbar. I know step-throughs are easier to mount but it wasn't until I didn't have it that I realised how often I used the crossbar to pick the bike up (the Batavus balances about the middle of the crossbar, like a suitcase) or just to lean it against my leg.

I also seem to be getting more close passes. It might be one of those things (start of the school term perhaps?), or perhaps motorists expect different behaviour from a cyclist on a "lady's" frame?

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
5000 miles. Back on the Batavus. The EBC kit is still going strong. It's got main battery powered lights now, makes charging easier and I just carry a set of small battery lights in case I run the battery flat. Which is possible, the combination of low temperatures, heavy clothing, two front lights and studded tyres has hit range quite hard. I'm getting home with only one bar left, whereas in the summer I regularly had two. One day I even got in with three bars, must have had a tail wind!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
5000 miles. Back on the Batavus. The EBC kit is still going strong. It's got main battery powered lights now, makes charging easier and I just carry a set of small battery lights in case I run the battery flat. Which is possible, the combination of low temperatures, heavy clothing, two front lights and studded tyres has hit range quite hard. I'm getting home with only one bar left, whereas in the summer I regularly had two. One day I even got in with three bars, must have had a tail wind!
Great stuff, you're certainly knocking out the miles :)

If anyone else is interested in their kits or bikes, their website is:

http://www.electricbikeconversions.co.uk/

They also have an eBay shop:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/electricbikeconversions

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
4000miles and more major, if temporary, changes. The bottom bracket has given up. Serves me right for not ordering a new one when I noticed a bit of play.

So I'm waiting for a new cartridge bottom bracket, but I still need the bike to get to work. Fortunately I'd just built up a bike for my wife that has the same size wheels... (No, I'm not in trouble for pinching her new bike. She rode it once and told me she didn't like it. It was a dump find, needing the rear wheel rebuilt, so I got to learn wheel building. I was planning to sell it).

So my ebike is now a Claude Butler Torridon. Took about 2 hours on Wednesday evening to swap the EBC kit over, but to avoid problems with the front rack and the Torridon's front rim brake I put the battery rack at the back.

It works, and the 4 speed Nexus hub is nice, but I don't like it much otherwise. The Batavus will be back as soon as its bottom bracket is done.

First impression is that there's not enough weight over the front wheel. The steering is twitchy and the front tends to spin out under hard acceleration, even on a dry road. In damp conditions I'm not confident the front has sufficient grip. It confirms my reasoning in having the battery at the front to begin with.

Flat bars and an unsprung saddle make it less comfortable than I'm used to. I think the frame is less compliant as well.

I miss the crossbar. I know step-throughs are easier to mount but it wasn't until I didn't have it that I realised how often I used the crossbar to pick the bike up (the Batavus balances about the middle of the crossbar, like a suitcase) or just to lean it against my leg.

I also seem to be getting more close passes. It might be one of those things (start of the school term perhaps?), or perhaps motorists expect different behaviour from a cyclist on a "lady's" frame?
I learnt something here, crossbar to pick the bike up. I didn't think of that.

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Over 10,000 miles (I think, the odo reset to 0 at about 7000) and still going strong. It's got the 4 spd Shimano roller brake hub out of the other bike now, since I managed to destroy the 3 spd coaster with a servicing error. The replacement bottom bracket has started to click and will have to be changed soon.

The battery is flagging a bit now and I tend to charge at work to make sure I get home (though it will still do it if I forget). I think it proves that a <£500 kit can be reliable.

Reactions: Tabs