E-bike article in today's Guardian

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Nice little pro e-bike article in today's Guardian. Full honours go to Wisper in this article.

In defence of the electric bicycle | Environment | The Guardian

- The Guardian is supposed to be the newspaper for the more liberal-minded reader. So have a laugh at some of the more ignorant comments that follow beneath the article in the online version, where several readers grandly pronounce that e-bikes are just 'wrong' - yes, wrong! (Not an isolated comment either, there's some support for that point of view from several other unenlightened readers too). :eek:

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yes the Luddite reaction is most peculiar.........:rolleyes:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Its strange isn't it. Though some of the comments are balanced.

I can tell you that NO WAY would I have started cycling to work without the use of an ebike. For last 4 weeks my car has spent most of its time on the drive when I would have used it every day for work. This has changed both my routine and outlook on getting to work every day. Dare I say it has been a life changer!

I got pretty much the same reaction at work when I first started. One guy seemed physically angry and annoyed at me for buying an electric bike :(

Strangely he cycles every day and has a long commute.

I also have a medical condition though probably not that severe that would demand I had to have an ebike.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
It's interesting, the "that's cheating" reaction. Maybe the point is that he (invariably he) feels virtuous for cycling and that we are getting the same credit as him without putting in as much effort.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
I have a medical condition which means I am not able to drive a car.

I get to work by cycling (very occasionally), public transport and scrounging for lifts.

I've been utterly stunned by the level of scorn I experienced when I raised the subject that I'm planning on getting an electric bike (even from some who are normally 'nice' people) to the point I don't talk about it any more. I'm still going to go ahead.

Even my wife's first reaction was the usual cliche "that's cheating" however she quickly came round when she realised I wouldn't be relying on anyone else to get home so could be far more flexible. She's very keen on the idea now.

One day hopefully attitudes will change but I suspect we have "an uphill struggle"!

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Makes for interesting reading - particularly as I've just bought a 905se sport :)

Looking at the comments under the article I think that there are too many people with too much time on their hands and I wonder how many of them have ever thrown a leg over an e-bike?

My reasons for purchasing are that I can cycle to work in my shirt and trousers as opposed to cycling gear and be able to cycle all week and feel fresh, rather than be tired after 3 days. It also means I will cycle to visit friends and family on those days when I wouldn't normally feel like cycling

It makes me smile the whole 'cheating' thing - as using a car to get to work isn't!!!

As the saying goes, there's nowt as queer as folk!

uk_steve

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2007
Folkestone Kent
people moan about everything esp on the net

some of them people going on about yeah its not that good because its electric

they are too stupid to relize they are typing away on a laptop or computer all day and saying yeah electric bikes are not that green

get green and stop talking rubbish all day on the net

this smiley is best i think :D

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I wonder as well if its a "British" thing. Do other ebikers in other countries get this much scorn I wonder :confused:

All very strange I agree. Over time I have come to realise that when people get upset over this type of thing, especially something which you have very little control over (except maybe to bow to their will), its more to do with issues and problems they have.

In the past I would feel as if I had some how upset them and was responsible in some way. Now I realise that its their choice to "be" upset. That said when the guy got physically angry with me I felt disturbed. I guess I should not have and again it was my choice to let him disturb me lol

I wish I had said something witty at the time but then he might have got more angry.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

uk_steve

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2007
Folkestone Kent
I have a medical condition which means I am not able to drive a car.

I get to work by cycling (very occasionally), public transport and scrounging for lifts.

"!

i hear you on health issues i am 1 myself

people just think yeah yeah you are lazy you are cheating till you say what is wrong with you
when you talk to starngers on your e-bike
mine is abit of a giveaway if you see me i walk like charlie chaplin when i get off my bike

@ jasono the comment how many people have thrown a leg over a bike is me literally:)

i can take my leg off because i have a false limb:p

Last edited:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I've had nothing of the sort, apart from one lad who initially (jokingly) thought it was lazy, but then I pointed out I regularly rode from Ipswich to Botesdale on both unpowered and e-bikes, and that it is uphill all the way from Stowmarket - most young people consider this sort of distance to be an athletic feat even on an e-bike...

others have been intrigued, work colleagues asking "where can I get one", and those who have seen my Wisper 905SE City have been impressed by its looks..

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
I've had the cheating comment all the time, but never from another cyclist.

I sometimes stop and talk to other cyclists and they're always positive about it and interested. When I meet a roadie/lycra I sometimes ride alongside and we have a friendly chat.

If I do have to pass a lycra on a hill, I'll generally explain that I'm cheating as I go past.

Nick

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
It's the motor, I think, some people have the big problem with. Probably because you're on the road with a motor and not paying road tax, insurance etc etc. Except most of us are and with the car sat on the drive at home not taking the road space up or damaging the roads or risking an insurance claim. Some people think the only reason you ride a bike is because you can't afford a car or you're being a bit of a cheapskate and should be fully taxed and insured like you deserve to be.:rolleyes:

I also think some people might consider you a bit of an eco warrior. This can sometimes be viewed in a negative way.
Some other bike riders have a competitive thing going and just consider you're not playing the game. :D

I've talked to a few people locally and they all thing it's a great idea. My idea of commuting is not to arrive at my destination with my heart pounding out of my chest and me bathed in sweat. I like to ride comforatably with a certain degree of decorum, and get to where i'm going in reasonable time without having a coronary.

My bike is fully insured against accidents (including third party liabilty) and theft. I obviously don't pay road tax, but then again I don't damage them (they're more likely to damage me).

Within the fortnight i've been cycling on this bike, i've had one near miss (pedestrian running into the road without looking) and two examples of being cut up at traffic-calming obstacles by car drivers who reckon they can fit an 8ft wide car through a 6ft gap!

Happy days.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Some people think the only reason you ride a bike is because you can't afford a car or you're being a bit of a cheapskate and should be fully taxed and insured like you deserve to be.:rolleyes:
Doesn't something like 30% of the price of a Wisper 905 go to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs - half of this being import duty and the other half being VAT?

Both my e-bikes and my normal bike are insured anyway via ETA (the lot in Surrey, not the Spanish paramilitary terrorist organisation).

Given some of the comments in the Grauniad, its actually the so-called eco-warriors who tend to look upon e-bikes negatively...

being a single man in an IT management position with no kids / dogs / cats to provide for, I could easily afford to fast-track either a car or motorbike license, and could (just about) afford to run a petrol-powered vehicle, but I choose not to do so. Outwardly I do not act like an eco-warrior, but I'm sure my impact on the planet is far less than using any other mode of transport....

Last edited:

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
. . . Now I realise that its their choice to "be" upset. That said when the guy got physically angry with me I felt disturbed.

...I wish I had said something witty at the time but then he might have got more angry.

Regards

Jerry
This has come up on here several times (how to respond) and there have been several inventive comments over that that time that some offered as their favourite retorts that made me LOL, such as -

When it's a bloke accusing you of cheating, my favourite was: "Ask them if they own an electric Black and Decker drill, and if they reply yes, tell them: 'Well that's cheating too - you should be using a hand drill!' "

And when it's a woman - reply by asking "Do you put your laundry in a washing machine?" And if they answer yes, then it's: "Well that's cheating, why don't you use a washboard instead?"

And I also liked the one that someone suggested to ask (if it was a woman), by asking if she owned a vibrator, but as it's mostly blokes that use the 'cheating' card, it'll be long wait before you can crack that one :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Doesn't something like 30% of the price of a Wisper 905 go to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs - half of this being import duty and the other half being VAT?
Actually the normal 17.5% VAT is under 14.9% of the retail price. I think the import duty is 8% at present which is 6.3% of the retail price, so that's a total of about 21%, just over one fifth of the retail price.

Under the temporary 15% VAT the total is down to just over 19%, under one fifth of the retail price.

However, these assume that Wisper take absolutely no margin. Of course they do, so the import duty only acts on the price less that margin and less VAT, so the actual proportion of the retail price that the government gets is lower yet, probably somewhere roughly around 15%, half the suggested 30%.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
And I also liked the one that someone suggested to ask (if it was a woman), by asking if she owned a vibrator
:eek:

I am sure that would invoke an interesting response. Perhaps I will ask him the same question next time he passes a comment lol

Jerry

Aviator

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 28, 2009
My bike is fully insured against accidents (including third party liabilty) and theft. I obviously don't pay road tax, but then again I don't damage them (they're more likely to damage me).
Hi dkhora

Could you advise who your insurers are? Todate I have found it impossible to find an Insurer who will offer a comprehensive policy such as you describe.

Martin

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
And I also liked the one that someone suggested to ask (if it was a woman), by asking if she owned a vibrator, but as it's mostly blokes that use the 'cheating' card, it'll be long wait before you can crack that one :D
Amazingly enough an opportunity for such did pass my way some time ago. It briefy flashed to mind but seemed inappropriate and a sure invitation to disaster - thank god. I've fallen seriously foul of much less - misunderstanding of course.

PS. I believe it was a washing machine. I think the the individual in question only suggested he'd thought of an alternative. Can't see the link myself.

Last edited: