E-bike as mobility aid - advice please

theWoosh

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Hi,
I am hoping for some advice from you knowledgable people...

My partner was a keen cyclist and walker up until several years ago when she was diagnosed with ME/CFS, and since then she has been unable ride a bike or walk very far since if she exercises she suffers pain and exhaustion for up to several days afterwards.

She is now utterly dependent on using a car even to get to the local shops - which is difficult in terms of parking, fuel costs & environmentally, and she has been unable to venture anywhere off the road into the beautiful countryside where we live.

Is there an E-bike solution which would enable her to:
a) get around locally without being dependent on the car and
b) access cycle and bridal paths so she get out to places she has been unable to get to for years?
(and c not look like a disabled vehicle! she is quite sensitive about this)

Bear in mind that we live in S.Devon which is a very hilly spot and even getting to our house means negotiating a 50m 1 in 6 slope, and that peddling is pretty much out of the question for her - I bought a tandem off ebay so I could pedal her around, but at times even the fact that her legs were forced to move up and down with mine caused problems. This means that the bike would have to be capable of doing all the work...

I realise that this might be a tall order with what appears to be the current state of battery & motor technology - it seems that at least some pedalling is required going up hill on all the bikes and kits I have looked at - and this is not helped since we don't have a great deal of money to spare for this - her mobility allowance and more is currently being spent on regular visits to her seriously ill son who is in long-term residence in hospital in London.

She is also recovering from breast cancer, and has a son in service in Afghanistan, so as you can imagine, it would be fantastic to find something to give her some pleasure and freedom, and help her get out in the open air and take her mind off some of these worries.

PS - it would also be great if I could use the bike occasionally too - it would encourage me to cycle more often - sometimes the hills put me off as well! Though I wouldn't want the motor to do all the work for me (and this is not an important concern).

Many thanks for any advice that you folks can offer...

Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm afraid no e-bikes can do all the work on hills of any steepness. The laws on power means that they are electric assist bikes, not electric bikes. The very best climbers can get a person of up to 70 kilos / 11 stones up slopes of up to 1 in 15 without pedalling, but 1 in 6 and the like are out of the question.

This question has often cropped up before, and in essence e-bikes are not suitable as mobility vehicles. In fact even with one of the best climbing e-bikes, a 1 in 6 hill demands quite a lot of effort from a fully fit cyclist.

There is a legal class of bike that would be suitable, it's the Low Powered Moped class. This is a class of bicycle that can have a motor of up to 1000 watts instead of the normal 250 watt limit on normal e-bikes, but is still subject to the same 15 mph limit. Unfortunately that class has to be registered and have a number plate, insurance and a moped licence, and those deterrents have resulted in no manufacturer making one. Further limitations are that they would be technically illegal on cyclepaths and bridleways and annual MOTs are necessary from year three.

It is possible to personally create a Low Powered Moped by fitting a 1000 watt motor and suitable high capacity battery to an existing bike or e-bike, but it would then have to be taken through Single Vehicle Type Approval. That's a technical test of the vehicle like a form of MOT plus done at an approved test centre, and the cost for that is £55. All a bit involved and a bit costly.

Last edited:

nogelt123

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 20, 2009
I read your post with interest because I am in a similar situation.I purchased an electric folding bike in march of this year while I was in relatively good health.My health has deteriated considerably since then,(diabetes and siatica and my left leg is pretty much useless,I walk with a cane and am capable of about 300 meters before I have to sit down.
I now consider my ebike as my salvation,I can go just about anywhere in montreal within a 20km radius.
I do not have a throttle on my bike and am able to climb
many hills hills with minimal pressure on the pedels with ease.
My only concern is reliabity as I had a flat 1 km from home and the walk was made acceptable because of the folding pedals,using my bike as a walker.
Please consider a folding ebike because if you get stuck
you can easily fold your bike and take a taxi.
thanks,Jan

Reactions: UrbanPuma

theWoosh

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Thank you for your responses...
My feeling was that I would not find anyhting that could do this as flecc suggests, so I am interested to see your response nogelt123 - what is your setup? what sort of hills are you able to climb?

Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
While you are waiting for a response from nogelt123 in Montreal, bear in mind that in Canada they have higher e-bike power limits than we have in the UK, Canadian e-bike motors like the BionX typically having 350 watt rated motors against our GB 200 watt / EU 250 watt limits.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
I'm afraid no e-bikes can do all the work on hills of any steepness. The laws on power means that they are electric assist bikes, not electric bikes. The very best climbers can get a person of up to 70 kilos / 11 stones up slopes of up to 1 in 15 without pedalling, but 1 in 6 and the like are out of the question.

This question has often cropped up before, and in essence e-bikes are not suitable as mobility vehicles. In fact even with one of the best climbing e-bikes, a 1 in 6 hill demands quite a lot of effort from a fully fit cyclist.

There is a legal class of bike that would be suitable, it's the Low Powered Moped class. This is a class of bicycle that can have a motor of up to 1000 watts instead of the normal 250 watt limit on normal e-bikes, but is still subject to the same 15 mph limit. Unfortunately that class has to be registered and have a number plate, insurance and a moped licence, and those deterrents have resulted in no manufacturer making one. Further limitations are that they would be technically illegal on cyclepaths and bridleways and annual MOTs are necessary from year three.

It is possible to personally create a Low Powered Moped by fitting a 1000 watt motor and suitable high capacity battery to an existing bike or e-bike, but it would then have to be taken through Single Vehicle Type Approval. That's a technical test of the vehicle like a form of MOT plus done at an approved test centre, and the cost for that is £55. All a bit involved and a bit costly.
How could you fit a number plate on a bike?Wouldnt they be too big?Other than that I think your suggestion is workable and worth the extra hassle as a business concern.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How could you fit a number plate on a bike?Wouldnt they be too big?Other than that I think your suggestion is workable and worth the extra hassle as a business concern.
Fitting a number plate to a bike isn't a problem, I used to fit them many years ago when we fitted petrol add-on motors to bikes. In fact at first they had to have front plates as well like any motorcycle of the time, fortunately done away with on safety grounds. Here's some old photos of bikes with the Cyclemaster and PowerPak motors as examples:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

You can see the tax disc holder by the front spindle on two of the examples. Low Powered Mopeds have to have a tax disc as well, but it's free each year for electrics.

Last edited:

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
My Proconnect S even came with a mount for a rear number plate. Probably 50C being a bit legalistic. It was the first thing to go and Aldby's pics of his make me think he did the same.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My Proconnect S even came with a mount for a rear number plate. Probably 50C being a bit legalistic. It was the first thing to go and Aldby's pics of his make me think he did the same.
Yes, they have to have them in Germany and Switzerland and will have to here if ever they are legalised for on-road use in the UK, third party insurance as well of course.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wouldnt the bikes also need fixed lights and brake lights?
No, the only motor vehicle regulations imposed on the fast ebike class where it exists are the registration with number plates, free tax disc and insurance, though approved bike helmets are compulsory as well. If we were to legalise, no doubt we would follow the German example for EU harmonisation reasons. The lack of requirement for a brake light may be due to them being restricted to 40 kph (25 mph), slower than any other motor vehicle.

Low powered mopeds are a bit different, the same regulations plus MOT as I understand it, but helmets do not have to be worn as they are restricted to 15 mph assisted.

Last edited:

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
No, the only motor vehicle regulations imposed on the fast ebike class where it exists are the registration with number plates, free tax disc and insurance, though approved bike helmets are compulsory as well. If we were to legalise, no doubt we would follow the German example for EU harmonisation reasons. The lack of requirement for a brake light may be due to them being restricted to 40 kph (25 mph), slower than any other motor vehicle.

Low powered mopeds are a bit different, the same regulations plus MOT as I understand it, but helmets do not have to be worn as they are restricted to 15 mph assisted.
Im interested in this as my father in law is pretty imobile and I think these bikes may be ideal for his hilly neighbourhood.Im confused,Ive just spoken to some guy at the singhe vehicle testing thingy place.He said a low powered moped under 1000w restrited to 25kph needed a helmet?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Im interested in this as my father in law is pretty imobile and I think these bikes may be ideal for his hilly neighbourhood.Im confused,Ive just spoken to some guy at the singhe vehicle testing thingy place.He said a low powered moped under 1000w restrited to 25kph needed a helmet?
Then he's probably right, I've had to piece together the information from various bits as there's no complete source available, and I had seen no mention of helmets. If the law exists as he says, it probably means motorcycle helmets, but if the machine is bike based I'm sure one would get away with a cycle helmet, particularly if the full head style cycle helmet like this Casco.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Then he's probably right, I've had to piece together the information from various bits as there's no complete source available, and I had seen no mention of helmets. If the law exists as he says, it probably means motorcycle helmets, but if the machine is bike based I'm sure one would get away with a cycle helmet, particularly if the full head style cycle helmet like this Casco.
Yes,I think he mentioned open face helmets.

nogelt123

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 20, 2009
Thank you for your responses...
My feeling was that I would not find anyhting that could do this as flecc suggests, so I am interested to see your response nogelt123 - what is your setup? what sort of hills are you able to climb?

Thanks
My bike is a chinese folding model with a 250watt motor and a 8ah lithium battery,pedelec only no throttle.I am considering adding a throttle as starting from a dead stop
is tough fo me.I am a big guy,125kilo so I added double walled wheels and quality butted spokes (20" wheels ).
In quebec the regulations state a motor of no more than 500 watts and a max speed of 32 kmh. Electric scooters
without pedels seem to fall under the radar as most are unlicenced in montreal.We have very large hills here as montreal is built around a mountain 1200ft and the rest
of the city is near sea level.
It is time to pressure law makers to make exemptions with respect to ebikes and people with physical disabilities!
I think that larger geared motors should be made available to the disabled who cannot pedal yet still are able to balance and have good eyesight.
Perhaps offer tax credits and other incentives to make these bikes more affordable.
Regardless of you situation wear a helmet,I fell at a stoplight and and cracked my helmet saving my head
from injury.

Last edited:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I have CFS/ME too

This thread saves me asking the same question.I also have ME, I have had it for a few years now, I used to be a very active walker/cyclist, four years ago I was a club level cyclist.

I have arrived here after looking into getting a Golf buggy, I hate the mobility scooters. I'm 43. Friends were horrified by my idea, I also realised that I need to try and keep as active as my condition allows, knowing only too well that if you don't use it you loose it.

Currently on a good day I can walk for about 10 minutes, I've not tried the bike for ages, but imagine I'd be OK for a while on the flat or gentle hills.

I'm looking for a bike that will allow me to go for a gentle pootle round, canal tow-path, old railway cycle path, along the prom, but also assist me up some of my local Peak District roads if I got carried away.

I imagine an off-the-peg bike will fit the bill, however having said that it would be interesting to see what the full potential of an electric bicycle could be without the constraints of having to comply with the law.

A mobility scooter/ Golf buggy can be purchased VAT free for people on High rate mobility, I wonder if anyone has ever done the same with an electric bike?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm looking for a bike that will allow me to go for a gentle pootle round, canal tow-path, old railway cycle path, along the prom, but also assist me up some of my local Peak District roads if I got carried away.

I imagine an off-the-peg bike will fit the bill, however having said that it would be interesting to see what the full potential of an electric bicycle could be without the constraints of having to comply with the law.
Many e-bikes will fit that need, so long as you don't expect to tackle the steepest hills with minimal pedalling, but when selecting a model, check in here for the suitability. Not only do the peak power levels vary, the way in which the motors are internally geared also affects the climb ability, and some can be very unsuitable.

A mobility scooter/ Golf buggy can be purchased VAT free for people on High rate mobility, I wonder if anyone has ever done the same with an electric bike?
I rather doubt it, those have long been accepted as suitable, and arguably, golf buggies exist for mobility impaired reasons. Fit golfers and caddies usually walk, and those who do use golf buggies in the UK are I suspect often showing off their ability to afford their use! E-bikes haven't qualified for any other concessions, like those for "green" vehicles for example, but it would be worth trying.

theWoosh

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks folks for your thoughts...

I had already been looking at higher power motors from the US, and was aware of the UK restrictions, however, surely unless you go and tell the DLA, they are never gonna know you are riding a bike with a motor capable of over 20w (unless you drive around with it at 30+ ! - remember this is only to get her up hills - I know her well enough to know 15mph will be plenty!) ? She has a motorbike licence so she won't be silly.
PS she only weighs 9 and a bit stone

The big problem is that the only real way to know if it is going to work is to try it out - and I can't afford to spend a huge pile of money on the offchance. Is there anyone in the SouthWest (Devon area preferably) that sells this sort of kit or owns such a bike that wouldn't mind letting us try it out?

Thanks for all your input, it's much appreciated...

theWoosh

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
nogelt123 - glad to hear that this bike is working for you. My partner however is rather more limited in her mobility than yourself... she can mange maybe 75 meters walking and there is no way she could walk a km, even with a bike to hold onto. The bike would need to be capable of starting on the throttle only, since she may not be able to exert any force at times. She only weighs about 60kg though. Do you still think this might be possible for her?

Many thanks