e bike fires

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You might think I'm joking, but shortly after I converted my bike, I bought a rope ladder to escape out of the bedroom window.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I've just been reading several technical accounts/websites regarding charging in low temperatures and it seems that charging say at zero degC or lower, can damage the battery irreversibly which on subsequent charging could lead to problems.

If this is the case then anyone with any brand Lithium Iron battery pack could find themselves in this position.

Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've just been reading several technical accounts/websites regarding charging in low temperatures and it seems that charging say at zero degC or lower, can damage the battery irreversibly which on subsequent charging could lead to problems.

If this is the case then anyone with any brand Lithium Iron battery pack could find themselves in this position.
One of several reasons I don't like the idea of batteries that cannot be very easily removed (eg for charging).

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One of several reasons I don't like the idea of batteries that cannot be very easily removed (eg for charging).
I'd prefer an overhead grid powering all vehicles, like dodgems. Or under tarmac. Or microwave lasers on the roadsides, shooting at vehicles to charge capacitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjpt

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
With the increase of ebikes and scooters caused by the pandemic, there will be more reports of fires.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Problem with scooters is the abuse they take and the fact the battery is low to the ground where it takes all the punishment. Also the charging, how many are plugged in and left connected after charging and forgotten about.

Reactions: sjpt and guerney

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
You might think I'm joking, but shortly after I converted my bike, I bought a rope ladder to escape out of the bedroom window.
I almost did the same, then remembered I didn't have an upstairs.

• :D
Reactions: Yak and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Would one of these put out a lithium battery fire? One could be kept above the battery while stored or charging. I may well order one:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

when a batt goes in to thermal runaway it is pretty much a explosion rather than fire so you wont put it out until the cells are no more.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm starting to wonder if I should store my ebike battery inside an iron box on a flagstone containing a few fire extinguishing balls and similar

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We sent men to the moon (I wasn't involved) - surely in this day and age it's not beyond the realms of possibility that chargers could be made to stop charging, when the battery is fully charged?

Reactions: Andy-Mat

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they have bigger ones just search for ammo box ;)

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
they have bigger ones just search for ammo box ;)
The search for a big metal box to accommodate my balls continues... hope they're not radioactive, my balls don't like radioactive - I'll end up with more balls than I need :oops:

Reactions: PC2017

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: guerney

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I seem to remember, when Boeing first launched their 787 dreamliner, it was soon grounded because of a fire in the lithium ion battery that was part of the system.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc