E-bike holidays in Europe

Andrew K

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2014
Edinburgh
Has anyone tried one of the e-bike touring holidays in europe that are now widely available from loads of bike touring companies (such as Inntravel, Headwater, saddle-skeddadle etc.)? Some of these look pretty good and fairly easy for an only moderately fit old bloke plus partner but I'm a bit worried about what sort of bikes/batteries are provided. I feel that I would rather do one on a decent conventional hybrid/trekking bike rather than a rubbish e-bike. If anyone has any experience of these holidays I would be glad to hear any opinions.

Reactions: Mike.52

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Has anyone tried one of the e-bike touring holidays in europe that are now widely available from loads of bike touring companies (such as Inntravel, Headwater, saddle-skeddadle etc.)? Some of these look pretty good and fairly easy for an only moderately fit old bloke plus partner but I'm a bit worried about what sort of bikes/batteries are provided. I feel that I would rather do one on a decent conventional hybrid/trekking bike rather than a rubbish e-bike. If anyone has any experience of these holidays I would be glad to hear any opinions.
Different companies use different bikes. I've seen all sorts used from crappy to reasonable. Either look at photos from the company you go with, otherwise ask. Note that some of the companies you book with are more like booking agents. They don't know anything much about the company actually doing the tour. You have to find out who that is and check them out.

Andrew K

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2014
Edinburgh
I went on holiday in France with cycling for softies a year or so after I first posted. It was a good holiday with decent bosch e-bikes but fairly pricey. Since then I've mostly done Scottish holidays, staying in a cottage and riding local trails/roads which is a lot more cost effective and just as enjoyable. Despite being in Scotland the weather in Summer is mostly OK apart from the odd rainy day and the midges only get you when you stop. Now that I'm 70+ the lure of foreign parts has lessened but I'm still riding and enjoying both my commuter bike and hardtail e-bike doing some easy gravel.

Reactions: flecc and Az.

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
I enjoyed my trip to the Netherlands which, whilst almost completely flat, does have some strong coastal winds which ebikes devour with ease. I think that it only cost £5 for the bike on DFDS (a few years ago). It goes without saying that the extensive network of well signposted cycle tracks makes touring a load of fun.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I try to do a couple of cycling tours every year in Europe, the past couple of years on the ebike. All independent (with my brov), train with bike down to Dover, then on DFDS to Dunkirk/Calais (foot passenger with bike £25 each way)

Ibis, Novotel, B&B Hotels group etc and rides between towns of about 60-70miles per day, mainly canal or river cycle ways (Belgium, Holland, France, Germany etc). Sometimes we'll stay in the same hotel for a couple of nights (Antwerp, Bruges, Ypres ect) and do circular day rides (or go one way on the train and cycle back)

All hotels we have found have good secure bike storage (underground secure garage with bike racks, or a secure luggage room, or a dedicated cycle lockup), we email ahead if it's a chain we haven't used before to check. Hotels come in at about £40-80 per night per room, and plenty of cheap eats during the day (baguette, pate, fruit, pastries) and beers and frites, ribs, kebabs, burgers etc for dinner

Cycling in Belgium, Holland, Germany is a real joy, the huge network of traffic free cycling routes along canals and rivers is amazing

IMG-20220627-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20220625-WA0001.jpg

IMG_20220622_095821845_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230330_190846078.jpg

Reactions: esuark

Mike.52

Just Joined
Dec 31, 2023
I enjoyed my trip to the Netherlands which, whilst almost completely flat, does have some strong coastal winds which ebikes devour with ease. I think that it only cost £5 for the bike on DFDS (a few years ago). It goes without saying that the extensive network of well signposted cycle tracks makes touring a load of fun.
Netherlands is great for cycling. Flat, scenic, and decent weather
:)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I seem to remember Valkenburg having an airforce base when I was there in my youth, F104's in the proper days of sleek interceptor jets. F104's had a history all around the worlds airforces of being a widow maker to those who flew them.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I seem to remember Valkenburg having an airforce base when I was there in my youth, F104's in the proper days of sleek interceptor jets. F104's had a history all around the worlds airforces of being a widow maker to those who flew them.
The only thing I remember about Valkenburg were the Croakey crisps that I had to eat in the hotel because the restaurant was shut. You'll never guess where they were made. I'll give you a clue. Frogs might have been involved.

• :D
Reactions: Mike.52 and Nealh

Advertisers