E bike intolerance

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
Hi all,
We needed some essentials today, so I got up bright and early and headed for the local supermarket. As it has been a nice sunny day I decided to use my bike instead of the family car. It was about 8:45 when I arrived and there was sizeable queue outside, so I locked up my bike retrieved my bags from the panniers and walked towards the end of the line to await my turn.

A man in the queue started shouting out that I should not be out on an electric bike as bikes should only be used for exercise, and electric bikes don't give you exercise. I enquired how he thought the pedals went round, perhaps a little pixie did it! I informed this fountain of all knowledge that my bike is my personal transport, to which he stated bikes were not made for transport. I told him that most of Asia would probably disagree with that and perhaps he should do the World a favour and mind his own bloody business.

It just goes to show that even in times of national crisis pig ignorance refuses to die!

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I told him that most of Asia would probably disagree with that and perhaps he should do the World a favour and mind his own bloody business.
A very restrained response from a bus driver, sometimes I miss my bus driving days and the encounters with the many fountains of knowledge that travel on public transport.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi all,
We needed some essentials today, so I got up bright and early and headed for the local supermarket. As it has been a nice sunny day I decided to use my bike instead of the family car. It was about 8:45 when I arrived and there was sizeable queue outside, so I locked up my bike retrieved my bags from the panniers and walked towards the end of the line to await my turn.

A man in the queue started shouting out that I should not be out on an electric bike as bikes should only be used for exercise, and electric bikes don't give you exercise. I enquired how he thought the pedals went round, perhaps a little pixie did it! I informed this fountain of all knowledge that my bike is my personal transport, to which he stated bikes were not made for transport. I told him that most of Asia would probably disagree with that and perhaps he should do the World a favour and mind his own bloody business.

It just goes to show that even in times of national crisis pig ignorance refuses to die!
He was doubly wrong since your listed permitted reason for being out was shopping for food, not exercise, and for that you can use any means to get there.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi all,

Well done!
I've seen that sort of pig ignorance here and I have found that 5 minutes on my bike shuts them up completely....
regards
Andy

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Hi all,

presumably if your bike had a Yamaha 750 engine that would have been OK - but a 250w electric engine with no emissions is a problem
or maybe you should have a 2.0l Diesel engine in a Mondeo - like the last person who told be I was cheating

people are weird

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Amoto65

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I’ve had a couple of times that drivers have shouted at me to get home and stay in.
Ive developed a rather interesting phrase noW and if delivered quickly enough I’ve found to work.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I’ve had a couple of times that drivers have shouted at me to get home and stay in.
Ive developed a rather interesting phrase noW and if delivered quickly enough I’ve found to work.
Care to share- or it is not suitable for a public forum???
like maybe it ends in off

Maleyale

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2020
You should have bought him some tissues whole you were in the shop. Then told him to dry his eyes and get a life.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
We all have similar at one time or another.
A chap said to me once that nothing should be allowed that assists with moving along. I asked him if he was going to remove his shoes then.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
If you are not allowed anything that help with moving along then I presume this person was on a bike with no gears??

and naturally they didn't - and never - use a car to get the bike to a nice place to ride