e-Bike of the Year 2011

Which of the following bikes, based on your own opinions, is the best one of 2011

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Two polls based on the nominations received over the past few days. The first poll is for the e-Bike of the year and you may vote for it based on any criteria you like. It is the factors which are most important to you which count.

On the second poll, you should vote for the bike from the list of nomination which you would be most likely to buy if money was not a consideration.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Haibike EQ XDURO Gets my vote.

D

Deleted member 4366

You've bisased the results by asking the wrong question. It should've been headed "Vote for Ebike of the year", because it's natural that people would buy the ones with the best specification if money isn't a consideration. How can a Cyclamatic compare with a Haibike. It's only when you consider value that it can compete.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
£2795......bloody hell!
There's a market for them and we have owner members. It's around half the price of it's one direct competitor, the BikeTec Flyer X and there are a number of other brands dearer, so I don't think it unreasonable.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
There's a market for them and we have owner members. It's around half the price of it's one direct competitor, the BikeTec Flyer X and there are a number of other brands dearer, so I don't think it unreasonable.
we have 2 members on here who own Optibikes and these are around 8k? Or possibily more I believe....

I just dont think that 2-3k is an out of this world sum in this day and age for a decent bike!

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
You've bisased the results by asking the wrong question. It should've been headed "Vote for Ebike of the year", because it's natural that people would buy the ones with the best specification if money isn't a consideration. How can a Cyclamatic compare with a Haibike. It's only when you consider value that it can compete.
The question that I have asked is:

"Which of the following bikes, based on your own opinions, is the best one of 2011?"

I don't understand what point you are trying to make. I have re-read the question several times and I can't find any hint of a suggestion that the cost of the bike should be ignored.

A Haibike can compare with a Cyclamatic if it IS YOUR OPINION that the Haibike does not deliver £2000 worth of extra value over the cost of the the Cyclamatic. It's all very simple.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
The Haibike EXDURO for it's ability to go anywhere. The componenents are all very good quality hence the high price.

OTH

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2010
There's something odd here I think. The Storck is way ahead of the Haibike in the poll where money is no object. But the position is reversed here. This doesn't make sense as they both cost a very similar amount.

Or am I missing something?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Out of those bikes listed if you asked me what would I want to ride. Thats what I picked. I've forgot about value and just picked.

It's still more than I'd pay for a bike but I always try to get something for a 10th if the cost. It's what good buyers and merchandisers do :)

Still there all very good bikes

D

Deleted member 4366

There's something odd here I think. The Storck is way ahead of the Haibike in the poll where money is no object. But the position is reversed here. This doesn't make sense as they both cost a very similar amount.

Or am I missing something?
I've ridden both. The Haibike had better suspension, felt lighter, was miles more powerful, had smpother gearchange and climbed the hills a lot better. The Storck just felt like and rode like any of the other hub-motor ebikes that cost a lot less to me.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Darn it, I missed the nominations. Tillson is it too late to enter the Outrider Trek Hill-climbing Electric Recumbent?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Darn it, I missed the nominations. Tillson is it too late to enter the Outrider Trek Hill-climbing Electric Recumbent?
I think it is. I've just looked and I can't see how to edit the list. Maybe one for 2012.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I've ridden both. The Haibike had better suspension, felt lighter, was miles more powerful, had smpother gearchange and climbed the hills a lot better. The Storck just felt like and rode like any of the other hub-motor ebikes that cost a lot less to me.
I think you may just have exploded something of a myth with your comparative comments there D8veh. Like OTH, I wondered why the Storck product was getting so many votes as it doesn't seem all that special on reading the spec. While it may be a very nice ebike when viewed subjectively, I feel the Haibike represents a greater departure from what we have known before and as an MTB, is beautifully executed.

Having said that, I'd guess most people would be happy with either compared to the heavy, cumbersome machines still on sale.

Indalo

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think you may just have exploded something of a myth with your comparative comments there D8veh. Like OTH, I wondered why the Storck product was getting so many votes as it doesn't seem all that special on reading the spec. While it may be a very nice ebike when viewed subjectively, I feel the Haibike represents a greater departure from what we have known before and as an MTB, is beautifully executed.

Having said that, I'd guess most people would be happy with either compared to the heavy, cumbersome machines still on sale.

Indalo

Have to agree with Indalo & D8veh this is all very odd........ I mean one member on here has voted for it and he only looked at the Stork in a shop!lol

The system of the year is indisputably Bosch, and like said the twin suspension Haibike a real breakthrough in ability at the price........

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Storck votes may be based on the good reception the motor it uses has had in mainland Europe where a few manufacturers are now using it. The claims for it may also have had an effect:

"The motors are built in Switzerland to very precise tolerances, are unique and very sophisticated with a patented torque sensor in the motor. The lithium polymer battery cells are all matched to provide an even charge and discharge rate before they are assembled in the battery pack in Germany."

There is a widely held preference for European manufacture over that from the Far East which will garner votes.

Mischievously, the Storck is definitely the e-bike of the year in some respects though, best hyped, most named-dropped e-bike publicity (Cosworth, Marcus Storck etc), best importer at staying calm and not reacting in the face of numerous taunts (Ian Hughes)!