E bike problem

Peat

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2021
Hello there,
First post.

I have a freego electric bike. I was cycling in the rain, reached my destination, locked up and as I went to pull away after a few hours there was no power reaching the motor. I've checked the connections and they seem to be ok, although it was pretty damp on the control box under the battery. I've done a bit of testing with the multimeter but I don't really know what I'm doing and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it. The display is working but there is no power reaching the motor.

I am based near Stroud in Gloucestershire and I have tried ringing all the local ebike shops and bike shops and no one will look at it as it is a generic chinese bike with no plug in diagnostics.

Can anyone give me any advice or know if anyone fairly locally who would be up for having a look at it?

Any help much appreciated.
Pete

Reactions: artspeck

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It shouldn't be anything too serious. Before anything, test whether it works with the pedal sensor after you disconnect the throttle and the two brakes.

There are many different Freegos, each with many versions. You need to be a lot more specific if you want specific help. Photos of what's on the handlebars and of the whole bike would help.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Leaving a bike in standing rain isn't a good option ideally it needs cover of some sort.
Try and rule out a few simple options to rule out some tampering or something may have been knocked.
1. Check the hub motor connector is fully together, trace the cable from the hub to the connector. Don't just look at it but physically undo it and reconnect, some one may have tried to tamper with it.
2. Check the PAS sensor magnet under the BB is the sensor secure and the magnet disc firmly fixed on the axle, check the gap is very close like 1mm.

Damp/wet may have got into the controller so may have interrupted/shorted the 5v line.
Check Gnd to 5v on PAS or throttle to check it has 5v use the 20v scale on the meter.
5v is Red or Brown wire, Gnd Black or if no Black then Yellow. Place the probes up the back of the connectors at the controller for a contact, trace the wire from the throttle or PAS for correct connector.

Peat

May 25, 2021
Thanks for your reply. It is a freego hawk. It doesn't work with those things disconnected.

Peat

May 25, 2021
Leaving a bike in standing rain isn't a good option ideally it needs cover of some sort.
Try and rule out a few simple options to rule out some tampering or something may have been knocked.
1. Check the hub motor connector is fully together, trace the cable from the hub to the connector. Don't just look at it but physically undo it and reconnect, some one may have tried to tamper with it.
2. Check the PAS sensor magnet under the BB is the sensor secure and the magnet disc firmly fixed on the axle, check the gap is very close like 1mm.

Damp/wet may have got into the controller so may have interrupted/shorted the 5v line.
Check Gnd to 5v on PAS or throttle to check it has 5v use the 20v scale on the meter.
5v is Red or Brown wire, Gnd Black or if no Black then Yellow. Place the probes up the back of the connectors at the controller for a contact, trace the wire from the throttle or PAS for correct connector.
Thanks Neal, I've checked those things too.

Motor connector looks good, magnets look good.

I checked black to red and its reading 40v. There is no brown.

Peat

May 25, 2021
Actually i've found it for the throttle now, reading 4.3v

Peat

May 25, 2021
OK, the wheel just started turning of its own accord when I had my back turned....

Peat

May 25, 2021
It is now working. I'm not sure what I did to get it working so that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that it will continue to...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 5v line eventually if not fried will dry out so what you experienced may occur or possibly a loose connection or disturbed one.
Tbh the fault is likely to be anywhere inc the display or throttle, something likely has dried out and the fault has cleared it self.

The problem isn't a major one but just something that might occur when leaving a bike in standing rain, you will probably be ok now but wary where you leave when raining or buy a cape or motorcycle cover to sling over the bike .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks Neal, I've checked those things too.

Motor connector looks good, magnets look good.

I checked black to red and its reading 40v. There is no brown.
That's the main power supply line battery to controller and not the 5v line that the peripheral bits with hall sensors use.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
On both my bikes I put a liberal dose of evostick at all points where cables enter appliances. Also, when parking in the rain I turn the handlebar control pad to the vertical to stop water collecting.

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
Hello there,
First post.

I have a freego electric bike. I was cycling in the rain, reached my destination, locked up and as I went to pull away after a few hours there was no power reaching the motor. I've checked the connections and they seem to be ok, although it was pretty damp on the control box under the battery. I've done a bit of testing with the multimeter but I don't really know what I'm doing and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it. The display is working but there is no power reaching the motor.

I am based near Stroud in Gloucestershire and I have tried ringing all the local ebike shops and bike shops and no one will look at it as it is a generic chinese bike with no plug in diagnostics.

Can anyone give me any advice or know if anyone fairly locally who would be up for having a look at it?

Any help much appreciated.
Pete

Peat

May 25, 2021
Thanks for your help everyone. Its been great to have such great rapid and freely given advice. Cheers!

Apply to join Freego Owners Past and Present on Facebook to connect with 1400+ Freego Owners.
Thanks artspeck but i'm not on facebook. But its good to know that you have multiple freego bikes and that you obviously rate them. Cheers

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I had a similar incident with my old Ezee sprint many years ago. We were listening to a concert rehearsal in a village church and had not realised there had been a cloudburst.
Bike was totally dead when I tried to ride it so had to struggle along without assistance. Fortunately, after a few miles in the brilliant sunshine we then had, it began to spring to life. Only time I ever had a problem on that bike.