E Bike Profit Margins and discounting etiquette

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
To date, my most expensive kit purchases have been to support my Kayaking kit addiction, new boats, drysuits, paddles, helmets, buoyancy aids etc etc – very few purchases have been below £100 and I have a good relationship with my two local shops and a number of on line retailers.

With these purchases it has generally been accepted that at some point in the purchasing conversation I will enquire as to the “best possible price” they can offer me,, or will they be “knocking off the usual 10%” or some other comment to make it clear that I would be wanting at least 10% off, and preferably nearer 15% if its not a current hot item. This has generally been an accepted part if the game and I have very rarely paid the full asking price for any item of kit.

My plan is that 2010 will be the year when I buy an e-bike and start cycling to work – the potential to be a regular e-bike kit purchaser is stretching out before me and very excited about it all I am too!

So, the question posed to the learned members of this forum –

Are e-bike margins generally good enough to play the discounting game here as well? Or would such requests be considered rude and be met with a “how very dare you Sir” response?! Is 10% an accepted norm, is it worth aiming for 15%, or are times so tight that such suggestions would in reality push the retailer close to making nothing on the transaction – what is the accepted etiquette here?

Obviously I`ll be wanting to get the best possible deal I can, but I also want to be able to continue to be welcome in the shop afterwards for advice, after sales support and future purchases – the relationship needs to built on trust and respect so any hints on the “rules” of the game here would be appreciated.

Thanks for any advice

Bob_about

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
They are like any other shop I guess, there are certainly sales and discounts offered on ebikes. If demand outstrips supply (which is not unusual AFAIK) then you might find it hard going.

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
In my opinion, if you don't ask you don't get :) , and I don't think I've ever offended anyone by suggesting politely that since I was spending a shedload of cash a discount would be very welcome. Some immediately offer a reduced price, some merely say that alas, they cannot. In the latter case it's then up to me to purchase or not as I choose.

Obviously it tends to work best on widely available items with a high markup (anything from a jewellers, even high street chains will give you a discount without blinking if you point out there are 3 other shops in town selling the same item, so why should you buy it from them?) but small independent shops are good too especially if you catch them at a slow sales time. February is usually quite dead.

On the other hand if you buy something with a limited distribution and a restricted availability (I'm thinking my new dutch pushbike here) there was no sense when in the shop that haggling would work so I didn't even try.

I buy software for my company reasonably often and I always ask for a discount due to our charitable status, and I always get it!

But I'm sure you know all this already - maybe try for a discount on a 2009 model if you're not fussed about the latest tech?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Shop around and be prepared to haggle:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's no recognised amount or scale of discounting of e-bikes. The online suppliers don't normally entertain giving individual customer discounts but do sometimes have end of season and stock clearance reductions which can be quite substantial.

Wth brands sold through shops it's entirely up to the individual shop of course, so worth a try. Don't expect too much though, e-bikes are often slow selling stock so don't have much margin when related to floor or stock space occupation time.

As you say, service and the relationship with your dealer are too important to risk sacrificing for the odd two or three percent extra discount.

BBB

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2007
I think you will find the margins to dealers are not that great to offer discounts, also some small intermittent problems can take hours to find, and most dealers just charge the time it takes to fix the problem, not the whole time to source it.

The worst type of retailers are the ones that offer discounts, but no back up.