E-bike rider insurance & e-bike insurance views are appreciated

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I feel conserned that I should have liability insurance even more when riding my e- bike, of course I have it for my motorcycles and car but not at the moment for the e-bike, also have no insurance for the bike itself which is a 2011 Batribike Quartz, any leads on ins companies who might deal with this?

+ how does one add a “Quote” to a thread?

PS Can someone please refresh my faded mind where I can get a high decibel WOW—WOW cycle alarm, someone mentioned same integral with tail light but I can’t find reference to it.
Ta very much......

Jim

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I feel concerned that I should have liability insurance even more when riding my e- bike, of course I have it for my motorcycles and car but not at the moment for the e-bike, also have no insurance for the bike itself which is a 2011 Batribike Quartz, any leads on ins companies who might deal with this?
I don't think many insurance companies will think that a 7 year old bike has any value, 5 years is about tops I would think with 20% devaluation per year.

+ how does one add a “Quote” to a thread?
Click reply in the bottom right corner. To see the code click on the spanner in the top right corner.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
When clicking post reply I got “Please enter a valid message.......”
Don’t follow that?
Can’t find a spanner!

Ok - found spanner!

Jim

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
When clicking post reply I got “Please enter a valid message.......”
Don’t follow that?
Can’t find a spanner!

Ok - found spanner!

Jim
Are you using your phone to post?

Skippy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 7, 2018
Wales
Hi Jim,

lexhaminsurance?? £5mill public liability + £200 bike cover starts at £17pa\£20 inc family members. Premium rises according to market value of your bike. Bikes over 3 years paid out at market value. Policy facts\docs can be viewed on their website to see if the cover suits.

This is NOT a recommendation because I have never used them. Like you I’m looking at taking out liability insurance after a recent incident but due to other commitments I haven't got far with my research.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
.... as does probably your household insurance if it covers your bicycle

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Thanks guys although the info came late, I looked on-line and came across Velosure insurance, cost was a bit higher at £62.80 pa but everything is now covered and I feel able to bike safely.....

I think one has to be careful where one bikes because there are claimant types who look for an ideal oportunity to make false claims - a kind of ‘living’ occupation.

Jim

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I switched my house insurance to Bradford & Bingley who cover my ebike even when away from home, as a specified item.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
My e-bikes have a real value to me even having bought them as used for about 1/2 price or less because my walking is very restricted atabout 100 yds before I fall down in pain so to say my bikes are worthless insurance wise is a bit of an insult, I did insure with Velosure but am about to cancel the so called policy because according to that policy if I were to make a 3rd party injury claim I’m liable for £500 excess - NO WAY!
lexhaminsurance

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I am noticing that insuring a pedal cycle is one thing - and not terribly expensive — BUT adding an ‘e’ to a bike results in much greater cost......
And much higher Excesses.

Jim

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I kicked Velosure insurance into touch before it became active and got a full refund, now insured with Yellow Jersey Insurance, much more reasonable but with it came a slightly discounted offer of a Litelok device which I bought, then - after having seen the U tube video showing failure after 16 seconds I’ve asked for a refund on that too.
Eventually I’ll sort it....

Jim

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I kicked Velosure insurance into touch before it became active and got a full refund, now insured with Yellow Jersey Insurance, much more reasonable but with it came a slightly discounted offer of a Litelok device which I bought, then - after having seen the U tube video showing failure after 16 seconds I’ve asked for a refund on that too.
Eventually I’ll sort it....

Jim
problem is nothing you can buy will stop someone robbing it, if it has a lock it can be picked in seconds and also cut through in not much longer.