E-bike rider weeps as he is cleared of death by careless driving

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think we all are but he was on trial/in the dock accused of riding without due care and attention to which his peers ( a jury) cleared him of , laying the blame for incident with the unfortunate women who walked into his path.
It is said he pled guilty to riding an uninsured /registered higher powered bike but he wasn't on trial for the bike use, so whether or not he will get fined and points is unknown or a suspended sentence for this who knows.

If a private case is brought against him then it might not be all over done and dusted yet.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If this happened in France they might even have bought the Guillotine out of retirement, last used in 1977.
Seriously though he would have been likely more severely dealt with by the republic.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think we all are but he was on trial/in the dock accused of riding without due care and attention to which his peers ( a jury) cleared him of , laying the blame for incident with the unfortunate women who walked into his path.
It is said he pled guilty to riding an uninsured /registered higher powered bike but he wasn't on trial for the bike use, so whether or not he will get fined and points is unknown or a suspended sentence for this who knows.

If a private case is brought against him then it might not be all over done and dusted yet.
He denied all three charges and was found not guilty of all three charges.

The other two, causing a death by while riding unlicensed, and causing a death while riding uninsured. require an element of bad riding to be proved.

Since the jury acquitted him of careless in the death by charge, it would have been perverse to find him guilty of the other two.

Although they could have done.

Juries occasionally come up with a mix of verdicts that look odd.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Sorry, but this collision was entirely the fault of the pedestrian who ignored the Highway Code.

How to Cross a Road Safely
  • THINK FIRST - PLAN. Find the safest place to cross then stop. ...
  • STOP. Stand on the pavement little way back from the edge. ...
  • WATCH AND LISTEN. Look for traffic in all directions and listen.
  • WAIT UNTIL IT'S SAFE. Wait patiently and let the traffic pass. ...
  • WATCH AND LISTEN. When it's safe, walk directly across the road.

D

Deleted member 25121

As I've said elsewhere, it will be interesting to see if follow up charges are made against him for riding an illegal machine, having no insurance, speeding, no insurance etc etc.

If not, the pedelec law is a farce and many more people will be ignoring it.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As I've said elsewhere, it will be interesting to see if follow up charges are made against him for riding an illegal machine, having no insurance, speeding, no insurance etc etc.

If not, the pedelec law is a farce and many more people will be ignoring it.
There can be no 'follow up' charges.

He was acquitted of causing a death while riding uninsured and without a licence.

That's it, the criminal case is finished.

Following the abolition of double jeopardy, the death by careless charge could in theory be reopened, but only if there is significant new evidence.

Realistically, there cannot be any new evidence that is so significant as to warrant reopening the case.

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
End of the day justice has been applied, a sitting jury have deliberated and found him not guilty.
It doesn't matter if we agree or disagree with the jury's verdict.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
End of the day justice has been applied, a sitting jury have deliberated and found him not guilty.
It doesn't matter if we agree or disagree with the jury's verdict.
They heard the evidence and they saw his demeanour in court which is more than I did! On that basis who am I to question their decision.

Whilst I’m surprised at the outcome, that’s the basis of our justice system.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Sorry, but this collision was entirely the fault of the pedestrian who ignored the Highway Code.
Wow that is really harsh and thoughtless, at the end of the day the guy was riding an illegal bike which should not have been on the road at all, and then ran off after the accident. I wonder how you would feel if one of your loved ones was killed by an illegal driver?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
He was acquitted of causing a death while riding uninsured and without a licence.
Following the abolition of double jeopardy, the death by careless charge could in theory be reopened, but only if there is significant new evidence.
But can't the other features (riding while uninsured, riding while untaxed, etc) still be brought? (genuinely a question as I don't understand the law here). As I understood from earlier posts (but maybe misunderstood) they were even admitted by the defence. I don't think they would even require a court case. They would add up to a relatively small fine, confiscation of the bike, and if he has a driving licence lots of points (probably enough to lose the license). Much heftier fine if it did go to court.

D

Deleted member 25121

But he hasn't been charged (yet) with riding while uninsured and without a licence. Those are different charges aren't they???

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
He was charged with causing a death while uninsured, and causing a death while riding without a licence.

He was found not guilty by the jury of both charges.

That is the end of it.

The prosecution cannot now go back and lay other charges arising from the same incident.

The double jeopardy rule that you cannot be tried twice for the same offence has been changed following the case of an acquitted murderer who confessed to a cell mate years later.

But there will only be a second trial in truly exceptional circumstances in which significant new evidence emerges.

Realistically, that cannot happen in this case.

D

Deleted member 25121

The prosecution cannot now go back and lay other charges arising from the same incident.
Double jeopardy prevents a person from being tried again for the "same crime", I'm not sure of the relevance of "same incident" in this context.

I'd have thought that the crime of riding while uninsured and without a licence is different to the crime of causing death while riding uninsured and without a licence.

Anyway, time will tell in this case....

Reactions: KirstinS

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I'd have thought that the crime of riding while uninsured and without a licence is different to the crime of causing death while riding uninsured and without a licence.
They are different, because they're not 'crimes'. They're driving offences. Upon conviction of those offences, they would not appear on a criminal record.

• Agree
Reactions: KirstinS and flecc

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Maybe he has already admitted to the other offenses, and simply been fixed penalty fined....
Andy