E-bike riders get more exercise than regular cyclists, according to results of new study

DroidOne

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
Stockholm (Sweden)
Interesting: https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/news/e-bike-riders-get-more-exercise-than-regular-cyclists-according-to-results-of-new-study

The study, published recently in the Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspectives journal, followed over 10,000 adults across seven European countries and analysed their riding habits, and how much physical activity they got compared to other modes of transport.
E-bikers reported longer trip distances than regular cyclists, with an average daily travel distance of 8km vs 5.3km a day respectively. It turns out this meant e-bike riders actually got more total exercise per week on average, with the researchers crediting this to the increased amount of time e-bike riders spend on their bikes.
This holds true for myself. I go on way longer trips than I ever did before, prior to owning an e-bike.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Definitely true. With my manual bike, I am limited to rides on flat ground involving having to transport my bike by car to the starting point where my limit would be about 25-30 miles (including today along the Monmouth-Brecon canal towpath). On the leccy bike, I can ride straight from home, not worry about the hilly terrain and cover many more miles.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dongles make you even fitter and faster going 30+mph you need to spin them paddles @120rpm :p

lost 10kg in the last 2 months already this year:D