E-bike sales boom despite high prices and confusing rules (and confusing BBC articles)

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
This is a confusing and confused BBC report . Reading it on the UK BBC site , it starts off and mostly covers the US standards with a couple of paragraphs on the UK situation . If I were a prospective UK e biker , I would probably be none the wiser after reading it.
Yes, the UK regs are controversial when you get to to detail but I dont think this US centric article helps the novice .

/rant over

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, very silly of the BBC to publish this which is only of use to those in the USA to help them understand their revised three part rules.

Those US rules will seem attractive to many here, until I tell them they are subject to all manner of restrictions by State authorities with each state doing their own thing. Some even insist on a driving licence and insurance to ride an e-bike.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Well all them lovely Americans pay huge sums of money towards the TVL, so why not publish a US centric article :rolleyes:

• :D

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
This is a confusing and confused BBC report . Reading it on the UK BBC site , it starts off and mostly covers the US standards with a couple of paragraphs on the UK situation . If I were a prospective UK e biker , I would probably be none the wiser after reading it.
Yes, the UK regs are controversial when you get to to detail but I dont think this US centric article helps the novice .

/rant over

Rant away.

I take a somewhat more cynical view, in that the report was written by a 'cyclist' who wanted the UK rules changed ..................

• Agree

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Rant away.

I take a somewhat more cynical view, in that the report was written by a 'cyclist' who wanted the UK rules changed ..................
Unlikely, unless they are planning to emigrate.

Bernd Debusmann Jr. is a Middle East-based journalist and writer. Prior to moving to the Arabian Gulf, he spent several years at Reuters News in TV and print in Mexico City, New York City, and Washington, D.C., reporting on everything from border issues and drug trafficking to art fraud and mob trials. His work has also appeared in The Daily Telegraph, Fox News, War is Boring, and elsewhere.

Sep 13, 2020

/rant over

A confused and badly written article. However, the author is spot on with one observation. The price of e bikes is going up.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Personally, I did not find it confusing in the author was clear enough in being specific where they were writing about.
How much value it would be to prospective UK e bike users probably was no part of the writer intensions, but then did it need to be, along with much that is written on foreign subjects, by the BBC and a whole range of other news outlets, it was informative in that context.
After all it was a BBC News Business article.