E-Bike suitable for towing Special Needs Trailer

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
Hi new to the forum! we are looking to purchase an e-bike to help with towing our 13 year old disabled daughter in a Wike Special Needs Trailer as it is getting too much like hard work for me now!
Any recommendations/advice on suitable bikes would be much appreciated, ideally we have not much more than a £1000 budget as this is money we are having to borrow!

We are considering the Halfords Carrera Crossfire-E! Do you recon it will be suitable & have the power to help in towing the trailer?

At the moment we have Carera Valours! I don't know if converting one of these would be a viable option?

Any help & advice would be much appreciated

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Looks like a good bike for a kit. May I recommend changing both the brakes for Magura hydraulic rim brakes, just the front one works well for me and my fully laden shopping trailer (40 kg). That will set you back just under £100 and add the price of a kit £500 with a 15 Ah battery.

Reactions: -Bucks-

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Looks like a good bike for a kit. May I recommend changing both the brakes for Magura hydraulic rim brakes, just the front one works well for me and my fully laden shopping trailer (40 kg). That will set you back just under £100 and add the price of a kit £500 with a 15 Ah battery.
How do you suggest they fit a cut out switch?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A button on the handlebars? Modern kits don't need cut out switches.

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
Looking at the conversion kits, I think it will be a bit beyond me! so buying the full e-bike is going to have to be the route we go also just noticed that this Carrera Crossfire-E seems to be a road bike so don't think that is going to be the most suitable

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Looking at the conversion kits, I think it will be a bit beyond me! so buying the full e-bike is going to have to be the route we go also just noticed that this Carrera Crossfire-E seems to be a road bike so don't think that is going to be the most suitable
You will need something with a lot of torque, but I'm guessing top speed is less of a concern?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Any recommendations for any with a lot of torque Alan?
It does make me think that a crank drive would be suitable, assuming that you are happy with the way the gear changes work.

Something like the Woosh Sant-and CD .

Failing that, something with a BPM hub motor.

Edit: Crossed with Trex. He always recommends a Woosh. In this case he's got a point!

While the KTM's and Haibikes will do the job, somehow they just don't fit with my (perhaps inaccurate) view of what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: -Bucks- and trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Edit: Crossed with Trex. He always recommends a Woosh. In this case he's got a point!
the OP's budget is £1,000.

For that sort of budget, woosh bikes are usually unbeatable.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
A button on the handlebars? Modern kits don't need cut out switches.
If you are riding a bike on your own, with no throttle that's one thing. You can always screech to a halt, throw it the ground and run away.

If you are towing a vulnerable person behind, likely using a throttle, it's a different matter.

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
THANKS For all the info up to now guys it's getting a bit mind boggling now!
Just to clarify it is mainly for off road use like cycling round woodlands & countryside tracks usually with quite a few hills, our daughter who I would be towing is 13 so is a decent weight to tow now & is only going to get heavier, budget £1000 - £1500

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
SW, granted that hub motors are not made for off-roading but I think the BPM torque will obliterate any Bosch motor, even the CX. Also, for towing a trailer, you can't beat the convenience of a full throttle.