E -Bike Supplies Very Low?

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I have just done a short tour of local e-bike shops around Bath and Bristol and a couple of dealers have told me that e-bike supplies across the sector are running extremely low, with some makes and models unavailable until 2015. Has anyone else heard this?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I think this is the case with certain European made bikes.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I believe this has been the case for bikes that take Bosch crank drives, though I don't know what the situation is now. I heard that Bosch's internal estimates for the number of motors to produce were too low, and a number of manufacturers were left with bike frames sitting around with no electrics to bolt them onto, for many months.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
We're also in the 2014/2015 model change over period - so if the 2014 models sold well (or they only made just enough) then we'll have to wait until the 2015 models land sometime at the end of August/throughout September.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
So, are there no Macina 10 crosses (46 or 51)available anywhere at the moment? ... And if Bosch battery supplies are low, will this have a knock on effect on stock? And most important of all, will prices go up?.

I don't think there are any Macina Cross 10 in the UK, all dealers who got stock, sold them pretty fast.

2015 Macina Cross 10 PLUS is due to be built in October, and if dealers in the UK order in the next couple of weeks they will get stock from that build.

The Cross 10 is a performance drive bike in 2015, no active line options, so the price is €2399 were hoping to announce a UK RRP of £1999.99 on Friday, so thats TBC.

But for a Performance drive bike we think thats going to be a bargain!

if you want an active line Macina Cross, you'll be looking at the Macina Cross 9. Which is being built early in September and will have a RRP of €1999. Which we hope should be £1649.99

Bascially are prices are coming down, because of the volume we're selling and because of the strength of the £.

Reactions: musicbooks and trex

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
So.. in lay man's terms .. what's the difference between a 9 and a 10.. apart from about 300 quid

So.. in lay man's terms .. what's the difference between a 9 and a 10.. apart from about 300 quid
its easier to say whats the same... which is basically just the frame.

The 10, is a PLUS, which means it comes with the Bosch Performance drive. The rest of spec across the whole bike is just a bit better, ie Shimano brakes, one more gear etc.

The 9, is Bosch Active line and 9speed shimano, rather than 10 on the 10.

Its defo worth the extra £300.00 on paper, but whether its worth it to an individual customer is something only they can decide.

I know people who spend so much money on bikes, they can't then afford go away and ride them anywhere!

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Forgive me, Col... I'm a dimwit ... and please bear in mind I haven't bought an e bike for nearly 7 years.. What is the difference between a performance drive and Active line? Will one climb a steep hill better than the other, for example?

Reactions: JamesC

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
So as I was saying, will £300 more get me up the steep hills of Bath faster?
Assist percentage is the number of times your force is multiplied on the pedals. So, 275% is better than 250% because it is a larger number.

nM is Newton-metres and is a measure of torque (or rotational force). The bigger number, the bigger the maximum amount of help (not a physicist, but I think that's about right).

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
But on the other hand.
A 10 speed chain wares faster than a 9 and the higher drain on the battery means less range.
The old Panasonic got me up baths hills ok. So if there is a cheaper one available with out a wait don't dismiss it.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi Col, Are we talking early Sept for Macina 9 and early Oct for Macina 10? The dealer in Bristol also mentioned that Bosch batteries are running very low and there are delays on some makes and models until January or Feb. Does this affect KTM supplies. I am concerned that if I order and wait, I may be in for a longer wait than anticipated.

When we schedule a build with a week number, its because the parts are secured. The Macina Cross 9 has week number (36 - which is first week in September), so we're as sure as we can be that it will be built on that week, and shipped to the UK within days.

The Macina Cross 10 is further off, so the chance of a delay is higher.

This is based on the information I have today. As with any supply chain, things can change that are outside of anyones control.

There are 50 brands that claim to be able to supply Bosch equipped bikes. In practice there are only a few that order in large enough numbers to get the drives they want when they want them. We're one of the few:)