E-bike won't wake up

Chibueve

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 17, 2020
I purchased a Suntour (Carrera) espec e-bike replacement battery after the original battery and display assembly were stolen. It took me about a year to finally get a replacement (new) Suntour display and holder. Trouble is, when I now connected everything, there does not seem to be power coming to the display. I am not sure why. The battery appears to be fully charged (displays 4 solid bars - but the blue lights also don't stay on (they disappears after a few seconds). Does anyone know how to diagnose the possible issues. I am not sure where to start, and don't have a tone of experience with e-bikes

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I purchased a Suntour (Carrera) espec e-bike replacement battery after the original battery and display assembly were stolen. It took me about a year to finally get a replacement (new) Suntour display and holder. Trouble is, when I now connected everything, there does not seem to be power coming to the display. I am not sure why. The battery appears to be fully charged (displays 4 solid bars - but the blue lights also don't stay on (they disappears after a few seconds). Does anyone know how to diagnose the possible issues. I am not sure where to start, and don't have a tone of experience with e-bikes
Did they cut the wires to remove the display unit?

Reactions: Bikes4two

Chibueve

Apr 17, 2020
No it a clean steal. They removed the display with the holder, (which is secured with a couple of screws, as well as the saddle and post :(
I have gotten all the parts back now, last one was the display/holder. But the battery is probably in deep sleep, and needs waking up

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
But the battery is probably in deep sleep, and needs waking up
Usually you need to hold the battery button down for a while - sometimes up to 20/30 seconds or so. Other batteries in deep sleep can only be woken by plugging the charger in.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
No it a clean steal. They removed the display with the holder, (which is secured with a couple of screws, as well as the saddle and post :(
I have gotten all the parts back now, last one was the display/holder. But the battery is probably in deep sleep, and needs waking up
I don't understand. Isn't the head unit wired to the controller with the connector inside the battery compartment. How did the thief remove it without cutting the wires?

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

B******s

sorry

Chibueve

Apr 17, 2020
I don't understand. Isn't the head unit wired to the controller with the connector inside the battery compartment. How did the thief remove it without cutting the wires?
the display and holder is connected to the battery cable via a 3 pin cable. Apparently not difficult to remove and steal sadly.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
the display and holder is connected to the battery cable via a 3 pin cable. Apparently not difficult to remove and steal sadly.
It needs a minimum of 5 pins. How did they remove the battery and open the compartment to get to the connector?

When you got your new LCD and holder, how did you connect it. Surely, you would know how it all is, but your explanation is a bit vague? I can't help you to solve the problem unless I understand what going on. None of what you're saying makes sense. This is what I have so far. Please correct anything that I have wrong:

You left your bike somewhere. A thief came with a good tools etc. They unscrewed the display unit, then somehow unlocked the battery, unscrewed the battery mount then the cover from the controller, then they disconnected everything and threaded the wires through the frame to remove the display unit with its cable. You've bought the parts and managed to put them all back together without knowing how you did it. Now the display switches on and doesn't respond to inputs. It shows the battery level only for a few seconds, then it switches off.

Advertisers