E-bikes are for the disabled

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
I went to a local bike shop today, and they had two different E-bikes, an MBK costing £850 and a Batavus costing £1900.

After looking at the sturdy looking Batavus, the MBK was about to be handled out to its buyer, a slim lady maybe 60 years old. I asked if I could hang around while they explained the details to her.

As I expressed my interest in an E-bike, she asked if I was also handicapped, for who else would want one?

Explaining that the purpose would be to get fitter, she suggested I should rather start training in a fitness centre :mad: My reply was that I would rather be out in fresh air than in an atmosphere of sweat and loud music.

Anyway, she didn't get the bike with her, because the controls were not working properly.

M

mk1

It's ridiculous to say ebikes are only for the disabled. They are just as much for lazy people too:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In fact I think completely the opposite to that lady, e-bikes are not at all suitable for disabled people in general.

The law requires them to be bicycles with motor assistance, so the primary requirement is that someone should be able to ride a bike in moderate conditions, the motor then assisting when the going gets difficult. That will become even more true in the UK when we get pedelec law enforced. And of course many models require a bike to be pedalled away first before the motor cuts in.

The fact that some manage with limited disability doesn't alter the fact that e-bikes are likely to disappoint many disabled people who consider their use.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
she asked if I was also handicapped, for who else would want one?
So true. That was the response I got from some people when I was considering a pedelec. I also get the response that it is lazy or cheating even though I cycle in to work and they take the car. There's just no logic!

Wait until petrol hits £5 a litre and then we'll see who thinks electric bikes are only for the disabled...

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
yeah....right

...Explaining that the purpose would be to get fitter, she suggested I should rather start training in a fitness centre :mad: My reply was that I would rather be out in fresh air than in an atmosphere of sweat and loud music..
have to say i regard my steel steed as my fitness centre, i know it weighs 40kgs loaded with locks lights and bag and just being out on it every day gives me (weather permitting) all the workout i need, i am certainly in better shape now than this time last year, blood pressure's down, weight is down, energy is up, stamina is up, mileage is doubled, breathing seems stronger, knees don't ache, and i am enjoying myself immensely.

beeps ain't disabled...since he went electric.

Sector

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2007
Leicestershire Le8
I see a desire here to distance we gallant E-bike users from the infirm and disabled. That's a pity.

Personally I would like the benefits of E-bikes to be available to anyone who can use them. I certainly want to be able to continue cycling if my knee problem returns and puts me back in the infirm category.

Most of the members of this forum probably try to combine leg power with battery power. It is exciting and we love it, but it is not the choice of the majority of E-bike users that I see on the roads.

In fact I've never seen another E-bike being pedalled enthusiastically on the road. What I do see are riders, several of whom I've now come to recognise, riding sedately around on heavy lead-acid powered bikes. They are out every day, obviously use the bike as an essential means of transport, and often choose not to pedal much. They all seem to enjoy their cycling however.

If we are lucky enough to survive that long we all, and that means you too, whoever you are, will reach the point when the knees begin to stiffen up. After that point we could perhaps get another ten years of E-biking of the minimum-pedalling type. But of course I'm forgetting the implementation of European law, which for no good reason is about to take away the bikes that we would need to use in those ten years.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But of course I'm forgetting the implementation of European law, which for no good reason is about to take away the bikes that we would need to use in those ten years.
And of course that's the point I was making above, we can't really dodge around this one. I don't like the idea of enforced pedelec at all but I do understand and have sympathy for the legislators.

They were at pains to allow assistance to ease the worst sides of cycling for the masses without the result being motor vehicles, but staying in every way bicycles for cycling.

Anyone who wants to be able to travel without pedalling is in fact asking for a motor vehicle, and there are classes for that. Of course they have to have insurance since the possibility of higher power and weight to enable that mode of travel has the potential for greater injury.

At 72 I'm quite close to the less able stages mentioned, but I still see the essential fairness of the law, despite bemoaning it's implications.

Sector

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2007
Leicestershire Le8
Mobility scooters, which are more numerous than E-bikes, require neither tax payment nor insurance, can ride on the pavements and on the roads, have at least as much potential for harming others as bikes, and are throttle controlled.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mobility scooters, which are more numerous than E-bikes, require neither tax payment nor insurance, can ride on the pavements and on the roads, have at least as much potential for harming others as bikes, and are throttle controlled.
Not the same though, and don't have the potential for greater damage if legally used. They are by law restricted to 4 mph on the pavement (fast walking pace) and 8 mph on the road absolute maximum.

Sector

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2007
Leicestershire Le8
Jeanette,
Flecc knows more about these things than me, but I understand that the European regulations insist that the pedals must be turned and some effort applied before the control system can apply any electric power.

Simple motorbike-like twistgrip control that many of us use all the time and prefer, will not be allowed.

It is believed that the regulations will not be retrospective. So bikes bought now can have twistgrip control and will not need to be modified when the regulations come in.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's essentially it. Most aspects of the law are the same both sides, but our dual law mess needs tidying up. Now that the Royal Mail is buying around 16,000 e-bikes they want the legal situation cleared up. That means European law, since we were supposed to have adopted it over 5 years ago except the civil service made a mess of the legislation orders.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No-one knows yet as the trials are still on I think, but the consensus appears to be that they'll probably choose the German post bike as it's so obviously ideal for the job and well proven over time. Big heavy looking lump though, it would never win a beauty contest.

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
When I was at UrbanMover's main industrial unit to get my new battery (still going strong :)) I noticed that their prototype mail bike was in a shipping crate with the lid off, unfortunately I forgot to ask if they'd got the contract or not, I do remember being told it was a 36v system but not if it could carry 2 batteries (I think it could). IMHO it did look like a very nice mail delivery bike, huge great red 'bucket-with-a-lid' front that could carry all those packages I receive from eBay purchases ;)

I can see why RM are getting ebikes because they would really help with the increased delivery load due to internet purchases, RM have put a few 'drop boxes' (grey, lockable metal boxes) in my area where mail for that street is dumped by a van so the delivery person doesn't have to carry massive amounts of mail - which I speculate the bikes would be used instead of for most stuff.

StrangeFish

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2008
Bristol (BS14) UK.
And of course that's the point I was making above, we can't really dodge around this one. I don't like the idea of enforced pedelec at all but I do understand and have sympathy for the legislators.

They were at pains to allow assistance to ease the worst sides of cycling for the masses without the result being motor vehicles, but staying in every way bicycles for cycling.

Anyone who wants to be able to travel without pedalling is in fact asking for a motor vehicle, and there are classes for that. Of course they have to have insurance since the possibility of higher power and weight to enable that mode of travel has the potential for greater injury.

At 72 I'm quite close to the less able stages mentioned, but I still see the essential fairness of the law, despite bemoaning it's implications.
Hi Flecc! I have to say that I do not have much empathy at all with Euro legislators wanting to bring us into line with other member states with regard to this matter! After all, limiting motors to 15mph regardless of whether we use a throttle or not, is surely enough!! What is happening here,of course, is a limitation on choice for all of us, both here and in all the other EU countries. Hardly progressive, and I am struggling to see any common sense in any of it...

All the best.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have sympathy with both sides. Personally I'm with you as I don't like to be restricted to pedelec and enjoy both kinds of bike for different purposes, but it's true that any motorised bike that can be ridden on throttle only becomes a motor vehicle then.

So I understand what the legislators are doing in keeping them purely as bicycles, even though it doesn't suit me. After all, they aren't stopping us having throttles, just saying that if we do, we have to have to accept some other conditions as well, and they can be quite minor if we also accept 15 mph.

The most irrational thing to me is the lower age limit which only the UK and Sweden have. If it's a bike, any bike rider should be able to use them.

hmmmmm...... I have been banned from driving for a period of time, I sincerely hope it's perfectly legal for me to ride my ezee forza (which has a throttle) the last thing I need is some stroppy copper with too much time on his hands (they are all like that up here!) nicking me for driving a mechanically propelled vehicle whilst disqualified? I am legal correct???