E-Bikes for Children

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
According to this link in basic form they are limited to 12.5 m.p.h.

On the Kids version the assistance speed is lowered down to 12.5mph. We want children to have fun whilst maintaining a safe pace. We also remove the walk assist and simplify the levels to make it as user friendly as possible.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Why is it safer falling off at 20 kmh than 25 kmh? Are those extra 5 kmh the limit between slight grazing and broken bones? Or maybe so they have to pedal harder to keep up with mum... o_O

• :D

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015
It’s designed for kids who are 8 years or older, perfect for my son’s needs.
But illegal until he is 14 surely

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Perhaps I'll have to buy one for my 12-year-old training partner, I might stand more chance of keeping up with him :(

Here's his Strava for one ride https://www.strava.com/activities/712363155

Some kids need to get out more, or should I say their parents need to stop marding them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
!4 years old is the lower age limit in the UK, which effectively excludes children, since at 14 years a child becomes a "young person" in UK law. That is when a step up in legal liability applies.

There's no pedelec lower age limit in most countries, so that Haibike has a large potential market.

• Informative

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Why is it safer falling off at 20 kmh than 25 kmh? Are those extra 5 kmh the limit between slight grazing and broken bones? Or maybe so they have to pedal harder to keep up with mum... o_O
The energy is 1/2 m V*V so it's .5*20*20= 200 units of energy or .5*25*25= 325 units or more than 50% greater energy in a crash. The increase surprised me too.

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015
  • Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all the kids round here have e scooters and hover boards as the police cant do jack about it.

yet still post in the local rag about bikes with petrol motors going around that they also do bugger all about and thats only because of the noise they make.

Dear Residents

Motorized Pedalcycles

We have seen a ‘new type’ of Anti-Social behaviour incidents that were being reported during the summer holidays around Quedgeley, Kingsway, Tuffley and Hardwicke. It concerns pedal cycles which have been converted with a petrol motor into motorised bikes.

From information we have received from local residents we believed these bikes to be capable of approx. 25 – 30 mph. The youth seen on these bikes are described as approx. 12 – 15 years old, with iced gem hair styles. Reports that we have received in connection to these bikes state that youth driving them have absolutely no road sense and no consideration for other road/pedestrian users. A woman with push chair was forced into the road while they passed her on the pavement and youth on the bike who were riding on the pavement have cut across cars to get onto the road.

This type of modified bicycle is illegal. They would require MOT,

registration and insurance to ride it and if you/your children are caught riding these bikes any motoring offences will be dealt with under the Road Traffic Act.

These converted petrol motor driven bicycles have NOTHING in common with the legally sold electrically assisted bikes that can be purchased in bikes shops in the UK. The electric motor on these only assists up to 15.5 mph and the max engine power should not exceed 250watts. The pedals are used to drive the bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, the offence only occurs when an under age person rides one, the supply isn't an offence. Also 50cycles haven't stated an age. merely referring to children which can loosely apply up to 18 years old.

Of course an 8 year old can't be charged anyway, so any action would have to taken against the parent or guardian.

It's sad that we have this age restriction, it's completely unnecessary.

Jay Brightwater

Just Joined
Jul 27, 2017
South Wales UK
These should be available via the NHS for some kids.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk
Yes!! That would be amazing! In fact imagine if adults could also get ebikes on the NHS!!! Many people in the ebike groups on fb are saying they are recovering from injuries and serious illnesses, including heart problems using ebikes! Of all the things that our taxes go to (subsidies to the oil companies etc) the NHS and education has to be one of the best investments a nation can make IMHO. Anyway this it getting off subject lol ebikes for all ages are awesome. Lets hope one day they will be as easy to lease as a car!

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
These should be available via the NHS for some kids.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk
... I think that there are plenty of other devices which should also be made available. I noticed yesterday a lad using one of those single wheel step on devices with gyroscopic stability control. I imagined just how useful this would be for people with impaired lung function. Would it be to much of a streach to allow holders of the blue disability parking cards have these. ?

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Lol. You gotta laugh as how the NHS is seen as free. It's not. It's paid for with your taxes. So if you agree to all these freebies then you agree to a massive tax hike. Hard enough to fund medical requirements.

So I'm gathering all this is tongue in cheek. :D

• Agree
Reactions: D C and mike killay