E bikes going forward

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Saw earlier this week that the Government is going to make a big investment into battery technology (allegedly). Than today announcement that all vehicles will be electric by 2040(won't affect me). Surely this is going to have a knock on impact regarding ebikes how they are used and how they are perceived. As usual these announcements will be taken with a large pinch of salt but if they happen could be a game changer

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
The announcement was no petrol or diesel cars or vans are to be sold after 2040. Not quite the same as all vehicles being electric by that date.

However the official paper isn't out yet so we don't know the details of the mandate. Given the way China is pushing electric cars, bikes and motorbikes it's likely that electric (or at least generator assist type hybrid) cars will be the bulk of cars by 2040 anyway.

France, Norway, the Netherlands and other European countries have all made similar statements of intent too, so it's only really saying that the UK intends to do the same in order to satisfy the court judgement demanding action on pollution.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
The announcement was no petrol or diesel cars or vans are to be sold after 2040. Not quite the same as all vehicles being electric by that date.

However the official paper isn't out yet so we don't know the details of the mandate. Given the way China is pushing electric cars, bikes and motorbikes it's likely that electric (or at least generator assist type hybrid) cars will be the bulk of cars by 2040 anyway.

France, Norway, the Netherlands and other European countries have all made similar statements of intent too, so it's only really saying that the UK intends to do the same in order to satisfy the court judgement demanding action on pollution.
Yes agreed Rich and as I say pinch of salt required. I see it more as a focusing on the whole area

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Yes agreed Rich and as I say pinch of salt required. I see it more as a focusing on the whole area
I believe Volvo have stated that all their vehicles from MY 2019 will be electric

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
I believe Volvo have stated that all their vehicles from MY 2019 will be electric
Not 100% electric though, most will be hybrids. Then again, given Volvo is Chinese owned (Geely) they're well placed to get the benefits of developments in China's huge effort in that direction.

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
It's complete baloney with all impetus on councils to do it. Electric cars do not solve congestion, road deaths, or improve urban design, or quality of streets. Self driving ones do a little but where do you keep all the blasted things? Private motoring as we know it needs to change and evolve. The bicycle still rules for efficiency under 6 miles.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk

Reactions: topographer

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are going need to build alot more power plants.
Or the gov't want us to all have solar panels and store the energy in storage batteries that they are going to give to us for free with the massive investment the announced.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
It's complete baloney with all impetus on councils to do it. Electric cars do not solve congestion, road deaths, or improve urban design, or quality of streets. Self driving ones do a little but where do you keep all the blasted things? Private motoring as we know it needs to change and evolve. The bicycle still rules for efficiency under 6 miles.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk
Spot on.

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
I received some marketing information for the Nissan Leaf this morning, to own one I need to find £5k deposit, £200/month for 2 years & a final payment of £12k if I want to keep it! Even if I manage that I live in a house with a garage in a separate block so would need to drape a 100m extension lead across my neighbours gardens to charge it. If I manage that I can drive 155 miles if I'm lucky.

I think I'll keep my 14 year old Celica that I bought for £600 for the moment!

I'll continue to commute on the ebike and use the car for leisure trips away to the Peak District, Wales and the Lakes.

Advertisers