E-biking and loss of weight.

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
I use a stationary recumbent machine, because I don't get the necessary exercise I need on my Lafree.

I could ride the Twist without power, but then i probably wouldn't use it nearly as much as I do.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Despite the "health giving" propaganda from the e-bike selling companies, I don't think e-biking in general does much for weight loss, particularly with hub motor bikes. The only health benefit I see with most e-bikes is the aerobic exercise, better to have the legs spinning that hanging off the edge of an armchair.

The Panasonic system is a bit better since it enforces a definite proportion of contribution, no copping out possible, but it still needs a quite hilly area to produce some real exercise.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
i have done a fraction under 500 miles on my Quando..not near as much as i want but it has been invaluable in the journeys i have made since january...but i have not lost a ounce, not gained ANY fitness at all...because im not going to pedal at 13mph when i can power alone at 15.5mph.............
if i was in no hurry then i would pedal assist and would help fitness, but in a hectic lifestyle speed is the essence...even if it is only a difference of 2.5mph...:eek:

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
Despite the "health giving" propaganda from the e-bike selling companies, I don't think e-biking in general does much for weight loss, particularly with hub motor bikes. The only health benefit I see with most e-bikes is the aerobic exercise, better to have the legs spinning that hanging off the edge of an armchair.

The Panasonic system is a bit better since it enforces a definite proportion of contribution, no copping out possible, but it still needs a quite hilly area to produce some real exercise.
It seems that you are out to finish us old geezers off Ja Ja!

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I'm about half a stone lighter after 12 months cycling on my electric bike.
However, my use is for pleasure and leisure only, as I only have to walk about 50 yards to work.
The old tummy bulge has reduced, considerably. The hilly terrain means I have to put in a lot of effort (even with the hub motor) but it's worth it.
My job means I'm fairly active (walk about seven miles a day) so I get plenty of exercise. The ebike gives me the extra that I miss out on - raised heart and breathing rate, good aerobic exercise.
I take every opportunity I can to go out on my electric bike and often cycle twenty miles most weekends (minimum) - I often do more.
I have much better stamina than I did 12 months ago and feel far healthier and happier in myself.
I may not do the miles on my ebike, like other forum members, but it's perfect for getting me out and about :D

Last edited:

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I'm about half a stone lighter after 12 months cycling on my electric bike.
However, my use is for pleasure and leisure only, as I only have to walk about 50 yards to work.
The old tummy bulge has reduced, considerably. The hilly terrain means I have to put in a lot of effort (even with the hub motor) but it's worth it.
My job means I'm fairly active (walk about seven miles a day) so I get plenty of exercise. The ebike gives me the extra that I miss out on - raised heart and breathing rate, good aerobic exercise.
I take every opportunity I can to go out on my electric bike and often cycle twenty miles most weekends (minimum) - I often do more.
I have much better stamina than I did 12 months ago and feel far healthier and happier in myself.
I may not do the miles on my ebike, like other forum members, but it's perfect for getting me out and about :D
Hi! I think that this name of yours is misleading. Nothing sissy about your character.

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
When commuting I always use my motor and always pedal quite hard. My main problem is pedalling too much and then getting more sweaty than I intended.

Not sure why but I think it is because I always go faster by pedalling not matter what speed I am doing.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I haven't lost a whole lot of weight - maybe 5 kg or so since July 2006. An electric bike does help me keep the weight down and I notice it creep up during holidays (mostly at christmas). I agree with John about the sweating - with the Agattu you are forced into the exercise (part of the reason for buying it) but I always end up hotter than intended on the way into work (and especially the long hill on they way home).

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
What I am going to do is try to keep pedalling all the time in the smallest sprocket wheel with or without motor. never throttling. Well I´ll indulge myself a bigger sprocket on hills, but not too much ja ja.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
You want to see a reward? Check out your butt in the mirror. Now stop cycling for 6 months......

Watch those lbs pile back on! Worse watch your bum spread... daily. watch your legs go flabby and notice how out of breath you get when climbing up stairs.

Now get back on that bike, and enjoy it :)

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
There was a report i read about some years ago which indicated that assisted cycling allowed moderately fit riders to stay in the zone of aerobic exercise for much longer than regular cyclists, who tend to exercise in short spurts.

It involved heart monitors... I will hammer google and see what i can find...

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Ahem, we reported it on our own blog!

Power-assisted bicycles good for the heart?

The research was carried out by the Institute for Transport Studies at the Department of Civil Engineering, Monash University in Australia. Geoff Rose offered the following information on the research:

"The research involved fitting an individual with a heart rate monitor and comparing the readings when a standard course was ridden on a conventional and electric power assisted bicycle. The data for the journey on the E-bike highlighted that the peak heart rate was consistently lower than when on the conventional bike but still in the zone where there was cardiovascular benefit."

C

Cyclezee

Since I stopped e-biking almost 6 weeks ago due a bone fracture in my hand, I have lost 4Kg:confused:

I hope to be back in the saddle again this weekend if I can grip the handlebars adequately, so it will be interesting to see what happens to my weight then :eek:

J:) hn

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Since I stopped e-biking almost 6 weeks ago due a bone fracture in my hand, I have lost 4Kg:confused:

I hope to be back in the saddle again this weekend if I can grip the handlebars adequately, so it will be interesting to see what happens to my weight then :eek:

Hi! Poppy here:
How was the accident? Did you go through a lot of pain? Needed rehab? Aren´t you the least daunted about riding again?
All these question are due to my having had fall. Hit the ground pretty hard though Xray show no fracture of any sort. But very sore and a bit aprehensinve.
Good luck! Quite weird the way you lost weight being inactive cycle-wise.

C

Cyclezee

Poppy
I did not experience a lot of pain, the worst part is trying to get mobility back after wearing a hand splint for almost 5 weeks and my hand aches quite a bit when I grip something for any length of time.
However, I'm desperate to get back in the saddle this weekend, but slightly apprehensive at the same time about being able to control a bike properly:(

The weight loss is due adopting a sensible eating regime, nothing to do with cycling;)

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Hi! Poppy here:
How was the accident? Did you go through a lot of pain? Needed rehab? Aren´t you the least daunted about riding again?
All these question are due to my having had fall. Hit the ground pretty hard though Xray show no fracture of any sort. But very sore and a bit aprehensinve.
Good luck! Quite weird the way you lost weight being inactive cycle-wise.
Hi Compadre (I learnt all my Spanish from the movies !)
I have had a few falls from the bikes I have owned..I feel it is an attude of mind.(mind you I have done some pretty stupid things)(there is an ENGLISH joke there)
Cycling is the next best experience a man can have (flying being the first , but oh my word is that expensive) On your bike you have so much freedom, it's worth the odd bit of pain/ discomfort..to have the freedom of the roads...The electric bike has opened up a new realm of pleasure to those of us who have to imbibe 600/ 1000mg of painkillers a day in order to limp about for an hour in the morning to get going..... :eek: :eek: :cool:

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Hi Compadre (I learnt all my Spanish from the movies !)
I have had a few falls from the bikes I have owned..I feel it is an attude of mind.(mind you I have done some pretty stupid things)(there is an ENGLISH joke there)
Cycling is the next best experience a man can have (flying being the first , but oh my word is that expensive) On your bike you have so much freedom, it's worth the odd bit of pain/ discomfort..to have the freedom of the roads...The electric bike has opened up a new realm of pleasure to those of us who have to imbibe 600/ 1000mg of painkillers a day in order to limp about for an hour in the morning to get going..... :eek: :eek: :cool:
600!000 mg of painkillers daily?? Big dose ain´t it? What are you hurting from. pal?

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
I am pretty fit and run 3-4 times a week. However, although this type of high intensity excercise is great for the cardio-vasuclar system, I do not believe it is particularly useful as a way of managing weight. I'm not going to go into technical detail but this is due to the way the body uses different mixes of fuel, depending on the intensity of the excercise. Body fat only forms about about 50% of the fuel mix at jogging speeds and even less at high running speeds. Also, high intensity excercise tends to promote hunger as the body needs to replenish its scarce glycogen resources (the other source of fuel that is used).

Low intensity excercise (like walking and assisted cycling), on the other hand, does rely more on burning fat and any specific person can do this type of excercise for much longer periods - hence burning more fat in total without getting hungry.

My main aim (apart from saving money on petrol) in buying a pedelec was to introduce more low intensity excercise into my sedantary, desk-bound lifestyle. It is my strong belief that lack of enough low intensity excercise is the main reason that so many people are obese these days, despite the obsession with 'low fat' food, constant dieting and 'going to the gym'. I'm hoping that a couple of hours of pedelecing a day and a sensible diet (not starvation) will help me keep trim. I'll let you know if it worked in a year's time!