E - Brompton

moremeba

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2015
Hi all, I have the following:-
3 geared Brompton
36V Li-Ion battery
Lyen Controller 9 fet

I am assuming I will just need a suitable motor in order to add electric to my Brompton.
I cant seem to find any definitive answers to what motor would be required.

Could anyone suggest one to match the above setup please including supplier if possible?

Many thanks in advance
Barry

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
If you search keyde, tongxin you should be able to find something about it.

I never use lyen controller so I can't comment

moremeba

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2015
Thanks for all the help everyone.
I sourced the motor and controller from outrider in China.
One more question would be could anyone recommend a BMS for my 36v Samsung 18650 battery pack?

Regards

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
The battery pack does come with bms normally. Where did you get your battery? A photo would help

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Neatest solution for a Brompton:

You cannot fully lower the seat post and the rear wheel does not lock when folded but could be strapped.

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Neatest solution for a Brompton:

You cannot fully lower the seat post and the rear wheel does not lock when folded but could be strapped.
Don't these make a lot of noise?

moremeba

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2015
The battery pack does come with bms normally. Where did you get your battery? A photo would help
Hi Patpatbut, I purchased the battery last year off someone on the endless sphere forum.
It does not have a bms wired into it.
Currently I have it working on my currie electro drive but will be utilizing the battery more when I get the Brompton hooked up so wanted to make sure it is getting balance charged etc.

Regards

D

Deleted member 4366

Q85 is the motor for a Brompton. You can get it from BMSBattery.com. I'd forget about that Lyen controller. Get a nice S06S with LCD from BMSB too.

The Q85 is narrow, so you don't have to stretch your forks much. Wider motors might spoil the foldabilty.. The motor has plenty of torque in the 16" wheel. It pulled my 100kg up a 14% hill without pedalling. Top speed is just over 15 mph, though the significant power maxes out at about 12 mph. It's just about right for a bike like a Brompton. If you want/need more speed or power, you could run it at 48v, which would increase everything by 33%.

Advertisers