E folders under a grand?

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Though I'd finally start my own thread on this.
I'm looking for a folder for part time city commute and folding (mostly for security when I can stash it inside at work)
I'm 70 kgs , 5.7 so no special requirements on size -
There's obviously a waiting list or delay for many brands currently but this is in stock -
Any experience or comments on this:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Reactions: RoadieRoger

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I would go for the Rambletta from WOOSH bikes they are a well known, tried and trusted firm who regularly post on this forum.
You get suspension as well .
That's already a possible, but as I mentioned many brands not in stock and it's Sept at least before they are in stock so I wanted to see what other options there are.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Looks fairly basic but sensible. Also look at a few folders still available at http://www.kudoscycles.com/index.php?intro=done&osCsid=q4h3gh49jntk5a21mueuhi3g66
(especially Secret)
Yeah. Did look at that but the review linked suggested it's really small even for average height riders for efficent pedalling, without a seatpost extension -
I was surprised to see that the maximum extension (marked by a series of grooves on the post) was well short of what I’d expect. It’s around 64 cm from top of the saddle to centre of the chainring. A rough calculation suggests that, as usually worked out in cycling circles for efficient pedalling, this would suit riders at most 5' tall.

Reactions: kangooroo

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I have the Basis Finch and reviewed it (still not published on site though) and a neighbour has the Basis Osprey. We're both very happy with our choices and spec although I prefer my Finch due to the disc brakes and the battery can be interchanged with my full-size bike. One my main reasons for choosing the Finch was the saddle height. I'm 5'9" and the Osprey didn't accommodate my 34" inside leg - nor did the Rambletta when I checked with Woosh. If you have long legs, do check the saddle height.

Reactions: PP100

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I have the Basis Finch and reviewed it (still not published on site though) and a neighbour has the Basis Osprey. We're both very happy with our choices and spec although I prefer my Finch due to the disc brakes and the battery can be interchanged with my full-size bike. One my main reasons for choosing the Finch was the saddle height. I'm 5'9" and the Osprey didn't accommodate my 34" inside leg - nor did the Rambletta when I checked with Woosh. If you have long legs, do check the saddle height.
Ok thanks, just roughly measured my inside leg and it's about 29/30 inches
hoping that is not considered long.

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol

This one looks pretty good. £99 over your budget, but you get disc brakes and a USB port for charging phones etc. And the battery is concealed within the frame so it looks slightly less like an ebike (Maybe less of a target for thieves?)
The battery is a bit small though at 6.6ah

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Be a bit careful with the Dawes though. The 6.6Ah battery is very small and I had to sell a bike with an internal battery because they can be very difficult to source and uneconomical to re-cell. I like the disc brakes though.

Reactions: PP100 and 01wellsd

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Be a bit careful with the Dawes though. The 6.6Ah battery is very small and I had to sell a bike with an internal battery because they can be very difficult to source and uneconomical to re-cell. I like the disc brakes though.
Yes, tiny capacity. I could also probably get nearly twice as much battery elsewhere for around a grand. Feels like those "hidden" battery bikes with very proprietary design, could be awkward for later maintenance or replacement.

Reactions: mike killay

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
This a good bike got one myself, sold in many places .. when in stock that is.

I don't know if it is exactly the same bike, but
claims to have it available, and even quite a bit discounted. (I don't have knowledge of that bike or of towsure, this is just a comment and not a recommendation.)

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
Reactions: mike killay

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I don't know if it is exactly the same bike, but
claims to have it available, and even quite a bit discounted. (I don't have knowledge of that bike or of towsure, this is just a comment and not a recommendation.)

This is the newer Seago bike which has the 10Ah battery. The earlier model had an 8.8 Ah battery for which I couldn't source a replacement. There is one which is very similar but just slightly larger so wouldn't fit.

I think replacements can be found for this bike and the spec is very good for the price and I found my Seago very reliable.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Look at the NCM Paris . The price like all Ebikes has crept up over £1000 now ( by £70) , but it`s highly regarded by the Owners and the spec. is excellent .It is a copy of my 10 year old Batribike Quartz which is not surprising as it was designed by NCM and probably made by the same people in China . The WOOSH Rambletta with front suspension at £849 would be excellent but I imagine in very short supply . Woosh design , build and reliability are excellent judging by my Brother`s 8 year old Santana . He rides everywhere on full assist and still gets 25-30 miles per charge on the original battery .

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm 5'9" and the Osprey didn't accommodate my 34" inside leg - nor did the Rambletta when I checked with Woosh.
the Rambletta is supplied with 31.6 x 300 sprung seat post.
The new batch coming in September will be fitted with longer 400mm suspension post.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Look at the NCM Paris . The price like all Ebikes has crept up over £1000 now ( by £70) , but it`s highly regarded by the Owners and the spec. is excellent .It is a copy of my 10 year old Batribike Quartz which is not surprising as it was designed by NCM and probably made by the same people in China . The WOOSH Rambletta with front suspension at £849 would be excellent but I imagine in very short supply . Woosh design , build and reliability are excellent judging by my Brother`s 8 year old Santana . He rides everywhere on full assist and still gets 25-30 miles per charge on the original battery .
I've looked at the NCM bikes, but I cannot find any proper reviews or feedback. Their site seems to give no indication of spares availability, and people on this site have said that the electrical parts are non-standard. You get a lot for your money, but you don't want problems trying to get spares.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I think it best to ensure that the battery is easily removable. This is useful for recharging in some places.
Also, the case can easily be re-celled.
Unfortunately, WOOSH do not show any photos of the Rambletta battery being removed so best check with them first.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
If you google NCN Paris there are reviews . Two years ago when Amazon were selling them the Owners were very pleased , 13 gave feedback on the original Paris . They have added the Max with a Bafang Crank Motor which is £1500 , 3 Owners have reviewed it .
Perhaps I have been lucky with my Ebikes over 10 years but only Cycle Spares have been needed , not specific to the Maker/Supplier .

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
This is the newer Seago bike which has the 10Ah battery. The earlier model had an 8.8 Ah battery for which I couldn't source a replacement. There is one which is very similar but just slightly larger so wouldn't fit.

I think replacements can be found for this bike and the spec is very good for the price and I found my Seago very reliable.
That's the older version from 2018, the newer version is this.

Seago Lite.jpg