E-marked bicycle tyres

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You don't need e-marked ones, all makers have suitable ones. For example, this is what Schwalbe tyres say about this:

Do you need special tyres for e-bikes?

For standard pedelecs with pedal assistance up to 25 km/h no specific tyres are stipulated by the legislators. But the loads and average speeds of these bicycles are also higher than in the case of normal bicycles. We therefore recommend only certain tyres as “E-Bike Ready 25”. Primarily, these are the tyres of the Marathon and Energizer series as well as the comfort tyres Big Apple and Big Ben.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Schwalbe also have certain tyres e-marked for speed pedelecs.

Reactions: craiggor

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
You don't need e-marked ones, all makers have suitable ones. For example, this is what Schwalbe tyres say about this:

Do you need special tyres for e-bikes?

For standard pedelecs with pedal assistance up to 25 km/h no specific tyres are stipulated by the legislators. But the loads and average speeds of these bicycles are also higher than in the case of normal bicycles. We therefore recommend only certain tyres as “E-Bike Ready 25”. Primarily, these are the tyres of the Marathon and Energizer series as well as the comfort tyres Big Apple and Big Ben.

Just reading the M.S.V.A manual again.Fist item is E marks.I skim past it every time.I see the word E mark and think back to when I took an off road bike in for its M.O.T.The tester said nice tyres but it doesn't matter what they look like.They must have a E mark.But the manual does say no e mark.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Just reading the M.S.V.A manual again.Fist item is E marks.I skim past it every time.I see the word E mark and think back to when I took an off road bike in for its M.O.T.The tester said nice tyres but it doesn't matter what they look like.They must have a E mark.But the manual does say no e mark.
For motorcycles with retreads then goes on about them so I think you need them for the msva.Sorry for any confussion .

Last edited: