ebc kit twist grip throttle query

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hello all got my ebc 250w kit a while back and ordered with a thumb throttle.

but as my handlebars taper out from the stem quite a bit and with the adition of throttle and lcd function unit,
and having handlebar grips with inbuilt bar ends everything is too cramped to use properly .

so ordered slightly longer handle bars and twist grip throttle, and have installed brakes/gear changers etc.

but having just read a thread in which someone got on a ebike and accidently twisted the throttle went forward by mistake, I am not so sure about the twist grip type.

as I am 67 and tend to grip the handlebars grips when cocking my leg up over the crossbar when dismounting I can see it might be too easy to engage the throttle by accident

what I am not sure about is if in say pas mode 3 and stopping , and twisting throttle would I go forward?

I ask as it might be better for me to refit thumb throttle

thanks all

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Turn you bike on after you get on it or before you get off...

Even with PAS: I forgot to turn off once when putting the chain back on (back when I had the old crappy chainwheel), you only do it once! :eek:

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Try fitting your thumb throttle on the left side and operating it with your forefinger by pressing down. Position the operating tang just under the brake lever. This lets you keep your thumbs round the grips. Unless you have been a motorcyclist this will be no problem to adjust to .

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
OK so I've never owned a throttle bike but a quick google came up with a possible answer
Anti-runaway Half-Bar Twist Throttle

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
but having just read a thread in which someone got on a ebike and accidently twisted the throttle went forward by mistake, I am not so sure about the twist grip type.

I can see it might be too easy to engage the throttle by accident

what I am not sure about is if in say pas mode 3 and stopping , and twisting throttle would I go forward?
As for stopping, the brake lever cut of switch (assuming its fitted) should prevent the throttle from activating, However the one on my bear is way too easy to operate and switch on.

A while ago I got back from a ride and didn't switch bike off at first but lifted it into the hallway, I hadn't realised I'd caught the switch which turns the throttle on, and as the handlebar brushed the wall the front hub burst into life, fortunately I have some hardboard which I stand the bike on, so it just spun the wheel on the hardboard, and lifting away from the way stopped It instantly.

Although I find the throttle handy for quickly getting out of side streets onto busy roads, I do have to be a bit careful sometimes (I now switch off the bike outside.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks all for replies.
I did a search for throttle with (off /on) button etc but found they nearly all terminate with more wires than the existing 3 I have ,some terminate in round female socket, others seem to be something else other than what I have jst?

I am going to try to fit the thumb throttle again as I'm sure ill forget to turn off power,
as space is so tight on handle bars, the only solution I can see is to reduce the inboard side of the right grip. thumb throttle cable points inward for right side.
I might be able to fit on left hand side but would have to push the trigger forward rather than down.

thanks all