Ebike car racks

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
Don't want to pay silly money for those tow hook ebike racks - outrageous.
Want a rear carrier rack that attaches to the boot of a normal saloon car that will take only ONE Ebike.
Any advice - gratefully received please?
Z

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Pendle Standard/Classic does me well.
Really substantial and carries two 23kg ebikes without any problems.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I just used a normal cycle carrier - it works just fine
I do take the battery off and put it in the car - that keeps some weight off the rack and makes it easier to lift the ebike up onto the rails

If you look at it logically - I used to carry 3 normal bikes on it and it coped perfectly fine - it is supposed to be able to take 4 bikes.
The weight of 1 ebike if less that 4 normal bike and the air resistance when driving is far less for 1 ebike than 4 normal bikes
So there should be no problem

Just check that the rack is suitable for your car. I actually can;t use mine anymore as my new car has a glass rear door- you can;t use any cycle carrier on it!

Flumpet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2019
I just use a normal one for one e-bike. The carrier says it will carry up to 25kg (though it does say it's not suitable for e-bike, i'm not sure why though?!). i generally take the battery off (in case of rain more than anything), but i've also left it on.

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
Appreciated guys. I thought so. Local Ebike shop doing a hard sell on Ebike racks attached to tow bar, starting at £400+ I haven't even got a tow bar!

I like the Saris range - could anyone recommend one of these for a single Ebike weighing 23kg? (Including battery).

regards