Ebike Controller Replace

e-bike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 26, 2013
I have a Cyclamatic plus i have tried to change its controller to a 48v
one but i can not get it working all the leads where connected ok but i get nothing.:(
If i put the original controller back it works.

Has anyone updating the controller on a Cyclamatic plus and knows of a link tutorial:confused:

D

Deleted member 4366

Show us a picture of the controller with all the wires spread out so that we can see what you've got - see post #3 here:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/announcements-feedback-support/15268-does-forum-picture-upload-work.html

Often, there;s an ignition wire that has to be connected to the battery unless you got one with LCD or LED display.

You can check whether the controller has power by measuring between the black and red throttle wires. It should be 5v.

Also. it's common for the throttle or PAS to have the wires in a different sequence, so check the colours side to side at each connector.

e-bike

Sep 26, 2013
Hi d8veh

This is the controller I am tried to put on Cyclamatic bike but I can not get the motor to work, I never connected an ignition wire from the controller directly to the battery i don't know what wire will that be?

To make it easy for me i have labeled the image so to know what wire is what.

1.jpg2.jpg

I connected the wires below:-

Power Cable
Throttle Cable
Hall Cable
Break Cable
Phase Cable (motor cable)

i get nothing from the motor?
I am running 48v SLA Battery's.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The "lock" cable is probably the ignition wire. Did you check the 5v like I suggested? If you don't get 5v without the wire connected, and you do when it is, then it's the ignition wire.

I see it has self-learning. For the ones I had like that, you had to connect the self-learning wires and power-up the controller. It did a bit of stuttering, then started moving. You then had to switch off and disconnect the wires, and it remembered it's settings. It will probably work without self-learning if they tested it with a similar motor.

The anti-theft cable looks interesting. I'd like to know how that works. I wonder if it shorts the phase wires to make the motor difficult to turn. it has EABS,so it has the capability to do that, but it won't work on a geared motor, neither will the EABS unless you want to use it to stop you going backwards down a steep hill.

It also has the three-speed switch, which means overdrive capability for higher speed. When you get it going, try connecting the middle wire to each of the other two to see which one increase the speed. You need full throttle with the wheel off the ground to hear/see the difference. Get a friend to hold it while you connect the wire. You have to do it while it's going to see the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

e-bike

Sep 26, 2013
1. I will check the 5v in a little as I have put the original controller one back (I should of left it out then posted).

2. Try the lock Cable. Will the lock cable go directly to the +(red) of the 48v battery pack?

3. I will try the self learning last.

Will the above steps be best to follow in that order?

e-bike

Sep 26, 2013
Ok sorry I am slow as I have not been to well for a few days and i am recovering.

I tested the throttle cable for 5v but got nothing I then connected the “lock” cable (says ignition wire on the controller) I got a reading from the throttle cable reading 5.1v

When I connected the throttle cable I got nothing the motor won’t spin could this be because of the wires on the throttle wires? please the attached photo as the cable colors don’t match up.

What would be my next option?
Should I change the wires round or try the self learning cable?

throttle.jpg

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi the plugs do not match red to red blue to blue black to black you have the black and blue reversed this wont work

Frank

e-bike

Sep 26, 2013
Update on the throttle wires:-

I have changed the wires on the throttle cable round to blue to blue, black to black, red to red but the motor is not working.:confused:

i am getting a reading from the throttle cable going up and down from 5.1v to 5.2v
I have not tried the self-learning cable yet it looks like my next option?

e-bike

Sep 26, 2013
Progress Update:-

I connected the self learning wire the motor started spinning in reverse:confused:;)

How to I get it to spin in the right direction:confused:

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
If you change over 2 of the Phase wires going to the motor will revease the motor direction.

Bob

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi I have the Ecity user guide it says if the motor runs in anti clockwise direction exchange 2 off the phase wires these are the thick yellow blue and green wire

Frank

e-bike

Sep 26, 2013
I was about to change the phase wires but I thought i will turn it on one more time I disconnected the self-learning wire and connected it back then connected the battery pack up ignition was off.
The motor stutters and starts spinning the right way!!!:p
I then disconnected the self-learning wire while the motor was spinning the right way and then the motor stopped I turned the ignition on then tried the throttle and its now working and spinning the right way:D I did not change the phase wires.

So far all working thanks to:-
d8veh (mostly)
banbury frank (for throttle wires)
and any one else for there input.

This post should help any one replacing there controller on there e-bike.

e-bike

Sep 26, 2013
Just as well you didn't try it up the road, then :p
I think it’s the self-learning wire that determines which way the motor needs to spin. When the motor spins the right way just disconnect the self learning wire and it will remember it.

No I have not tried it out on the road as yet I connected the wires up but need to secure the wires to the new controller and place the controller on the e-bike securely first.

Also need to hook up the 3speed switch on my Cyclamatic Plus as the controller supports 3speed.