ebike convert after 50 years!

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
I have an old Saracen mountain bike I commute with, and a lovely 1976 Dawes racing bike I have had since I was 15 (now 56). Who needs a powered bike, thought I?

The management has now started to use her bike more but struggles due to a hip problem, so we did the Halfords 48 hour ebike test drive.

What a revelation! Did loads of miles around Eastbourne and then a very hilly Tunbridge Wells. Loved it! So much so, I got one for the wife for Christmas, and I am looking for the right one for me and we plan on doing some relaxed trekking this coming year.

My main gripe is that I am used to only paying a few hundred quid for a bike, and they are heavy to load on to my roof rack. One is me living in the past, the other I will get a towbar and use a mount on that.

Anyway, off to explore this site and sort a bike out for me now!

Reactions: tommie

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, welcome to the site.

Amazing knowledge and people here.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Welcome to the Forum.

Be careful of the Halford's Crossfire bike though, even at £1000 - it's prone to cut-out issues.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/thoughts-on-carrera-crossfire-e.22623/

The £400-£500 extra needed to get you into the range of bikes with 3rd generation Bosch Active Plus drives really is a quantum leap in terms of range, quality and rider experience.

e.g. Cube 400 Iridium or even Halfords' own Crossfuse

Even if you want to keep the price around the Crossfire mark (£1000-£1250) there are some much more reliable rear and front hub drive bikes manufactured by UK manufacturers such as Woosh in that price bracket (Woosh are very active on this forum).

It's worth doing some research before you buy, as you'll be spending a lot of time with your new ebike and, as you say, it's a big investment compared to most normal bikes.

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Thanks for the info Andy, I tested the Crossfire and whilst it was a really nice bike to peddle, it even cut out on my test ride! So that is a no.

Woosh are high on my list with the Kreiger, as are Kudos with the KTM. I want a crank drive so it will be spending over my budget I suspect!

Joining here is part of the research process, been diving into the forums for months now, so thought I might as well start to contribute.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
Welcome to the site
Happy hunting for your new steed

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
I have an old Saracen mountain bike I commute with, and a lovely 1976 Dawes racing bike I have had since I was 15 (now 56). Who needs a powered bike, thought I?

The management has now started to use her bike more but struggles due to a hip problem, so we did the Halfords 48 hour ebike test drive.

What a revelation! Did loads of miles around Eastbourne and then a very hilly Tunbridge Wells. Loved it! So much so, I got one for the wife for Christmas, and I am looking for the right one for me and we plan on doing some relaxed trekking this coming year.

My main gripe is that I am used to only paying a few hundred quid for a bike, and they are heavy to load on to my roof rack. One is me living in the past, the other I will get a towbar and use a mount on that.

Anyway, off to explore this site and sort a bike out for me now!
I tend to think that cheaper bikes can be more expensive. If you are able to spend a few quid more to get a better bike then you will probably use it more, I usually divide the cost by the miles used so the more it's used the cheaper it is per mile. The most expensive bikes can sometimes be the cheapest to buy but then little used and left in the shed because they are not nice to ride. Good luck with your search, hope you find the right ebike for you.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
If you are on a budget (or just want to get good value for money) have you considered converting your Saracen? I converted my old 1999 GT Avalanche MTB, just over £300 with a Yosepower kit. More fun to ride than my Crossfire-e (which I still maintain is a great bike for what I paid for it)
There's a big thread on it here
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/yosepower-hub-kits.30061/

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
I have as it happens, it was m first though, but my Saracen is starting to show its age I am afraid. It needs new wheels (bearings shot), crank bearings, and gear set. And it’s still a very experienced old bike! Lays, I am not sure I want to put additional power through an old frame.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I have as it happens, it was m first though, but my Saracen is starting to show its age I am afraid. It needs new wheels (bearings shot), crank bearings, and gear set. And it’s still a very experienced old bike! Lays, I am not sure I want to put additional power through an old frame.
Fair enough, luckily my old MTB is still in great shape, so it worked out well for me.

Have you considered this ? At £1250 for a crank drive Shimano steps, will electronic shifting and hub gears and spare batteries for approx £300 it compares well with whats out there

https://www.jejamescycles.com/raleigh-strada-e-electric-city-bike.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-t_7gfrZ3wIVGc53Ch3jvwT9EAQYASABEgK0pPD_BwE

Battery

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/42737/products/shimano-steps-bt-e6010gb-battery-418wh-frame-down-tube-mount.aspx

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Wow, that is a nice bike! I am planning on also using it for leisure peddling on forest tracks, disused railway walks, gravel tracks etc, and putting a rack on & using panniers. I have found a KTM Macina Fun 4, a 2016 model trekking bike and it is just a tad more than that! At Kudos Ebikes. Looks really nice too.

Not sure which one would be best now!