Ebike newbie, planning more purchases

iangoggin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 29, 2019
Hi there ( ^_^)/

Newbie to ebikes, bought my first recently. Been lurking for a while, and thought I should introduce myself finally. I've found much of the advice here very useful as I try to get my head around all the possibilities.

My partner and I are planning to get a folding ebike each, to facilitate a mix of commuting, long-distance travel, and camping holidays (asking a lot, I know). We frequently travel to Ireland and Yorkshire to visit family, and having an ebike to increase our independence when we're there would be hugely helpful, as well as smoothing out some of the currently complicated bits of the journeys.

We recently bought a B-Twin Tilt 500E - in part to see if investment in a more expensive bike is necessary. So far it has been going well, but the time for us to get another is coming up fast. I like it, though the motor is definitely quite cheap, and the range is limited.

Our use cases are:
  • Daily commuting in London (no mixed mode usually needed, but nice to have the option)
  • Travelling the last ~15km from the train station to family in Yorkshire hills (done this once with the B'Twin and it just about managed)
  • Travelling to Ireland by train, ferry, train and then cycling the last ~15km on flat.
  • Storage in a 2nd floor flat
Priorities are:
  • Possible to take on trains (including in Europe and on ferries) without booking (i.e. <=85cm in any one dimension when folded)
  • Must be foldable for storage in small 2nd floor flat
  • Must carry a decent amount of luggage / pannier weight (>20kg)
  • Ideally should allow use with a child seat
  • Strong enough motor to get up steep hills, such as in Yorkshire (but this would only be occasional)
  • Reputable brand with good service record
Our ultimate aim is to avoid having to own a car so a decent chunk of investment seems worth it if a bike is likely to be long-lasting. Though we may eventually augment with a cargo ebike to make kids / serious weight possible.

Currently eyeing up the Tern Vektron range - though it's technically 86cm when folded. No idea if that matters on e.g. the Eurostar.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Currently eyeing up the Tern Vektron range - though it's technically 86cm when folded. No idea if that matters on e.g. the Eurostar.

id not worry abort the size the TernVektron is 22.1kg on its own thats more heavy than my fs mtb.

can you manage that sort of waight when you have to move it about folded cos i could not do it tbh.

iangoggin

Nov 29, 2019
can you manage that sort of waight when you have to move it about folded cos i could not do it tbh.
I think I can manage it. It's not comfy, but I can take the B'Twin + ~5kg panniers up and down our stairs. However, I don't think my partner would be able to manage it for anything other than lifting on and off a train, so I'd love an alternative.

The only light electric folders I've seen have very low weight capacity, so I'm not sure where else to look from reputable suppliers. I'm asking for a lot from a single bike I realise.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
Hi there ( ^_^)/

Newbie to ebikes, bought my first recently. Been lurking for a while, and thought I should introduce myself finally. I've found much of the advice here very useful as I try to get my head around all the possibilities.

My partner and I are planning to get a folding ebike each, to facilitate a mix of commuting, long-distance travel, and camping holidays (asking a lot, I know). We frequently travel to Ireland and Yorkshire to visit family, and having an ebike to increase our independence when we're there would be hugely helpful, as well as smoothing out some of the currently complicated bits of the journeys.

We recently bought a B-Twin Tilt 500E - in part to see if investment in a more expensive bike is necessary. So far it has been going well, but the time for us to get another is coming up fast. I like it, though the motor is definitely quite cheap, and the range is limited.

Our use cases are:
  • Daily commuting in London (no mixed mode usually needed, but nice to have the option)
  • Travelling the last ~15km from the train station to family in Yorkshire hills (done this once with the B'Twin and it just about managed)
  • Travelling to Ireland by train, ferry, train and then cycling the last ~15km on flat.
  • Storage in a 2nd floor flat
Priorities are:
  • Possible to take on trains (including in Europe and on ferries) without booking (i.e. <=85cm in any one dimension when folded)
  • Must be foldable for storage in small 2nd floor flat
  • Must carry a decent amount of luggage / pannier weight (>20kg)
  • Ideally should allow use with a child seat
  • Strong enough motor to get up steep hills, such as in Yorkshire (but this would only be occasional)
  • Reputable brand with good service record
Our ultimate aim is to avoid having to own a car so a decent chunk of investment seems worth it if a bike is likely to be long-lasting. Though we may eventually augment with a cargo ebike to make kids / serious weight possible.

Hi, new to the forum myself but before I ordered my bike I looked long and hard at the vektron range myself. If you were to go for the d8 (the bafang powered one) tern sell a rack with wheels on the back, which allows you to pull the bike along sideways. In addition to this the bike can be wheeled along folded using the seat post or handlebar stem. All that doesn't help reduce weight though! I did test ride one and it was a good powerful little bike with great build quality. I hope you find a good solution, and welcome to the forum

Reactions: iangoggin

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Unfortunately I think that a low weight folder will mean a small battery, giving low range. I would expect any of my bikes to do more than, 'just about manage' 15k.
Taking the battery out to get the bike upstairs is an option, that would remove 3-4kg.
I believe Juicy do some folders, as do Wisper, both known on this forum for good customer service.
Conversion is always an option. Here's a thread about two conversions I did for my neighbour.
These were done with a big removeable battery for range when using from their camper.

Reactions: iangoggin

iangoggin

Nov 29, 2019
Here's a thread about two conversions I did for my neighbour.
Thanks, I'll have a look. Gradually getting a sense of what I do & don't like, so might feel confident enough to go for a conversion if I know what I want from specs.

iangoggin

Nov 29, 2019
Hi, new to the forum myself but before I ordered my bike I looked long and hard at the vektron range myself. If you were to go for the d8 (the bafang powered one) tern sell a rack with wheels on the back, which allows you to pull the bike along sideways. In addition to this the bike can be wheeled along folded using the seat post or handlebar stem. All that doesn't help reduce weight though! I did test ride one and it was a good powerful little bike with great build quality. I hope you find a good solution, and welcome to the forum
Pity they don't do that for the Q9. I'll have a look, thank you! Hadn't looked at the D8 as not many places had them. Have mainly tried the Q9 and S10 with their updated frames. Perhaps if they release a new one this year it'll be better for my use case.