Ebike still legal if I run 36V motor at 48V and limit speed to 15mph?

vulcanears

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
Hello everyone.

I'm currently using a 250W 36V Bafang G310 rear hub motor and a 25A controller that can do 36V and 48V.

I'd like a bit more speed when going off-road and considering building a 48V battery but limiting it to 15.5mph when ON the road.

Would the bike still be road-legal in the 48V 15.5mph configuration?

TYVM in advance.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no as it would be classed as a off road switch but i have a dongle and have been riding around for 5 years and not a problem.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
remove the speed limit.

Reactions: Gooseman

vulcanears

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
I was thinking of changing the max speed setting in my Kunteng controller setup (with the handlebar-display) - which is technically not an off-road switch.

Gooseman

Pedelecer
May 12, 2020
angus
ok so i've got a 36v battery and 250w hub with lcd3 that the top speed can be changed does that mean its not road legal even when set to 25 kph

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you can change the settings via the display it is classed as a off road switch buy law.

my bike can do over 30mph and never been a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Gooseman

vulcanears

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
Pretty much every single DIY kit has some kind of setup process where you set the maximum speed. So you're saying that they are all illegal?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Pretty much every single DIY kit has some kind of setup process where you set the maximum speed. So you're saying that they are all illegal?
yep same as hover boards and electric kids scooters but you try find a kit where you cant change the speed limit lol.

as long as you dont kill anyone it wont be a problem.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Oh crap. I spent so much money on 250W components and now they are not even legal... :(
my bike is not legal and in the past even tried to get the police to chase me but not interested lol :p

Reactions: RobN

vulcanears

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
Well, if any of us have any kind of serious accident, the insurances will definitely have a very close look, because there is a lot of money involved and they don't like to pay tens or hundreds of thousands in compensation and repairs. I really don't want to ruin my financial future with something silly like this.
Is there a way to make DIY builds 100% legal?

Reactions: gsm.terra

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Oh crap. I spent so much money on 250W components and now they are not even legal
If you're genuinely concerned about staying on the right side of the law then this is your option:

As @soundwave says however, most coppers don't care and don't know the law any better than you. Swot up here:

The only exception would be if you end up in the situation that Thomas Hanlon did, then you're in the crap....

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
LCD settings do not constitute an off-road switch. Many bikes have that function and they have official EN15194 certificates after having been tested for compliance.

To answer OP, the answer is that if the speed limit is set correctly to the legal limit, then a bike with a 250w motor running at 48v is legal.

vulcanears

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
To answer OP, the answer is that if the speed limit is set correctly to the legal limit, then a bike with a 250w motor running at 48v is legal.
Would you still consider it legal, when the motor has a "36V" engraving?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Would you still consider it legal, when the motor has a "36V" engraving?
Yes. Why not? There is no legal regulation on voltage or current. Compliance with EN15194 is not a legal requirement, though certificated bikes would be per se legal. The standard allows up to 48v systems.

The law as stated lays down these requirements specifically for an ebike. Obviously bicycle regulations for brakes and lights also have to be complied with:
  • Max speed of 15.5 mph
  • Maximum rating of motor 250w
  • Power must stop when you stop pedalling.
  • Operational pedals must be fitted.
  • Power must ramp down as you approach 15.5 mph, though the steepness of the ramp isn't specified.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
LCD settings do not constitute an off-road switch
This is interesting @vfr400. Where are you getting this from?

Surely anything that allows the user to bypass the speed restriction (whether it's by scrolling through the options on the display or with a big rocker switch hidden under the saddle) would count as an "off-road switch" as identified in the link that @soundwave linked earlier?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

Surely anything that allows the user to bypass the speed restriction (whether it's by scrolling through the options on the display or with a big rocker switch hidden under the saddle) would count as an "off-road switch" as identified in the link that @soundwave linked earlier?
All speed limits can be bypassed on every single ebike by settings in the electronics.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

the problem with this is there has been no test cases to prove one way or the other but there are now so many ebikes about the law as it is does not make sense lol.

plus my dongle costs £140 ill just get a 2kw bafang next time with a 20 quid programme cable :p