Ebike subsidy coming ?

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
There is talk of a subsidy to purchase an Ebike in the Spring, according to an article in the Mail Online . It mentions a third off the price .

Reactions: Martin3520

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's always upper limits on such schemes so could be a third off up to £1000.

That wouldn't even cover the battery cost on lots of e-bikes.

Government quickly goes mean anyway. E-cars originally had £5000 off, but that then reduced to £4500, later to £3500 and this year down to £3000.

Plug In Hybrids have had all their subsidy stopped.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
There's always upper limits on such schemes so could be a third off up to £1000.

Government quickly goes mean anyway. E-cars originally had £5000 off, but that then reduced to £4500, later to £3500 and this year down to £3000.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

The info I've seen is between £500 and £3000 off ,dependent on the bike.
Not sure yet what the criteria for the upper reaches is.

And £1k off anything is very good, or are you expecting them to buy the whole thing for you :?
The van moof is £1700, and that looks a very capable city bike, or which many in the public would be happy to get for better than half price.

This is likely all down to taxation, and (their buddies) in insurance. With more ebikes on the road the government will be looking to get an income from it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And £1k off anything is very good, or are you expecting them to buy the whole thing for you :?
I didn't post £1000 off, I posted the limit possibly being a third off £1000.

I don't see the government giving the same £3000 off any e-bike when that's the upper limit of subsidy on an e-car.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Those were the figure I saw this morning. Though I think if its a like the Scottish gov one its the higher off for family bikes, cargo and the rest. Actually Im about to spend about £5K on maybe a focus, so anything off is good by me.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
They seem to be wary of effectively paying out taxpayers money for rich people to buy a new expensive toy/gadget

So - they will probably attach conditions or price limits -such as requiring a certificate confirming a auitable disability - such as asthma

We shall see - I would be enthusiastic as long as it help out all bike shops and not just one (or two) BIG shops (you know who I mean)
Hopefully it would also include parts - such as replacement batteries - a reduction in the price of a replacement Bosch battery in a few years would be helpful!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those were the figure I saw this morning. Though I think if its a like the Scottish gov one its the higher off for family bikes, cargo and the rest. Actually Im about to spend about £5K on maybe a focus, so anything off is good by me.
LINK

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
As with much of what this government leak via the press, it’s unlikely to be new money rather a rehash of the cycle to work scheme. There are telling phrases in the article re work clothes etc. It’s a good scheme if you can take advantage of it and you have free choice of what and where you buy, but for us old ‘uns it’s not much use.

Keep an eye out for Dominic Cummings‘ eBikes Emporium opening soon. Or Dido Harding’s Hard Ridings.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
At the moment ebikes from China carry a huge EU tariff because the EU decided the Chinese were dumping their product in the EU at an unfair price. Next year that tariff might not exist for UK imports which could significantly reduce the price.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I have already been warned by the BA that this will be a more modest and localised scheme than some reports have suggested.

This is a pilot scheme, not a full-scale national e-bike incentive scheme. It is aimed at those who cannot access cycles through the Cycle to Work scheme.

It will be largely based around hire schemes which target the particular user groups listed above - NOT incentivising personal purchases by the general public at this stage.

Pilot schemes will be run by local authorities, who will have to pitch for the money from DfT. This means that any demand for bikes will be staggered as these bids are agreed, and will be distributed across participating local authority areas.

At £250 per e-bike, the £1 million for this pilot would fund only around 4000 e-bikes.

With thanks to BAGB

All the best, David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Good input David, smoke and mirrors again from above.