ebike

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
I have an ebike just come in been standing in his shed 6 months, has no light on display, battery is good fully charged all wiring and connections are controller connections all good bike is only 18 months old , any pointers please ???

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have an ebike just come in been standing in his shed 6 months, has no light on display, battery is good fully charged all wiring and connections are controller connections all good bike is only 18 months old , any pointers please ???
Show photos of what you have, otherwise all we can do is make wild irrelevant guesses.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery fuse ?
If the display doesn't work !!!

As vfr has said their is scant info to go on to diagnose.
Show us bike pic and brand/model.

First place to start is with the battery and give the voltage reading when charger has fully charged, we don't want to know how many pretty coloured LED's that might or might not show.

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
Battery fuse ?
If the display doesn't work !!! Battery full charge and tried new battery bike 18 months old

As vfr has said their is scant info to go on to diagnose.
Show us bike pic and brand/model.

First place to start is with the battery and give the voltage reading when charger has fully charged, we don't want to know how many pretty coloured LED's that might or might not show.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If the control panel doesn't switch on, you only have to follow the voltage from the battery to the controller. None is reaching it, so you have to find out why. Check its connector. There should be battery voltage between the red and black.

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
If the control panel doesn't switch on, you only have to follow the voltage from the battery to the controller. None is reaching it, so you have to find out why. Check its connector. There should be battery voltage between the red and black.
There is over 40 volts to the controller

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
With everything switched on, measure the voltage between the red and black wires on the 4-pin connector that goes to the control panel.

If you get battery voltage there, unplug the control panel and bridge the red and blue wires. That should then give you level 1 assist when you pedal and the throttle should work if you have one. If that works, you need a replacement control panel. You can get any 36v analogue one as a replacement because they all work the same and have the same wires. You might have to cut the connector off and join the wires, like this one:

this one has the right connector.

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
With everything switched on, measure the voltage between the red and black wires on the 4-pin connector that goes to the control panel.

If you get battery voltage there, unplug the control panel and bridge the red and blue wires. That should then give you level 1 assist when you pedal and the throttle should work if you have one. If that works, you need a replacement control panel. You can get any 36v analogue one as a replacement because they all work the same and have the same wires. You might have to cut the connector off and join the wires, like this one:

this one has the right connector.
Many thanks I will pass on this message, it’s a shame that carnt keep cable colours constant and compatibility. I think i may have a display
thank you

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
Many thanks I will pass on this message, it’s a shame that carnt keep cable colours constant and compatibility. I think i may have a display
thank you
The voltage check at the display connection is just 5v. Can a controller or display be tested in this way, with battery connected to controller on the workbench and display plugged in it should work or not.
Do you know of a controller repair service in UK.

Thanks Ron

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The voltage check at the display connection is just 5v. Can a controller or display be tested in this way, with battery connected to controller on the workbench and display plugged in it should work or not.
Do you know of a controller repair service in UK.

Thanks Ron
If you get 5v between the red and black wires, there is something wrong with your battery or its connections. Those two wires are connected directly to the battery wires that come into the controller from the battery.

Check the voltage on the main battery connectors that connect the battery to the controller.

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
hi the 5v is measured at the display plug coming out of the controller. the red and black from battery is reading 41 v yes those two leads 41v

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Did you measure that 5v with the control panel connected or not. if it was connected, measure again, then measure with it disconnected. As I said, those two wires are connected directly to the other battery wires, so the voltage can't be different.

tushingham2

Pedelecer
May 9, 2020
Hi yes switch on, the wires are only suitable for low voltage not 40v. These are very fine wires coming from controller and connect to the display

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The small/thin wires can carry high voltage up to 300v , what they can't do is carry high current. The current will be about 1a or less.

Last edited:

Advertisers