Ebiking through North Farm estate in Tunbridge Wells

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
I have a camera on board my bike all the time. Only a cheapy £17 Go-Pro look-a-like. Thought I would have a go with the editing software on my PC. Never done it before direct from my PC, but here is me on my Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 with a Yamaha centre crank following my wife on her very quiet Carrera Crosspath, using the new but very badly designed cycle path. You have to cross the busy road, often dual carriageway, about 14 times within a mile or two.

Can I embed it? Here is the link:

Should it be that noisy?

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the video, it's fine, unlike that cyclepath design with those difficult road crossings. Really how not to do it, the Dutch would think it a bad joke to call it a cyclepath.

Since I don't know your bike I can't comment on the sound, other than that it's often intrusive on e-bike videos.

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Yes it does transmit sound through the bike to the camera you are right, which makes it sound worse. But it is not far off that anyway!

The 'bike lanes' are a joke. They want us to leave cars at home, and then give us that.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The 'bike lanes' are a joke. They want us to leave cars at home, and then give us that.
The simple answer is the Dutch one. Their road crossing points are clearly marked and bicycles always have the priority, motor vehicles having by law to stop for any bike approaching to cross.

I don't just support that as a cyclist, I support it as a driver since it slows traffic and reduces accidents. That's also helpful to pedestrians.

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
I have a camera on board my bike all the time. Only a cheapy £17 Go-Pro look-a-like. Thought I would have a go with the editing software on my PC. Never done it before direct from my PC, but here is me on my Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 with a Yamaha centre crank following my wife on her very quiet Carrera Crosspath, using the new but very badly designed cycle path. You have to cross the busy road, often dual carriageway, about 14 times within a mile or two.

Can I embed it? Here is the link:

Should it be that noisy?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
;)

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
No it should be silent just as mine is on my Freego Eagle step through.
You can't really compare noise levels between geared hubs and crank drive motors like Bosch and Yamaha. The hub gears are in a small casing covered in grease, whereas the crank drive gears run comparatively dry in a much larger casing causing a higher noise level.

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Test cycled two other Yamaha powered bikes last week to compare and they are just as noisy. I was told that if I have it on a higher power and taller gear I can use the torque better and it quietens down. Plus, on my video the camera is connected to the bike with no rubber mounts or any cushioning, so I suspect there is a lot of noise transmitted up the chassis.

Having taken it back and had it checked I am happy with It now. Plus, it does have a two year warranty!