Eccentric bottom bracket housing

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
Hi All,
Thinking about fitting a crank drive to my Thorn tandem. It would go into the front eccentric housing.
If anyone has done it has there been a problem with twisting the whole assembly under load.
I have a front wheel drive at the moment but a crank drive would be easier when splitting the frame.
Pete

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
All documentation for BB motors I have seen say "don't fit in eccentric BB"

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I wonder if you could dump the front eccentric bottom bracket on the Thorn.

Probably not, because when you adjust the rear eccentric BB to tension the secondary chain to the Rohloff hub, you probably need to adjust the front one to maintain the correct tension on the primary chain.

But the primary chain tension is presumably not as critical, provided it doesn't jump.

Or there might be another way of tensioning the primary chain, although nothing springs immediately to mind.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A chain tensioner on the rear drop out might do it.

That would tension the secondary chain - a lot of Rohloff bikes tension the chain that way, so there's no need for an eccentric BB.

In your case the secondary eccentric BB could be left in place and could be used to tension the primary chain, leaving you free to use an ordinary bottom bracket at the front.

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
Yes it's a Rohloff hub, I suppose I could really screw in the two setscrews to pierce the eccentric whether the motor would still rip it out. I(we) only use the front hub to give some assist up hills or into hard headwinds and when touring pulling a 'bob' trailer which is no problem. I suppose the bb motor could still cause problems with this sort of loading. Any way thanks for your thoughts, it seems we will keep the Ezee on the tandem.

C

Cyclezee

Plan B.
Change to an eZee DT battery... if there is room for it.
e.g. P1070781.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I didn't realise the OP's tandem was already electrified.

Pointless trying to engineer a crank kit when he's got a well-regarded hub kit fitted.

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
Thanks John, that's an idea, I would have to move the controller forward as well so it looks like I will be in the market for a battery plus some connectors as the wiring will need to be shortened and I hope Monica will willingly give up the throttle.

C

Cyclezee

Thanks John, that's an idea, I would have to move the controller forward as well so it looks like I will be in the market for a battery plus some connectors as the wiring will need to be shortened and I hope Monica will willingly give up the throttle.
Actually it's not that simple, the The DT battery has the controller integrated with the battery mounting bracket and is only compatible with the Mk2 eZee kits. Also the phase wire and Hall sensor connectors are different from the Mk1.

C

Cyclezee

Plan C.
Keep the existing kit but move the controller to the front section of the tandem.
You would need a longer power lead from the battery to the controller but all the others coming from the controller could be shortened.

That would mean you only have one lead to disconnect when splitting the tandem.;)