Electric bike 1500w

Dhandy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 24, 2017
Cheshire
hi, I already own a harbike 250w Yamaha motored bike. I have been looking at a 1500w electric bike with throttle to buy off eBay. Would I be able to get away with riding it on the road or not? I wouldnjng ride it like an idiot, it's just for the throttle really.
Here's a link to the bike I want
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282348183670

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no one has had there bike taken off them by plod yet for being over powerd.

like where would they test it anyway halfords pmsl ;)

Dhandy

Feb 24, 2017
Cheshire
Is that true, knowone has had it taken off them?

Does everyone ride over powered on the road?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its not power it is the speed limit law wise but i have never been stopped.

my bosch bike has a dongle so full power is like 700w ;)

soundwave, you're dangerously ignorant on the subject you're talking about.

Legal bikes can put out 700w peak power. Your dongle doesn't give you any more power. It removes the speed limit on the assistance which makes it illegal to be used on or offroad in the UK.

So yes you probably won't get caught, but check what your insurance will cover you for, because in the eyes of the law you're riding an untaxed, uninsured, illegal motor vehicle.

So, you'd proabably not get caught driving a car or motorbike with no tax or insurance, but you wouldn't risk that would you? So why is an electric motorbike any different?

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Either way the seller gets about 96% rating off ebay, in my eyes that's buyer be aware. IMHO, this looks like cheap chinese `zxtddss!.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah well i ride my bike about pissed and stoned so am braking 2 laws even b4 i sit on it.

and nothing happens about that either ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and how far did you get again stopping ebike shop selling dongles err nowhere ;)

why are the police not sat out side his shop busting everybody ?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
and how far did you get again stopping ebike shop selling dongles err nowhere ;)

why are the police not sat out side his shop busting everybody ?
It's a low profile crime.
But if something did happen the costs could be huge.
Me I have just agreed a sum from the other party who broke my arm and trashed my bike. I'm awaiting the cheque now. Had I been on an illegal bike the £200 fine would have been peanuts compared to the costs I have had and injuries suffered.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can change the speed limit on the 8fun with the programme cable it is no different than using a dongle.

either way the option is there so just make sure you smash the display ;)

Dhandy

Feb 24, 2017
Cheshire
Hi again. I have a dongle and it's great I love it on my haibike hardnine. I would like a throttle on it though but I don't think I can. thats why I was looking at this bike because it's got throttle function.

Advertisers