Electric Bike Security

moon

Pedelecer
May 24, 2008
I live in on the edge of London and want to start using my bike for days out to museums etc etc but am worried it will get stolen if I leave it outside!!

I already get surrounded by hoodies when I stop during my cycle to work along the river front on my Wisper se (its such a damn fine looking bike ..hehe)

Does anyone have any tips for e-bike security etc??

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The best D locks are the most thief resistant, but best of all overall is probably dual locking at two points on the bike, maybe a D lock and a heavy duty motorcycle type chain lock.

That's quite a deterrent to a thief.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
The best D locks are the most thief resistant, but best of all overall is probably dual locking at two points on the bike, maybe a D lock and a heavy duty motorcycle type chain lock.

That's quite a deterrent to a thief.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

although they are not heavy duty locks i use 3 , i make sure i run one through the underneath of the saddle as thats a prime target,also through the panniers, often o fold it up and then chain it and make sure to objects not able to be moved easy.or at all !!.....and as often as possible in public view..........although this is a good reason why im looking to get a cheap brompton for the shorter journeys as a quick fold up and i can carry them in and out of the shops with me without too much trouble...

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
I go along with the "use 2 locks" method. You'll never stop a professional thief who really wants your bike. But you can make yours hard enough to steal that they'll go for someone else's bike instead...

Mary

Carol

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2008
We always double lock ours as we use in conjunction with a motorhome we leave them in many different cities, we also have bought a large looking lock which if touched gives of a large noise then stops after a minute unless touched again, it is also impossible to pick the lock on the or stick a wire up to stop the noise, we also park them in prominent positions so it would be seen anyone messing around with them. Carol.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
We always double lock ours as we use in conjunction with a motorhome we leave them in many different cities, we also have bought a large looking lock which if touched gives of a large noise then stops after a minute unless touched again, it is also impossible to pick the lock on the or stick a wire up to stop the noise, we also park them in prominent positions so it would be seen anyone messing around with them. Carol.
Hi Carol,

I'm interested in the audible lock you purchased. I work in an office where it is not possible to directly view where the bikes are parked, but they could certainly be heard if an alarm went off. Do you have a specific name for the lock, or a link to a website where these are sold. Many thanks, Rus.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
good vid...

thanks for that link CheKmx, Hal is a character - reckon he could add some anecdotes to the current "50'ish & still smoking..." thread.

i'm a 3 lock guy, big rubberised oval lock for the frame, plasticoated steel cable for the rear wheel + frame, a dutch Basta lock for the front wheel and a steel cable thru the rack & saddle to the rear lock, i always try & lock to a lampost near a bus stop & i always remove keys, lights, mileometer & bag, but the truth is that there are 'professionals' out there and if they really want a bike, chances are it will be theirs, just try & make it as troublesome as possible, alternate regular parking spots, keep parking periods to a minimum and don't use 'quick-release' for anything.

Carol

May 19, 2008
Hi Carol,I'm interested in the audible lock you purchased. I work in an office where it is not possible to directly view where the bikes are parked, but they could certainly be heard if an alarm went off. Do you have a specific name for the lock, or a link to a website where these are sold. Many thanks, Rus.
Hi Russ, all ours has on is Siren Padlock, I have just goodled 'Siren Padlock' and loads of different ones came up, worth having a look. Carol.

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
I think this an intresting thread..at the moment e-bikes are not well known, and the Geek factor is prevalent..I was in Torpoint lately, and pulled up in a supermarket car-park, there were some childs? there whom I sometimes swop banter with..comment was.."whats that grandad..bloody tank.." "good lord sir((I paraphrase" "wot river did you dredge that from") ;(even middle class children are cultured in Cornwall). When I explained about the bike, they know my knees are a bit suspect, there was a lot of intelligent comment intrest,big change of attitude.
Every one wanted a try but were defeated by the size of the Aggatu..except for one Girl, who managed a circut, remarked "thats cool".
After all that my point is that as soon as an awareness of E-Bikes becomes general, the Thieves will be out in more force..So security will become a big issue, with saddles costing £25 being targets, batterys at £250 will be unsaveable..
Anyone have any idea how the continentals cope.:eek: :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Anyone have any idea how the continentals cope.:eek: :eek:
The most popular Dutch technique is riding a bike that's in a thoroughly disreputable state, filthy, patches of rust etc, scarred saddle and grips, and looking very unloved. Apparently works well, not surprising when the objective is to fence what is stolen, and who would pay for such an object?

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I hadn't really given all this a thought but I'm glad it's been brought to my attention. I've got a spare plastic coated half inch thick steel rope lock which I've now fitted through my saddle, through the handle of my battery and round the frame. It doesn't bash the frame and I don't notice it when I ride, but it might just save me from having to buy another (expensive!) battery or even seat.

Thanks for the tip off!

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Bikes Galore

The most popular Dutch technique is riding a bike that's in a thoroughly disreputable state, filthy, patches of rust etc, scarred saddle and grips, and looking very unloved. Apparently works well, not surprising when the objective is to fence what is stolen, and who would pay for such an object?
More than one Dutch couple I met on an Aire's d' Service in France said, when they see a German Motorhome " They still look for their bicycles stolen in 1944" :D

Regards Terry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
More than one Dutch couple I met on an Aire's d' Service in France said, when they see a German Motorhome " They still look for their bicycles stolen in 1944" :D

Regards Terry
Brilliant! :D

Actually the German Army's WW2 bikes did have an anti theft device which they used when stationed in occupied areas.

They had a quick release saddle, so when popping in for a haircut or to buy something from a shop, the saddle went with them. Made it both awkward and obvious if someone tried to pedal off without one.

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Brilliant! :D

Actually the German Army's WW2 bikes did have an anti theft device which they used when stationed in occupied areas.

They had a quick release saddle, so when popping in for a haircut or to buy something from a shop, the saddle went with them. Made it both awkward and obvious if someone tried to pedal off without one.
I have some French friends (normans) who as children used to post fish guts down the saddle tubes of the t'deche when they removed their saddles...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have some French friends (normans) who as children used to post fish guts down the saddle tubes of the t'deche when they removed their saddles...
:D. The Channel Islanders used to play similar tricks.

As the US army is finding out in Iraq, being a victorious conquerer isn't much fun!

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Lock pickers

Apologies if this has already been posted, but it seems relevant to this thread.

Quickrelease.tv » Blog Archive » Lock it or lose it

Simon
thanks for that link Simon, while on the subject i thought i'd have a look around.........

Pick your locks with care.......... 'cos this is very scary.

YouTube - D-lock pick with biro pen end "D lock picking with end of biro

YouTube - Oxford Magnum D Lock "Oxford Magnum D lock,

YouTube - how to pick a kryptonyte lock with a pen " Kryptonite D lock

YouTube - Kryptonite bikeforum " another kryptonite

YouTube - dont trust 'd' locks lock pick " ordinary D lock

YouTube - Pick a Bike " "Abus spring coil lock

YouTube - lockpicking pick a bike lock "cheap coil lock

YouTube - Howto Open a bike lock under 1min " barrel combination lock

YouTube - Try it Yourself: Episode 3 - Easily HACK a combination LOCK " dial combination lock

YouTube - HOW TO Break a Combination Lock in 12 seconds !! "another dial combo lock

all these clips... and many, many more, for just about all kinds of padlocks, available to the general public free, makes you wonder,

the barrel lock is on lots of batteries, including mine, so will have to figure out some other security for this.

AndyR

Jan 18, 2008
Security worries

I'm glad it's not just me who worries about security. I have been commuting to work regularly for the past few months on my Forte. I work at various locations as I work as a relief manager forthe local council. If I can get the Forte securely into the premises I'm working in I use it, if not I use the car. I have now ordered and am awaiting the arrival of a folding bike (Dahon D7HG) which I will use instead of the car. This can be taken into any of the premises I work in. My maximum commute is about 7 miles. Hopefully I am now fit enough to cope with this having improved my fitness on the Forte. If not I may consider electrifying the Dahon. Has anyone any suggestions as to suitable kit to do this?

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
I got a kryptonite New York D lock from Wiggle that came with a free 3m cable which goes through everything else on the bike. Think it was £53 but I have great peace of mind