Electric folding bike modification issues

derekhawker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 23, 2024
Hello, I’m looking for a bit of advice. I recently bought a B’TWIN OXYLANE 500E electric folding bike second hand. It’s in good condition and operates as it should but the controls are very limited, so I thought I’d try modify it and bought a new controller with display along with a couple of accessories/adaptors. To be honest I’m rather a novice at this sort of thing – I’ve converted a few bikes using kits but never had to cut wires and try to get everything to match up correctly. However, numerous YouTube videos and online resources have got me so far.

I quickly realised that Decathlon have (of course) decided to use a number of non-standard plugs and connectors that I’ve found nowhere else online, so I have had to do a bit of improvising. As it stands, the brake motor cut off sensors and the throttle are working, but the pedal assist is not. I think I have connected the latter correctly as the bike’s PAS sensor is receiving power (blinking red LED on turning pedals) and I’m working on the assumption that the one out of three wires which has a voltage change when the pedals are turned carries the signal. I have tried the other wire combinations in an attempt to rule them out.

However, the thing is the throttle only works when the phase wires ALONE are connected. When the hall sensors are connected, the motor does not move. I admit that, as the wire colours of the motor cable were the same as those on the controller, I took the chance that everything would match up but that clearly isn’t the case. I’m pretty confident the phase wires are correctly matched as the motor does move, plus they are considerably thicker than the hall wires.

My question is, should the PAS work regardless of whether the halls are connected? Or would it rely on them in some way? I thought the PAS sensor was more or less a simple switch. Obviously I plan to correct the hall wiring but I thought it would be useful to find out first if the two issues could be related. Any advice gratefully received! Many thanks

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The pedal assist is not affected by whether you are set to run sensorless or with hall sensors.

Does the controller have the self-learning (intelligent identification) wires? If so, do the self-learning procedure with the halls connected, and don't forget to disconnect the self-learning wires afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekhawker

derekhawker

Apr 23, 2024
Hi, thank you for your reply and for the advice. The controller does have self-learning (intelligent identification) wires so I'll give that a go this afternoon.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi, thank you for your reply and for the advice. The controller does have self-learning (intelligent identification) wires so I'll give that a go this afternoon.
You connect the wires, lift the motor wheel off the ground and switch on. After some time, the motor will start to rotate forwards or backwards slowly. If it goes backwards, you hear it whirring, but it doesn't move because of the clutch. In that case, you switch off and start again. Each time you do it, the motor changes direction. When you havethe correct motor movement, switch off and disconnect the wires.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Brilliant, thank you. I was just in the process of Googling that!
Please let us know how you get on. When you have that type of controller with the halls connected, it won't give any power if it detects a fault with the hall signals. In that case, you have to check whether they're pulsing when you turn the wheel backwards. With everything switched on, all you do is measure the voltage between black and each of blue, yellow and green while you turn the wheel.

derekhawker

Apr 23, 2024
I certainly will. Hoping to get a chance later tonight - it's a surprise for my wife...whether it's a good or bad one, time will tell! Thanks again

derekhawker

Apr 23, 2024
Hello again, sorry I think I'm being a bit dense. Should the hall wires also be connected to the controller when testing the signals?

derekhawker

Apr 23, 2024
Hello again, I wanted to say thank you for your help and guidance on this, it's much appreciated! I've now got the bike up and running. All the best

Reactions: saneagle

Advertisers