Electric gear change

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
My wife finally had to concede she needed an electric bike and bought a Raleigh Motus with Nexus 7 hub. However, her arthritis in her hands is now making it virtually impossible to turn the gear changer. On her previous bike with derailleur gearing, I had modified the levers to make them longer, but that was not an ideal situation. I am now wondering if I can modify her Motus to an electric gear change. We only cycle roads or canal towpaths etc, not looking for anything sporty.
Any advice/information members can offer most welcome.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020

What kind of shifter dies she have? Does it sit on top of the handlebar? The ones that sit below the handlebar are easier to use, they are known as rapidfire shifters. Some examples:
Sorry, perhaps I did not make it clear, this is the nexus 7 hub gear not derailleur. She has had derailleur on old cycle but I had to lengthen the levers so she could push them with the palm of her hand. Not ideal. When we selected the Motus, we went for the hub gear system ahe seemed ok with wrapping her hand around the rotary control. Alas this is also proving too much for her handto grip.
I have read about the bosch motor being linked to electric change.
The two suggestions for use with derailleur look interesting. Maybe I could remove the wheel with the hub gear and replace with derailleur but not sure if that is possible.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Maybe a few good, clear photos of what she has right now might spur us on?
I have some ideas, but I need to know exactly what I/we are up against, thanks in advance.
regards
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020

none of them will be cheap
Yes, that is what I saw. At the end of the day, provided it solves the problem, the cost not so bad as having to give up cycling.
This is the point of this posting, to find if there are any other ways of achieving an electric change but more economically.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
With the sort of cycling you are doing, does your wife need 7 gears? Could you change the hub to 3 speed, then there is less changing involved. Just a thought. (My hands are not what they were, so I have some sympathy!)

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Apologies as this won't be much use to you but my Volt Infinity has electronic hub gears shifted by a simple rocker switch at my right thumb.
I didn't buy the bike because of that feature but I couldn't do without it now.
A bonus is when I stop the system pre-selects 2nd ready for a start then a dab of my thumb through the range.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Apologies as this won't be much use to you but my Volt Infinity has electronic hub gears shifted by a simple rocker switch at my right thumb.
I didn't buy the bike because of that feature but I couldn't do without it now.
A bonus is when I stop the system pre-selects 2nd ready for a start then a dab of my thumb through the range.
I see that uses Shimano steps system, but certainly the sort of thing needed.