Electric Recumbents

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I really like the look of this Spirit recumbent Kinetics - HP Velotechnik Spirit
but with Bionx kit fitted it costs about £3,500. Does anyone know of anything similar available?

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I have one fitted with an ezee kit and it is very comfortable. The weight bias is on the rear wheel so steering can be a bit twitchy especially if you fit a front hub like I have. A rear hub would be better I think but this limits your choice of gears especially as you can only have a single front chainset. There's a 2nd hand one on ebay at the mo for reasonable money so this would be you best bet. They are quite hard to ride slowly. I still prefer my trike as it's more fun.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I've got a HP Spirit and piotrmacheta has one. Mine is a kind of Cytronex kit and piotrmacheta is an Ezee kit. There are other manufactures and there are cheaper ones.
If your interested in recumbents then best try a few. PM me if you want to try mine. There are only 2 HPVelo dealers in the UK. One in London and the other in Glasgow. London have a demo spirit that you can try. I suspect Glasgow will have one as well.

C

Cyclezee

A rear hub would be better I think but this limits your choice of gears especially as you can only have a single front chainset. There's a 2nd hand one on ebay at the mo for reasonable money so this would be you best bet. They are quite hard to ride slowly. I still prefer my trike as it's more fun.
Hi Peter,
My eZee powered TW Bents Artifice has a triple chainset and 9 speed Freewheel, so 27 gears which work really well, see also this recent thread http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/9528-who-has-tried-electric-trike.html

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
The HPV Spirit has no facility for a multi ring chainset on the front (not designed for a changer mech) so the only options are a hub, dual-drive or single cassette. I went the Rohloff route so front hub was a must. I is great but needs care when pulling away and taking slow corners.
In fact I have this problem with all my HPV recumbents as I don't have a front mech mount on the booms due to having a Rohloff because I like the neat clutter-free boom.
On my Scorpion fs I plan to fit a Schlumpf drive when I can figure out which one I need as this gives 2 gear ranges on top of the rear freewheel 8 speed I have at the mo. One day, I promise, I will take pics of all my electric bikes.
One day (I hope) someone will bring out a crank drive kit (like the Sunstar was) and I can use my Rohloff again.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
One day (I hope) someone will bring out a crank drive kit (like the Sunstar was) and I can use my Rohloff again.
Does this mean you dont think my "using a hub motor to drive the chain" solution is going to work? ..

C

Cyclezee

The HPV Spirit has no facility for a multi ring chainset on the front (not designed for a changer mech) so the only options are a hub, dual-drive or single cassette. I went the Rohloff route so front hub was a must. I is great but needs care when pulling away and taking slow corners.
In fact I have this problem with all my HPV recumbents as I don't have a front mech mount on the booms due to having a Rohloff because I like the neat clutter-free boom.
On my Scorpion fs I plan to fit a Schlumpf drive when I can figure out which one I need as this gives 2 gear ranges on top of the rear freewheel 8 speed I have at the mo. One day, I promise, I will take pics of all my electric bikes.
Sorry Peter,

I was thinking trike, not 2 wheeled Sprint. Can't wait for some pics to see exactly how many recumbents you have, it's anice day for a bit of photography hint, hint;)