Electric Trike for Disabled Friend

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
A mate of mind had a stroke a number of years ago and has little to no use in one of her arms. Walking is difficult as well. Her BF asked me about current electric Trikes which may offer her a form of transport other than walking (which is tough for her). I know of none so I thought i'd ask for some direction from you guys to what is currently available or whether a Trike would be to dangerous for her (tipping whilst cornering?).

Oh. And i'm not sure whether she'll need throttle only either. She may be able to pedal a little bit but I suspect that may be tough for her.

Cheers. Steve

Last edited:

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Thanks. Any opinions on the stability around the corners? I've never considered trikes to be that safe on the corners due to reportedly tipping over from time to time.

J has taken to using a trike because of balance & confidence problems. She had cycled for 50+ years on two wheels and found controlling a trike a big problem for a while. Corners weren't a problem - going in a straight line was!
We have planned modifications to the gearing and Bob has modified the throttle so that the trike doesn't rocket away leaving her clinging one for dear life! I think so long as cornering is approached a little more slowly on 3 than on 2 wheels all will be well. Trikes are fun and e-trikes are big-grin-fun!
Best wishes,
Tom

Last edited:

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
J has taken to using a trike because of balance & confidence problems. He had cycled for 50+ years on two wheels and found controlling a trike a big problem for a while. Corners weren't a problem - going in a straight line was!
We have planned modifications to the gearing and Bob has modified the throttle so that the trike doesn't rocket away leaving her clinging one for dear life! I think so long as cornering is approached a little more slowly on 3 than on 2 wheels all will be well. Trikes are fun and e-trikes are big-grin-fun!
Best wishes,
Tom
Thanks Tom. I think the last thing she needs is to tip the thing over. A tricky one to try out as well as even in a moderately sized city such as Bristol, I bet there's not a single one you can try out.. Hmmm..

Reactions: timidtom

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
If you can get a recumbent trike the stability and braking even with one hand will be a massively better and it is quite easy to fit a balanced brake lever on 1 side to operate both brakes.
The only question is whether the rider can sit down into one?

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
The only question is whether the rider can sit down into one?
That's something i'd be willing to find out from her. I get your point though that it is closer to the ground and more go-kart than bike in some ways. Better stability although I have to admit they are a bit harder to be seen from a motorists position. The flag is a good idea though.

Shame really as I picture her on the bike d8veh linked to above. It would suit her and give her some well needed freedom.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
That's something i'd be willing to find out from her. I get your point though that it is closer to the ground and more go-kart than bike in some ways. Better stability although I have to admit they are a bit harder to be seen from a motorists position. The flag is a good idea though.

Shame really as I picture her on the bike d8veh linked to above. It would suit her and give her some well needed freedom.
Turns out that I doubt the recumbent probably/possibly wouldn't work for her as I don't think she can do that 'low level' getting in and out so well..

It hasn't been ruled out though..