Electrical fault

Cuthy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 27, 2011
I have a bike with an electrical fault that I am having trouble fixing.

The bike is a rotation sensor electric bike. The bike runs okay but it has developed a tendency to cut out usually after going over a bump in the road. it will re-engaged after about 3 to 4 seconds or I have to go over another bump to get it going.

Clearly a wire is faulty but I can not seem to locate it.

Below are a list of things I have tried and each time the bike has been tested the problem has remained.

The throttle has always been disconnected.

1. Removed and cleaned magnetic sensor disc.
2. Replaced pedelec sensor cable.
3. Replaced control panel cable.
4. Disengaged brake sensor cables (remained disengaged)
5. Tested new cable connecting controller to motor.
6. Replaced controller.
7. New control panel and cable.
8. Swapped over magnetic sensor discs with one on another bike which worked fine. Also tested the one originally on the bike and it too worked fine.
9. Used different batteries.
10. Checked cable connections.

Is there a meter I can use to test current is passing through a cable and if so what should I look for?

D

Deleted member 4366

Perhaps if you told us which bike it is and what type of battery it has, we'd be able to help.

Cuthy

Jul 27, 2011
Sorry about the late reply - it is a pedego comfort cruiser with 36v 15ah battery.
It works but when it travels over the odd bump in the road it cuts out either for a couple of seconds or I have to give it another bump for it to re-engage. It has to be a loose wire but I cannot locate which cable is at fault

Cuthy

Jul 27, 2011
The bike is a 2013 model so the batteries are the aluminium ones which sit on the battery plate as opposed to the new version which are integrated into the frame

D

Deleted member 4366

Applying logic, the only things you didn't check/change are the cable from the battery to the controller and the motor cable from it's connector to inside the motor. I've heard of a few bikes with intermittent faults like yours that turned out to be damage to the motor cable where it enters the axle - sometimes not obvious from the outside. An ebike tester might show that if you wiggle the wire while you test it, but I suspect that you won't be able to get it on the cables to test it unless you have a spare motor/controller lead that you can butcher.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PC-24V-36V-48V-60V-Car-Scooter-Brushless-Electro-E-bike-Motor-Controller-Tester-/181246430524?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a33210d3c

Cuthy

Jul 27, 2011
Thanks d8veh - I did forget to mention that I swapped over wheels which includes the motor cable where it enters the axle with our other bike and the problem stayed with the bike so the motor cable does not seem to be the issue.

I noticed that one of the wires of the cable to the control panel had no silicon gel securing it so I have secured it with hot glue. I need to test it on a good run.

Advertisers