electrification of lightweight folder with hub gears

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
I'm looking for a folding bike that has hub gears, they are few and far between. There is a couple of posts on the "Which electric bike should I buy?" forum on this topic, and many of the replies to them don't read the original posts correctly where the posters absolutely specify hub gears.

The reason why hub gears are essential is because it's hard enough trying to get my wife back on to a bike in the first place, she would never, ever be able to cope with dérailleur gears especially when slowing down. I am sure there are others with the same problem, they are just too hard for an older female to grasp the concept of the way they work, they think back to the Sturmey Archer gears of 40 years ago.

I have been looking at maybe fitting an electric kit to one of these two bikes, that way I get what I want, not what a dealer/importer wants to sell me.

This looks good value: a Claude Butler folder only 12kg.

or this: the Dawes Diamond. 14.7kg

Any suggestions as to a kit which may be suitable for these bikes? I assume it would be too hard to fit a rear hub motor to either with the nexus gears, so it would have to be either a crank or front hub. I prefer LCD displays with all the info. rather than LED's (for when I ride it-she wouldn't have a clue what the display means).

Cheers, Tony.

D

Deleted member 4366

Brompton is a pretty obvious choice. Q85 motor in the front wheel, then use your imagination where to fit the battery and controller.

Totally understand the preference for hub gear in this situation.
My persuasion would be towards the Claude Butler and its Sturmey hub with a BBS mid drive from Bafang and a battery mounted on to the rear carrier rack.
This way the folding mechanism should still operate normally allowing for neat storage.
Total weight gain with this kit is approx 9kg.
As you say, the resulting ebike would be far better suited than most foldable complete bike options, and at a more reasonable price too.
Best of luck with whatever you choose :)
Darren

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: vidtek

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Brompton is a pretty obvious choice. Q85 motor in the front wheel, then use your imagination where to fit the battery and controller.
d8veh-
There is no way I would spend 3 or 4 times the money on a Brompton, this bike is my last-ditch attempt to get my wife back on 2 wheels. She may just reject it out of hand and not ride it at all-she is a VERY reluctant cyclist - I really dropped one when I bought her a Kudos Safari, it was just too big and heavy for her, which is why I am looking at a folder as they have 20" wheels and are lighter than the average bike.
As far as I can see Brompton's don't do a folder with hub gears anyway and that is an absolute requirement - she would never be able to master dérailleur gears in a month of Sundays, particularly as she doesn't really want to get back on a bike in the first place -she'd just reject dérailleur gears out of hand.
Cheers, Tony

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Totally understand the preference for hub gear in this situation.
My persuasion would be towards the Claude Butler and its Sturmey hub with a BBS mid drive from Bafang and a battery mounted on to the rear carrier rack.
This way the folding mechanism should still operate normally allowing for neat storage.
Total weight gain with this kit is approx 9kg.
As you say, the resulting ebike would be far better suited than most foldable complete bike options, and at a more reasonable price too.
Best of luck with whatever you choose :)
Darren

Darren-
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion, do you sell these, or can you point me towards a seller?

Tony.

Bafang BBS01 mid drive motors is all I do. I like them a lot.
I have fitted about a hundred to different styles of bikes over the last couple of years.
My input here is to share knowledge and experience where possible.
Perhaps have a search online, there are several reputable suppliers in the UK. :)

Reactions: vidtek
D

Deleted member 4366

it was just too big and heavy for her, which is why I am looking at a folder as they have 20" wheels and are lighter than the average bike.
Have you checked the weights? I think you'll find that that's not true, especially if you're looking at hub gears.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
Have you checked the weights? I think you'll find that that's not true, especially if you're looking at hub gears.
The Kudos was 29.4kg. plus battery
The Claude Butler is 12kg plus whatever kit is added. It's still got to be a helluva lot lighter than the Kudos and much easier to manage for her. The Barfang mid kit is 9kg total of 21kg.
Tony.

John Galvin

Pedelecer
May 14, 2014
d8veh-

As far as I can see Brompton's don't do a folder with hub gears anyway and that is an absolute requirement - she would never be able to master dérailleur gears in a month of Sundays, particularly as she doesn't really want to get back on a bike in the first place -she'd just reject dérailleur gears out of hand.
Cheers, Tony
Brompton certainly do hub gears. The two speed has a derailleur at the rear, the three speed is a hub gear and the six speed combines the two systems, albeit with different (wider) gearing for the hub.
They're a great bike but I didn't power mine. I built an electric folder based on a Tern nine speed (derailleur of course). It finished up at around 17-18kgs or less if you pop the battery out.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Both Tern and Dahon do internal hub bikes.