Electrifying a Yuba Mundo

Zinguri

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 25, 2014
Hello,
I would like to convert a Yuba Mundo

http://yubabikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/mundo_layout_specifications_2013.pdf

There are some already converted Yubas on sale, but it would seem that getting a Baffang or similar should be much less expensive. However, I don't know what kit would be best.

Yuba is a cargo bike and I use it with 2 big boys, school bags, instruments, etc. plus myself (I'm heavy!!) and I live in Harrow (HA7) which is very hilly.

I would appreciate your suggesitons on a kit, and also someone who would fit it in a professional way at a fair rate.

Please note that the battery cannot be in the bike rack as that's my passengers place.
For illustration, imagine something like this:

http://yubabikes.com/media/Yuba Life/Yuba Mundo in the Developing World/dsc02998.jpeg.php

Thanks a lot.
Zinguri.

D

Deleted member 4366

You need a high torque motor. Normally, I'd recommend a Bafang BPM kit from BMSBattery, but, if you're going to carry passengers, you might get a bit of police attention, so a legal kit might be better, in which case, you're pretty well limited to an Ezee kit from Cyclezee unless you're good at making 250W motor labels. The only other suitable kit I can think of is the Bafang BBS01 crank-drive (also available from Cyclezee), but I think you'll find it hard work compared with the Ezee motor.

Reactions: Cyclezee

Zinguri

Feb 25, 2014
Thanks D8veh,
For this particular application, would it be better a front or a rear drive kit?
I appreciate your help.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
That bike looks to me like it has a specially built rear wheel (48 spoke) , in order to take the punishment that a 200/300 kilo load will throw at it. If that's the case, then you might want to keep the rear and fit an electric front hub.

Front wheel kits are easier to fit and more versatile in my opinion, but are not so good off road. Front wheel also balances the weight a bit better.

I'd be interested to know if you have considered other cargo bikes, and if so what do you like about the Mundo? I may have to do one for a friend in the future.

Others I have considered: Kona Ute and Surly Big Dummy.

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't know if this a special order one, or whether it was drilled by someone, but this Ezee motor has 144 holes, so just about any number of spokes is possible:

I think a front one might be better because of the weight on the back if you have the standard 36 spokes. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference. If you have very steep hills, a rear motor would be better.

C

Cyclezee

That bike looks to me like it has a specially built rear wheel (48 spoke) , in order to take the punishment that a 200/300 kilo load will throw at it. If that's the case, then you might want to keep the rear and fit an electric front hub.

Front wheel kits are easier to fit and more versatile in my opinion, but are not so good off road. Front wheel also balances the weight a bit better.

I'd be interested to know if you have considered other cargo bikes, and if so what do you like about the Mundo? I may have to do one for a friend in the future.

Others I have considered: Kona Ute and Surly Big Dummy.
Hi Mike,

We supply both the Yuba el Mundo and the 2 versions of the eZee Expedir which can be specified with front or rear motor wheels.
As for the Surly Big Dummy, here is photo of one which belongs to a customer who fitted an eZee front motor kit.
image copy.jpg

My personal favourite is the eZee Expedir, it is the only electric cargo / utility bike designed from scratch, it is just such a versatile machine, the multi purpose vehicle of the electric bike field, two different frames and loads of options as well as being the bike that boss of eZee rode across Australia last year.
1075623_542643122450568_1902949098_n.jpg

Expedir LST2.jpg

Expedir GTS_green_nexave copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zinguri

Feb 25, 2014
Thanks for your inputs.
I liked the Mundo because it has a very high capacity at 200 kgs + rider (as far as I know, no other carries 2 wheeler carries this much, but I am a novice!). It also seems to be very versatile with lots of accessories readily available for families from small kids to adults and cargo, (and now that I have it, I can see that is easy to make your own). I also was attracted by the ability of carrying a "dead" bike on the side loaders, which is very useful , but the decision point for me was the price which is very competitive. Sadly, when I was looking at the electric versions all seemed to be very overpriced, so I went for the human powered one.

I will look at the options and maybe come back with more questions, or to let you know what I get. Thanks!!

Zinguri

Feb 25, 2014
Excuse my silly questions, but I am just trying to understand this.
Would it be all the things I need for the conversion?

Bafang 48V500W Front Driving BPM Hub Motor E-Bike Conversion Kit Packing List:
1. 26" whole wheel. Assembled a double wall aluminum alloy rim and 36pcs stainless steel spokes with brass nipples.
2. Motor model:Front-Driving 48V500W
3. A pair of Brake Grip.
4. A PAS---Padel Pulse Assist Sensor.
5. A 500W 12Mosfets universal controller.
6. 48V15Ah Li-Ion NiCoMn Aluminum Alloy shell ebike battery pack. Included 13s polymer cells, 1pcs 15A continuous discharge current smart BMS, 1pcs 48V3mps EMC-180 Lithium Ion battery Alloy shell charger..
7. A Thumb Level Throttle.

Thanks again.
Zinguri

C

Cyclezee

I don't know if this a special order one, or whether it was drilled by someone, but this Ezee motor has 144 holes, so just about any number of spokes is possible:

I think a front one might be better because of the weight on the back if you have the standard 36 spokes. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference. If you have very steep hills, a rear motor would be better.
Hi Dave,

This a special version of the eZee motor that was sold by ebikes.ca

D

Deleted member 4366

Excuse my silly questions, but I am just trying to understand this.
Would it be all the things I need for the conversion?

Bafang 48V500W Front Driving BPM Hub Motor E-Bike Conversion Kit Packing List:
1. 26" whole wheel. Assembled a double wall aluminum alloy rim and 36pcs stainless steel spokes with brass nipples.
2. Motor model:Front-Driving 48V500W
3. A pair of Brake Grip.
4. A PAS---Padel Pulse Assist Sensor.
5. A 500W 12Mosfets universal controller.
6. 48V15Ah Li-Ion NiCoMn Aluminum Alloy shell ebike battery pack. Included 13s polymer cells, 1pcs 15A continuous discharge current smart BMS, 1pcs 48V3mps EMC-180 Lithium Ion battery Alloy shell charger..
7. A Thumb Level Throttle.

Thanks again.
Zinguri
The battery is a bit light on current. The controller is 30 amps, so you need a battery capable of giving it. You might be better going for the S12S controller, which is only 23 amps, so should be OK with the battery you listed. The KU123 controller with that kit only has one level of pedal assist - maximum; however, it has some algorithm that relates it to cadence, so it's more or less useless for pedal assist.

Add to your list:
Hidden wire break sensors if you want to keep your present brake levers.
Their spoke key
The wheel-speed sensor if you go for the S12S
A PAS sensor if you go for the S12S
The LCD display if you go for the S12S

e aware that the 48v 201 BPM that they sell will max-out at about 15 mph.

Zinguri

Feb 25, 2014
D8veh,
Would it be best the RPM 328?
I read: "328RPM is often used for 16", 20" and 24" rim" or will also be restricted to 15MPH? I suppose that the components come with the cables and conectors required?
thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

328 rpm is too fast. 260 rpm should be OK for about 20 mph, but don't forget that the legal limit is 15 mph.

They give you a connector for the battery to the controller, which you'll have to solder on. That's about it. Everything else plugs in, but you might need to do some other minor wiring.