Electronic Cigarettes.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Hi Lynda. I just had a look on Ebay, and you can get them in just about any length you desire, including super long ones if you want to go to a party dressed as a flapper. One thing to watch out for, is remember that rollups tend to be slimmer than ready made cigarettes. The last one I had, about 40 years ago, was tapered inside, and so would take any size of cigarette. Try your local tobacconist so that you can see what you are buying. Or, Ebay item 170919094107 is designed to fit rollups. I am sure you will find something to your liking, and they do not cost much.
Come and join us, you KNOW you want to...

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi Neptune, well, when i get through this mountain of golden virginia smooth that Ive just brought back from spain I will think about it lol
I will however get a small holder anyway to protect my lips whilst I do it :D

Lynda :)

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I just found something quite interesting. Did you know that the government has something called the "Nudge Commitee "? This is a government dept which is designed to influence public opinion . Google the following.
United Kingdom Cabinet Office Behavioral Insight Team electronic Cigarettes
There is an article from the Guardian dated 14th Sept 20012
Aparrently the Government are actually encouraging people to change to efags. Can we look forward to getting them free on the NHS? This is in contrast to some countries where they are being banned. It would appear that smoking related deaths could be cut by 50%. Perhaps some kind person could post a link? I dont`t know how to do links.

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
This has been a very interesting read, I am going to give E-Cigarettes a try, I have opted for the SkyCig, which hopefully should arrive by the time I have finished my duty free Amber Leaf.........;)

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Hi Smudger. SkyCig is a brand that has received good reports on the internet, so I expect you will get on well with that, and wish you luck. I am on day five now, and still off the weed. It has felt a bit harder today, due to various stressful family situations, but the crisis is over and I am still coping.
My rechargable kit came today. It worked out quite expensive, and with hindsight, I would have placed a different, cheaper order. I ended up paying about £60, and this is what I got.
Two batteries
Five "Cartomisers" [combined cartridge and vapouriser]
One 10ml bottle of "Juice" to refill cartomisers.
One USB powered battery charger
One portable charger/case to recharge your fag batteries in your pocket.

This latter item has its own internal battery, and comes with a lead to recharge it from a computer USB.
This latter item costs about £35 and if you dont need it, you can recharge your fag batteries off the computer, or for abour £3 you can get a charger that works from a mains socket.
The brandname is Jacvapour, and they have a website. Cartomisers [prefilled] and juices are available in various strengths and flavours. I chose the 18ml strength, as I was a heavy smoker. You can get one even stronger. I chose Tobacco flavour.
Up to now, I am well happy with the kit. Vaping will cost about £1.20 a day, or about half that it I fill my own cartomisers. Win or loose, I will keep you informed, so watch this space.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Up to now, I am well happy with the kit. Vaping will cost about £1.20 a day, or about half that it I fill my own cartomisers. Win or loose, I will keep you informed, so watch this space.
Just think with all the money you save you will be able to buy a really nice bike in the summer :)

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Hi GaRRy, It is funny that you should say that, because that is exactly what I have in mind. Not only but also, I am looking forward to being able to really extend the battery range, with some vigorous prolonged pedalling.
Yes, i know I am starting to sound like an evangelical preacher. Seriously, these bloody efags should come with a government health warning.

"Caution, this product may cause you to accidentally stop smoking."

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I think I'm ready to get rid of my Marlboro Red panic stock supply. Decided I'm not going back to smoking tobacco. I'll have to count to be sure but I have about 2000m in emergency reserves that I bought to make sure I never ran out. They'll work out a lot cheaper than the newsagent.

If anyone wants to take them / some of them off my hands to tide them over till they get to grips with eCigs, send me a PM. I'm sure not everyone is ready to quit !

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
You are all starting to make me feel guilty for not even trying yet :(

But then I am known for having the will power of a gnat......

I will keep reading this thread and see if I can rustle up some determination......but at least I already have 2 SkyCigs for when I feel the need ;)

Lynda :)

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I find some of the claims from these e-cigs are misleading, I noticed some say their filters are equivelent to 40 cigs, but on the packet it says 16mgs of Nicotine, which I calculate to be equal to about 12/15 standard taylor-made cigarettes(@1.2mg +/- per cigarette), so I would recommend to check the nicotine content before considering which product to go for as you could end up paying more for using a e-cig, than normal cigarettes

Last edited:

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Hi Jasper. Yes I think that is a very valid point. In every trade there are rip off merchants. Until today, my experience has been limited to disposable 10 motives. I previously smoked rollups, so it is difficult to equate to ready made cigarettes. What I did seem to find, is that within the same brand, some seem to last longer than others. That might be true, or it might be due to the fact that one smokes more one day than another.
One mistake that could easily be made by someone new to efags, is to choose a brand or model with too little nicotine content. If you are not getting a proper fix, you will be more tempted to go back to analogue fags. Also, keep a disposable on stock, in case of equipment failure, flat battery etc. Remember you can cut down on dosage at a later date if desired.
One problem I have found is this. With analogue fags, you automatically stop smoking when your fag is consumed. With an efag, you have to make a conscious decision when you have had enough, or you could be still sitting there four hours later.
There is one thing that worries me. The government are allegedly planning to encourage people to convert to vaping. The problem is that with government endorsement will come testing, type approval, and dare I say it, bloody taxation. So people will carry on smoking [starring Barbara Windsor and Sid James] because it is cheaper than vaping. I suppse that we should think ourselves lucky that unlike Canada and Australia and some other countries, vaping has not yet been banned.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Once you really get into it ... Nicotine liquid from china, flavourings from USA, VG & PG from eBay, rewire your own atomisers ... What's to ban, batteries :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
Have to admit, I have spent a good few hours today on the interwebby 'genning up' on E-Cigarettes, a lot of scaremongering and mis-information, all out weighed by the positives.
I had thoughts about the Government 'getting involved', tobacco tax revenue for 2010/2011 was £9.2 billion, treatment for smoking related illness amounted to a cost £2.7 billion, makes one think.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I had thoughts about the Government 'getting involved', tobacco tax revenue for 2010/2011 was £9.2 billion, treatment for smoking related illness amounted to a cost £2.7 billion, makes one think.
Thats good to know that I have done my bit for the NHS.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I am writing any countries which ban vaping off my list of countries I am willing to travel to. Australia & Canada should be ashamed of themselves - they allow cigarettes but ban these ? Absolute madness - they are definitely keeping more of their citizens smoking than would otherwise be (I am convinced of that) and therefore are doing nothing short of encouraging them to kill themselves and remain enslaved to tobacco. There is no excuse for it at all.

I'm sure the governments are hoping that these are not shown to be a stop smoking aid (so they leave the door open to tax nicotine).

By the way, I agree with what Neptune says about being able to "chain-vape". It's easy to get through quite a lot if you do (same as with regular cigarettes !). I smoke 2 x 18mg (supposedly high strength) 10motives cartridges per day, bought on-line (the cartridge quality is fine whereas supplies from supermarkets can be faulty and I retuned a load to Sainsburys in the early days). That is meant to equate to about 50 cigs a day but of course it doesn't. As soon as you open the cartridges you get evaporation (you notice this if you start one before going to bed and carry on in the morning). It's lessened if you pop the rubber cap back on when not in use but there are still losses.

It's rather like Nicorettes - I used to chew 4mg gum in situations like meetings or on planes when I couldn't smoke. There is no way you got a full 4m out of one though - always "juice left in them" when you spit them out. Plus I used to want a fag whilst chewing them - and there was a time when I sometimes had one :rolleyes:.

2 cartridges cost about £2.75 once you have the rechargeable battery equipment. 30 cigarettes used to cost me £10.80 per day. The saving is about £8/day , £56/week, £243/month / £2,900pa. It would be nigh on impossible for me to end up spending more vaping than smoking unless I did nothing else from the moment I woke to the moment I went to sleep - even I wouldn't take kindly to that much nicotine in a day ! :eek:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Daylight robbery - especially as they used to deny smokers treatment for all sorts in the NHS even though they had effectively been subsidising the NHS relative to the additional burden they were on account of their smoking.

In truth I used to travel to Europe regularly to buy cigs for personal consumption - could get several free holidays per year for the tax savings on the volumes I smoked. I am actually missing my holidays most as I have no excuse to run away every few weeks. But ecigs are still cheaper than even Euopean fags so have spent the savings on a bike instead. It's not all bad :cool:.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
The 'Government' in the guise of the HMRA did try and screw things up (carefully chosen phrase).. but were stalled in their attempts by a great 'lobby' group set up by several retailers and headed by a very clever lady, it was a pity that one of the largest retailers Mr Wicked (Jason) of Totally Wicked had his own cunning plan and didn't join in the fun.

This is neither the time or place for me to cast dispersions about alleged connections between the big money pharmaceutical companys and their attempts to get nicotine classed as being a medicinal product... and guess who makes money from medicinal products and also who is funded by them :rolleyes:

The long term success rate of patches/pills/inhalers is a shocking small %, I believe that its about 6 -8%.. which is a fantastic on going income for the manufactures.

The long term success rate of E cigarette users is >80%, the peeps that fail are the ones that cant be bothered with the bit of necessary faffing about that's required (charging batteries, changing cartridges, keeping a stock of bits and so on)

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I have seen that figure before and I think you will find it is wrong as Australia's yearly health system cost due to smoking 6 years ago was over $5 billion au per year and our population is about a third of the UK's.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Ok, we are into day six, and still going strong. I decided to have a change of scenery today. Over the years, I have done a lot of travelling, and now, due to going blind in one eye, I no longer drive. So I decided to do a bit of "travelling" today. I decided to take the train to Sleaford, which is 17 miles from Boston, where I live.
I had a Vape on the station platform, which was quite busy, but no one said anything. On the train, a ticket inspector asked for my ticket. I asked him what the official policy is with regard to the use of e-cigarettes on trains. he replied that he had never heard of them, and did not know what i was talking about. I suggested that for his own benefit he should find out.
I got off the train with my accoustic ebike [push bike] and cycled into the town market place, where I sat on a bench and had a vape. I decided to cycle home via back roads and small villages, rather than take the A17, which is a bit of a nightmare on a bike. I went through Kirkby-la-thorpe [locally pronounced as Kirkby LAY thorpe], Asgarby, Ewerby, and Howell, finally emerging back to the main road at East Heckington. I stopped a couple of times for a break, and once to eat my sandwiches.
It was an amazing day for early January, bright sunshine, temperature 10 degrees , amd a 12 MPH wind behind me all the way home. I actually found myself pedalling and singing at the same time!I got back at 1.00 . I have just put one on my fag batteries on charge, and the next job is to try refilling a cartomiser.

Advertisers