Electronic Cigarettes.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I just bought an "acoustic eBike" too (second hand off eBay) which will inevitably stay like that for a wee while. Been dying to get on a train and take my bike somewhere different for a ride for ages. As this is a 26" one, should be easier to find a train somewhere which will take it.

Now I just need to get it checked over and get some spare inner tubes etc. so it can have a proper outing sometime soon.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Hi Alex, congratulations on winning the bike on Ebay. I am sure that many of us keep a pushbike as well as an ebike. You dont need to be an athlete to sometimes appreciate riding unassisted. Its a different ball game, pure and unadulterated. In truth, my pushbike sees more miles than my ebike, and now i have kicked Tar-bacco, this will probably continue to be the case. I have so much more energy now, so i have to use it somehow, and at 67 I am a bit old to take a mistress. Having said that, I am promising myself a new Ebike for the spring.
I have just refilled my first cartomiser. It went fairly well for the first attempt. I am a bit paranoid about spilling juice on my fingers, so to avoid this, I have made a gadget to help me next time. It consists of a block of wood, about 2 inches by 2 inches, about three quarters of an inch thick. I have drilled a hole through the centre. The hole is not vertical, but tilted over at about 45 degrees. The idea is to slip the cartomiser into the hole, so that it is held at the correct angle to drop juice into. So any slight spillage will fall onto the wood block, and not onto your fingers. I will report back on how well it works.
As I type this, I have just had a look out of the window. It is 4.15 PM and still daylight. Already a very noticeable improvement since the winter solstice. There is probably another 10 or 15 minutes daylight left. What a brilliant end to what has been a remarkable day!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^

Thanks neptune. It's funny, you've got the same sort of elated positivity I had for the first couple of weeks after I quit - really great to see and I can completely understand how you must feel. The forward momentum it gives you is amazing. Good luck with the juicing experiments ... I never managed to get to grips with roll-ups and I expect it'll be the same with these things - so much easier just to bang another cartridge on. Plus I figured I might like the juice so much I'll never give it up if I start on that !!!

So nice to get the extra daylight. I work at night a lot (never been an early riser except in the Tropics with constant daylight cycles) so appreciate it all the more. Downhill all the way from here to Summer on that front.

I'm really enjoying these mild evenings at the moment too - really great for unpowered riding when it's just sub-10 degrees, about the perfect temperature. Did a post-midnight unpowered fast ride tonight on a borrowed bike with road slicks on it in the cool on clear roads, ditching all the usual extra carried weight and taking nothing but the front door key... it having quickly dawned on me that you don't have anywhere to put anything much more than that when you go out on one of those things !!

Been working quite hard to gently ease my fitness levels up but can honestly say that my stamina in particular is likely higher now than it has been for at least 15 years. Entirely down to the combined effects of eBikes and eCigs which between them got me out on the tarmac every day and latterly back in a gym too 3 times a week after 15 years (no cardio there - no need and can't stand stationary bicycles etc anyway !). I'm actually enjoying all of it. It's an outcome I could only have dreamed would happen so soon when I flogged my car in September and handed the proceeds to 50 Cycles :eek:. Lots to look forward to now in the year ahead. The possibilities are actually endless ... if time and opportunity permit.

I have so much more energy now, so i have to use it somehow, and at 67 I am a bit old to take a mistress.
:D ... Silvio Berlusconi didn't let age hold him back ;)

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
The problem is that for every + there is always a -

The + is that after a while your sense of smell will come back :)

The - is that not all smells are nice, which leads to the temptation of giving advice to passing strangers about using deodorant :(

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Ok, we are into day six, and still going strong. I decided to have a change of scenery today. Over the years, I have done a lot of travelling, and now, due to going blind in one eye, I no longer drive. So I decided to do a bit of "travelling" today. I decided to take the train to Sleaford, which is 17 miles from Boston, where I live.
I had a Vape on the station platform, which was quite busy, but no one said anything. On the train, a ticket inspector asked for my ticket. I asked him what the official policy is with regard to the use of e-cigarettes on trains. he replied that he had never heard of them, and did not know what i was talking about. I suggested that for his own benefit he should find out.
I got off the train with my accoustic ebike [push bike] and cycled into the town market place, where I sat on a bench and had a vape. I decided to cycle home via back roads and small villages, rather than take the A17, which is a bit of a nightmare on a bike. I went through Kirkby-la-thorpe [locally pronounced as Kirkby LAY thorpe], Asgarby, Ewerby, and Howell, finally emerging back to the main road at East Heckington. I stopped a couple of times for a break, and once to eat my sandwiches.
It was an amazing day for early January, bright sunshine, temperature 10 degrees , amd a 12 MPH wind behind me all the way home. I actually found myself pedalling and singing at the same time!I got back at 1.00 . I have just put one on my fag batteries on charge, and the next job is to try refilling a cartomiser.
Good luck with the e-cig, I enclose a link of one incident involving a e-cig., I think most people remember
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/05/m6-coach-passengers-evacuated-police

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Day seven and still going strong. They always used to say that if you can quit for a fortnight you are well on your way to quitting. Well today I am halfway there, and I have an awful suspicion that I am going to make it.
Re refilling cartridges with juice. It is a little bit fiddly the first time, but I am getting the knack of it now. The home made holding jig was a big help, see earlier post. Refilling will bring down the cost by about 50%, so if you have not much money and plenty of time, it is the way to go, and speeds up saving for a new bike. There is a bewildering variety of juices available, but for the present, I am sticking with a basic tobacco flavour with an 18 mg strength.
Regarding the return of the sense of smell. I agree with Old Dave about strangers and personal freshness. My only gripe about deoderants, is that I swear that in some cases, the cure is worse than the problem. Some of the stuff that young people wear now, is probably a by product of the nerve gas manufacturing process. The heady scent of teenage desperation... When I was in Sleaford yesterday, I suddenly became aware of the wonderful smell of fried bacon. There was a guy sitting on a bench eating a bacon sandwich, and I swear I could detect the smell 200 yards away.
One thing I must buy next time I place an order is the mains powered charger, otherwise I can only recharge when my computer is on. I have just been to Asda`s for some bread, and noticed that they don`t sell efags. However, Tesco and the local Co-op do, so It is good that the word is spreading. Still feeling positive about things at present.

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ this. Most smartphone chargers have a slot... or you can get one of these things for emergencies which also work :

Anker® Astro2 Dual USB Output 8400mAh Backup External: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

They last for ages, can charge many phones too and it means if you're on the move you can just take it with you. Since starting biking I haven't had to use it for anything as I go away from home far less often than before.

Wound up buying 4 batteries to cycle (lost another 2 when out and about on the bike, in gym etc etc !!!) and eventually caved and bought the 10motives power pack as well, which holds 2 spare batteries, charges one of them as needed and up to 5 cartridges. It's been a lifesaver and lives in my rack bag. Just have to make sure I don't lose the blooming thing at the price they are.

Eventually consolidated my unsmoked fag stocks today. Final count was a shocking 14 1/2 cartons in total (they were spread over 2 homes in case I wound up staying in one longer than expected) - worked out that amounts to over a grand's worth at current prices. Or a new Kudos Arriba / hi-power kit and decent bike. If I was allowed to retail them I'd be laughing all the way to the nearest bike shop !!!!!

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I am surprised at how much interest this thread has created. [Day 8 now, and still ok.] To most people this thread must be very boring, a bit like reading about weight loss diets. However I do not regret starting it, as after all it is in the Charging Post section, and people are free to ignore it if they wish. I feel well justified in starting it, if it helps just one smoker to discover a better alternative.
I do not have a smartphone, just a basic Asda £10 phone which I carry for emergencies, so the charger is basic, with no USB port. So I have ordered a cheap mains/USB adapter from Ebay, under £4.00 inclusive of delivery.
In assessing relative costs of vaping and smoking, many people in this area smoke rollups, using black market tobacco. This works out at about £2 a day. It`s early days, but it looks like if I refill my own cartomisers, it will cost me £1 a day or less, so a very worthwhile saving. And talking of savings, one needs to be careful in the early stages, as there are a bewildering array of products on the market, and it can be tempting to try anything and everything, and before you know it you have spent a fortune.
Having looked at a few Vaping forums on the web, some people become totally obsessed by the subject, and seem to spend every waking hour mixing exotic juices, importing ingredients from all corners of the globe. At this stage, that seems a bit strange to me, because after all, most smokers stick to one brand, rather than becoming obsessed with blending their own tobacco. I suppose that the answer is to strike a happy medium.
One thing I have not really thought about, is the long term future. After all, I am still staggering under the impact of stopping smoking by accident. As I see it there are three options. One, go back to smoking tobacco, which is the worst option, and I definitely have no wish to go there. Option two would be to quit altogether, but I do not want to consider that for some months, as it could easily lead to relapsing into tobacco smoking. So in the short term, it looks like I will carry on Vaping. I have no doubt that if I carry on vaping for the rest of my life, it will be a longer happier life, and that is a victory in itself.
How do others feel about that?

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
To most people this thread must be very boring, a bit like reading about weight loss diets. However I do not regret starting it, as after all it is in the Charging Post section, and people are free to ignore it if they wish. I feel well justified in starting it, if it helps just one smoker to discover a better alternative.
...not so...I don't smoke...I stopped 25 years ago...but find the thread enthralling.
If I still smoked I would certainly go the ecig route

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I am surprised at how much interest this thread has created. [Day 8 now, and still ok.] To most people this thread must be very boring, a bit like reading about weight loss diets. However I do not regret starting it, as after all it is in the Charging Post section, and people are free to ignore it if they wish. I feel well justified in starting it, if it helps just one smoker to discover a better alternative.
I do not have a smartphone, just a basic Asda £10 phone which I carry for emergencies, so the charger is basic, with no USB port. So I have ordered a cheap mains/USB adapter from Ebay, under £4.00 inclusive of delivery.
In assessing relative costs of vaping and smoking, many people in this area smoke rollups, using black market tobacco. This works out at about £2 a day. It`s early days, but it looks like if I refill my own cartomisers, it will cost me £1 a day or less, so a very worthwhile saving. And talking of savings, one needs to be careful in the early stages, as there are a bewildering array of products on the market, and it can be tempting to try anything and everything, and before you know it you have spent a fortune.
Having looked at a few Vaping forums on the web, some people become totally obsessed by the subject, and seem to spend every waking hour mixing exotic juices, importing ingredients from all corners of the globe. At this stage, that seems a bit strange to me, because after all, most smokers stick to one brand, rather than becoming obsessed with blending their own tobacco. I suppose that the answer is to strike a happy medium.
One thing I have not really thought about, is the long term future. After all, I am still staggering under the impact of stopping smoking by accident. As I see it there are three options. One, go back to smoking tobacco, which is the worst option, and I definitely have no wish to go there. Option two would be to quit altogether, but I do not want to consider that for some months, as it could easily lead to relapsing into tobacco smoking. So in the short term, it looks like I will carry on Vaping. I have no doubt that if I carry on vaping for the rest of my life, it will be a longer happier life, and that is a victory in itself.
How do others feel about that?
As far as the daily cost of e-cigs, I think it comes secondary when ones health is at stake. My main ambition is to completely transfer my nicotine intake to e-cig, which has not been easy for me after 4 month of using the e-cig I have cut my tobacco consumption down by half, but the other half is starting to become difficult, replacing those cigs ie: first ones in the morning, one after a meal, or drink, are the ones i find the most difficult to transfer, but I am determined to keep it going, and always looking out for a better e-cig delivery system than the one i have.

Last edited:

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
It's good.....but it's not right!:).

As a 53 year old ex smoker of only 4 years I'm all for anything that helps you give up cigarettes.
Vaping wasn't around when I gave up. I smoked all my adult life and tried countless times to give up.
What did it for me was my interest in electric bikes. Being slightly obsessed with them, I ordered a Pro Connect S when they first became available.
Spending nearly two grand on myself when I had four young children and a modest income brought me out in a colder sweat than stopping smoking did.
I stopped the day I placed my bike order and haven't smoked since. To be honest I didn't really think I'd make it past the first few weeks but somehow the weeks turned into months then years.
I don't like the smell of smoke now but very occasionally get a slight urge for one....all those triggers, cup of coffee, finishing a piece of work etc.
So glad I made it though, just wish I'd succeeded earlier in my life.
Anyway, good luck with the vaping. Cant help feeling your just replacing one habit with another similar one albeit a lot less harmful one.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I remember reading a story last year about someone who was stealthily smoking one of these e-cigs on a National Express coach inside a bag. The chap was Asian and someone sitting a few seats back saw smoke coming from his bag and called the police who thought it might be a terrorist incident! All the passengers ended up spending a good hour or so sitting at the side of the road while the police searched the coach and the contents of all the bags.

As for the e-cigs, I think it's a great invention. There's a lot of benefits besides the obvious health benefits to the user from not smoking real cigarettes, your hands, breath, clothes and house won't stink and there's no passive smoking for children or others. If you're trying to give up smoking though I don't think switching to e-cigs is the way to go about it (or using those silly patches). I used to smoke and just decided one day I was going to stop and I haven't smoked since. I was lucky I guess that I never got addicted to nicotine and never really enjoyed smoking..it was just a social thing.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Well done Neptune, and good on ya!

FWIW I have been using a 510 kit for 6 months now. 510 is not a brand, but a (sort of) standard, and you can get cartomisers/batts from many different sources. Personally, i use:

Electronic Cigarettes | Vaping Devices | Accessories | E-Liquid

for most of my supplies. I find them to be pretty reliable and cost effective. They do a 510 starter kit for around £22.

I mix my own juice from Nic/PV/VG and flavouring (very easy to do) and I reckon cost are about £15 - £20/month. YMMV.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@Jasper. Whilst I sympathise, I can not really relate to your problem. As I said, I just changed over in one go , more or less by accident. I am retired, so my life is generally low stress. I would suggest the first thing in the morning fag is the hardest one to replace, but is easier if you do not have to rush about in the mornings. All my life, I have had a strict morning routine. Out of bed, weetabix and a cup of tea, smoke a fag [now replaced by vaping] walk round the block, back home for a coffee and a smoke[now vape] and then get on with the days business. Try to get into the habit of getting up immediately you finish a meal, and walk round the block, at least 200 metres. Limit yourself to a strict number of fags a day, and do NOT smoke them at the times when you MUST have a fag. I wish you success.
@Kenny. Yes I am replacing one bad habit with a less harmful one, but at least I have quit Tar-bacco.
@Mike Higgins. Many thanks for the link, that looks a very good site. At some stage I might want to pick your brains about recipes.

I had a strange thought today. I understand that the e-cigarette was invented by a Chinese chemist. As with all new inventions, the Mark 1 looks nothing like the model that makes it to market. After all we are talking about a prototype, with no custom made components, and no attempt at miniaturisation. So it is made from off the shelf components.
So it probably had a case the size of a microwave oven, a juice tank of 5 to ten litres and power would be supplied by a small car battery. To make it portable, it would be mounted on a backpack frame, and have a tube over your shoulder to a mouthpiece. It must have been very inconvenient getting on and off a bus...

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
having read this blog i bought an ecigarette on 4th jan,love it havent smoked a normal cig yet, sent away for refills , may try to make my own juice next.thanks neptune .

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@John h. I am delighted to hear the good news. You do not say so, but you probably started with a disposable as many people [myself included]did. Try to avoid putting yourself in a situation where you run out of e-cigs, even if it means buying further disposables. Since I started vaping, I heve discovered that at least two other local retailers sell disposables beside Tesco, namely, Superdrug and the Co-op.
I have not tried DIY juice mixing yet. My plan is to stick to one basic flavour for a while, and then the next stage may be to buy juice in larger quantities as it works out cheaper.
I was in town today, and called in at the office of an organisation called Phoenix. This is a stop smoking organisation financed by the NHS and Lincolnshire County Council , I believe. I thought it was unlikely that they would support the use of e-fags, but I wanted to hear it from them. I walked, in and was introduced to an adviser. Part of the conversation went like this.
Adviser. "Do you wish to stop smoking?"
Me "No I do not smoke"
Adv "Then what are you doing here?"
Me "I wanted to hear your views on electronic cigarettes."
Adv " We do not supply them, or recommend them".
Me "Why?"
Adv "They contain nicotine"
Me "What do you recommend then?"
Adv "Patches"
Me "But dont they contain nicotine?"
Adv " Yes but that is different. They have undergone years of testing.We do not know the long term effects of electronic cigarettes."
Me " We know the long term effects of tobacco cigarettes, they kill you. Would you recommend those instead?
Adv. We would preferr you to stop , usin nicotine patches.
Me. So basically you are saying quit or die?
Adv " I would not put it quite like that."

As they used to say in the News of the World, "At this point I made an excuse and left..."
Me

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
My main ambition is to completely transfer my nicotine intake to e-cig, which has not been easy for me after 4 month of using the e-cig I have cut my tobacco consumption down by half, but the other half is starting to become difficult, replacing those cigs ie: first ones in the morning, one after a meal, or drink, are the ones i find the most difficult to transfer, but I am determined to keep it going, and always looking out for a better e-cig delivery system than the one i have.
I struggled for weeks after starting in an extremely stressful situation which made me determined to try to cut my dependence on fags which might become more and more costly to replace. It was the same sorts of triggers I'd always have my regular fags after.

My first step was to step down the fags and cycle as much as I could manage if the cravings came on. I got down from 30 regulars to 8-10 with eCigs. Then I stagnated and couldn't cut the cigs down further.

I realized one evening when having my usual "last fag before bed time" that when I woke up and instinctively went for the 1st fag that this cycle had to be broken from start of the day. A day which starts with a fag will always end with one. I had to believe that the eCig would be the thing I would be going for next morning and that it would be enough.

I woke up a little earlier than normal and went to the place I usually smoked my first fag of the day, with my eCig, thinking positively that this was going to be my life from now on... and it would be enough. My mind kept fighting but the body was actually calmed. I made sure I kept busy all day for the first couple of days with no regular fags and had faith that my mind would come to terms with believing that real cigs were not needed as long as I didn't weaken.

It took a LOT of positive conscious effort to work around the real cig reflexes and not to kick against the idea that the eCigs must be inferior at every trigger situation. I realized you need strong fresh cartridges (if using these) to fight a really strong craving incident and bought a big stock. It's a long term outcome you're going for and it warrants a serious commitment and time out if needed.

Main thing is if you have a go at ditching tobacco and have a couple of lapses, just make sure you keep it to that one day and have another go the next day. Don't beat yourself up. If your mind takes more weaning off than other people that's just a personal thing and everyone's different. It's your 'switching journey' (or whatever you want to see it as) and it will be different to others.

What I do know is you really need to want to be shot of tobacco badly for anything to work if you are highly addicted. Try some deep breathing alongside the eCigs for a few days. As it gets better you get a real incentive to carry on with it.

I really loved my tobacco (not its health effects though) and only believed I would not lapse back to it after about 1-2 weeks off real cigarettes. Every inch of me was kicking and screaming all the way against my deep desire to be free of tobacco dependence. It's by far the hardest thing I ever quit. Every moment of my day was shaped by tobacco and losing it did not come without a great deal of work and mental commitment. So even if some seem to turn off the switch easily, others of us have more of a battle.

You can do it if you want to - just set some realistic goals, believe in yourself and start the next stage when you're mentally ready. Good luck !

Try to avoid putting yourself in a situation where you run out of e-cigs, even if it means buying further disposables. Since I started vaping, I heve discovered that at least two other local retailers sell disposables beside Tesco, namely, Superdrug and the Co-op.
Sainsburys sell 10Motives and Waitrose sell Gamucci (which taste like old socks !!). Some BP garages sell Nicolites. I didn't get on with these - not enough 'burn' ! I found the cartridges direct from 10Motives better than the ones from the supermarkets and stuck with those ever since. It's a pain you have to pay a high postage charge but if you order a stack the extra cost is spread, so not so much per pack of 5.

Totally agree make sure you never run out. Relying on buying over the counter is a big mistake - my local supermarkets kept running out of stock and after the second round of cycling 5 miles round trip to get them and going home empty handed to my packet of cigarettes I decided to buy a big stock on-line. They officially become "my stash" :).

Last edited:

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I wonder if there is a legal limit on nicotine levels, as i have noticed disposable/cartridge refills, do not exceed 18mg of nicotine, which does not cover the average levels of a pkt of 20(21gms), unless your smoking something like silkcut, which i think they base their advertised number of cigarette equivalence on, which is misleading for those who first start on the e-cig who do need to have a full dosage before one can start to reduce there nicotine levels. It would be nice if these e-cigs manufacturers could be more honest about this and not base it on branded cigarettes with the lowest nicotine levels.

Last edited:

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@Jasper53. Just a brief reply, more later perhaps. The supplier I use , Jacvapour, does carts in the following strengths, 24mg , 18mg, 11mg, and zero. [Day ten and still 100%.]
Added Later
Juice is also available in the above strengths, for those who wish to refill cartomisers. One problem that may occur with disposables bought from local retailers, is shelf life. It is early days, and sales are not that high, so there may be some loss of strength due to storage.
For those who wish to get completely off tobacco, do not make it easy for yourself to relapse. Avoid having any tobacco in the house if possible. One of my big "triggers" was rest stops on my regular daily bike ride, where I always had a rollup. That has been firmly replaced with a vape stop without a lot of trouble.
Someone mentioned breathing exercises. Try this. First, breath out. And I mean out. Completely empty your lungs, more empty than you have ever done before. Now take an enormous inhale, and hold it in for a count of five.Repeat three times. This may make you dizzy, so you need to be sitting down. For me, this completely banishes any craving. It also reminds you of just how much extra lung capacity you have now.
Lovely 10 mile ride out this morning. Still very mild for January, and not a lot of wind. Ok, it is time now to get my other bike out with the kiddy seat, and take my grandson to playschool.

Last edited:

Advertisers