Electronic Cigarettes.

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
I noticed the report on news last night, and wondered how long it will be before more councils jump on the band wagon, I dont no of any one that has took up vaping before taking up smoking first and try to stop with ecigs . maybe council cant seem to find a way to make money out of ecigs so ban it:mad:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Being Welsh, I find this action by the Welsh Government extremely embarrassing.
We are going to look like those Deep South Americans in the 1920's and their 'Monkey Trial' where they prosecuted a teacher for teaching Darwinism rather than the Bible.
They became, and still are an utter laughing stock.
As the Welsh people no doubt will be if this law is enforced.

Reactions: john h

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
I dont think the Welsh will be the only ones mike, as others will jump on the bandwagon,( more fool them) as was said on this thread before its all about money who paid for the consultation? did they have one, who was on the panel ? or did they just read some bad press? before they took this decision. TO my knowledge no one has died from ecigs or got cancer or any other illness, but plenty have given up cigs, the facts dont seem to count, they would rather have people smoke at the cost of millions to the N H S

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
who paid for the consultation? did they have one, who was on the panel ? or did they just read some bad press? before they took this decision.
From what I heard at the time, there was no consultation, the decision was purely based on the opinion that seeing others vaping might encourage the young to try smoking in any form. It was admitted that there is no known evidence of this, the move being purely precautionary to limit any form of smoking being seen in public places.

Reactions: neptune and john h

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
From what I heard at the time, there was no consultation, the decision was purely based on the opinion that seeing others vaping might encourage the young to try smoking in any form. It was admitted that there is no known evidence of this, the move being purely precautionary to limit any form of smoking being seen in public places.
Which just goes to show how utterly idiotic our AMs are.
I have just passed the local café, they have pavement tables and chairs, all full of smokers of course!

Reactions: john h and flecc

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Attributed to Robert Walpole, the Prime Minister almost 300 years ago, referring to the House of Commons,
'Everyman in there has his price.'
Of course beside brown envelopes he also meant, promotion, preferment, self aggrandisement etc.
So, when I hear of a measure like this, which flies in the face of medical, statistical and social opinion, is apparently even criticised by ASH, ignores the National Governments stated aim to reduce tobacco smoking, you will perhaps forgive me if I rise to my feet, point an accusatory finger, and shout at the top of my voice,
'WALPOLE'

Andrew_Williams

Just Joined
Jun 24, 2015
It seems the Welsh Assembly want to help with banning now, they've voted to ban vaping at work and in all public places.

The given reason is that they fear it can encourage smoking.
I don't know what to say about that... I am a strong smoker for 6 years now (2 packs a day) and I want to try to give it up with an ecig.
I think everything it's ordered by the large tobacco companies who are afraid of losing their businesses if to much people will go with ecigs.
I found this website: http://www.vape-compare.co.uk/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits/all-starter-kits/ and I am looking forward to order a kit, what do you recommend?

Ferencz

Just Joined
Jun 24, 2015
I don't know what to say about that... I am a strong smoker for 6 years now (2 packs a day) and I want to try to give it up with an ecig.
I think everything it's ordered by the large tobacco companies who are afraid of losing their businesses if to much people will go with ecigs.
I found this website: http://www.vape-compare.co.uk/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits/all-starter-kits/ and I am looking forward to order a kit, what do you recommend?
I'm using Kanger KBOX 40w and I'm more than pleased with all aspects of it... But the answer really depends on your individual preferences and your budget ;)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I use ordinary cartomisers (10 motives) which I refill myself with 24 mg liquid.
I find that they are best for me regarding carrying them about, not leaking or breaking etc.
Just get started, use a strong juice (24mg) to start. You will inevitably try all sorts of devices, but compared to tobacco, they are cheap.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
As mike says, you will probably try several devices before choosing the right one. I started with 10 motives cigalikes. I now use and recommend an Ego style set up with Ce4 or CE5 cartomisers. . These are refillable. Most start with a tobacco flavoured juice. Juices are cheap so get some 24 mg and possibly some 18mg as well. You will need two batteries, so that you can use one whilst charging the other. Never touched a normal cig since I started vaping two and a half years ago. Incidentally. I buy all my hardware from a local market stall now! Visitors to my house are welcome to vape, or smoke as they wish. You should be able to get set up for the price of three packets of cigs, and look forward to vaping at less than a fiver a week. We wish you success.

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
I use the VAMO v5 with the 18650 battery, and aCE5 these have dropped in price due to the vamo v 6 , 7 , 8. intro , if buying a charger i would recommend the xtar cv4 it tells you volts +mah and wont over charge, havent been on much lately as im on bike every chance i get (in training for my long hall tour in july ) round top half of scotland :)

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Hi John, and good to hear from you. Well done on the bike training. I am sure we all look forward to a full report on your road trip. carry on vaping and biking.

BeardedAl

Just Joined
Mar 13, 2014
It's really good to see this long running thread continuing :), unfortunately I have been unable to contribute much recently and a senior moment has resulted in the loss of my previous account details - gibla53
Anyways ....regards to all + see ya soon

edited .....* senior moment* explained ,my user name was GORDONAL - just checked!

Last edited:

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
So , as a continuation of the above now sanity is possibly restored, its really good to see this thread has continued , I must look back to catch up on the various stories and topics that folks have go involved with . For me I have sadly hardly used my pedelec for a couple of years but have been very involved in the e-cig politics and advocacy which has greatly filled my time

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
@GORDONAL, good to hear from you. At the moment, I do not have a working ebike, although I read the forums, and post on various things. The batteries have died on my old lead acid bike, and I am doing lots of miles on my pushbike. { 10, 000 miles on the last two years}. Still exclusively vaping. I intend to buy a new pedelec, but worry about it making me lazy. Back in February, I started learning to play fiddle. I am making progress, but it takes up at least two hours every day.

Whilst this thread has slowed down since the glory days, it will come back into its own next year, when the powers that be have decided to force over a million vapers in the UK to resume smoking. Apparently, it is for their own good.

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
@neptune Just a thought ,and please don't immediately dismiss as foolish, I have frequently referred to this thread (started by you way back in the mists of time) in many places,even to MP and consultation documents .
Consider starting a blog, I started one about 2 weeks ago here http://alanbeard.blogspot.co.uk/2015_06_01_archive.html as an eg . The advantages of that would be immeasurable imo - your messages + thoughts need a greater audience in this battle against public perception being poisoned by propaganda http://ash.org.uk/media-room/press-releases/:electronic-cigarette-use-among-smokers-slows-as-perceptions-of-harm-increase . Google blogs are very simply started (says a confirmed technophobe) https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/1623800?hl=en

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Propaganda alert :)

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
This blog http://fdm.ukvaping.com/2015/07/what-are-we-fighting-for/ (not by me) is quite good ,describing some of the present day equipment ,but bemoaning the fact that simple set-ups have not evolved much over the last 2 years, whereas the higher-end of the market has seen an explosion of development . I agree with the author, vastly improved efficient starter type kits should be a focus for the manufacturers(but of course the consumer/customer drives that process by demand)
incidentally also for vaguely interested folks or new users to e-cigarettes I strongly recommend asking questions here OR any of the 4 largest forums
http://allaboute-cigarettes.proboards.com/
http://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/
http://ukvapers.org/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/
you will find some very helpful people only too willing to give buying advice or problem solving

Advertisers