Electroped my first electric bike

marcusvictoria

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2011
Just got myself a cheap electroped, just paid £80 for it and all it needs is a charger.
It is quite possible that the batteries are shot as I believe its around 10/15 years old but I cant find much information about them.
Its red with a single gear and in really good condition with front basket (now removed)
and rear box.
I want to start riding it to work so got a charger for ebay and its on charge now off the bike, so fingers crossed.
If the batteries are shot does anyone know a good/cheap place to get them as on ebay(if there the correct ones) are £120.

I hope to be using the bike everyday as on a charge it should do 25-30 miles on the minimal info I have found so should do me 3/4 days on a charge and will save me driving my old Golf Gti.

If anyone can help me in any way or provide any advice/info that would be cool.

cheers
Marcus in Eastbourne

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those batteries on your Electroped are certain to be at end of life if that age. That £120 is not too bad for 3 x 12 Ah SLA batteries, it's important that they are the right high current drain types, but hopefully someone else will know of a lower cost source.

marcusvictoria

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2011
Ok thanks for the advice. Just plugged the battery in the bike after a 2 hour charge with absolutely no signs of life, so I think they are shot.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do make sure it's a working bike before buying the new batteries Marcus, try checking for any sign of life once you've ascertained the battery connections etc are ok.

If it's one of those top models I've linked to, it should be three 12 volt 12 Ah batteries wired in series to give 36 volts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm afraid 12 volts might not be enough to get it to kick. If you could borrow another one or use someone's jump starter and couple them in line to give 24 volts, that should give enough reaction to see it's working.

marcusvictoria

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2011
Put a 12v car battery pack on today and the dash fired up, but not enough to spin the wheel.
Going to a mobility centre tomorrow and they are going to pop some batteries in it to see if it works and they sell the batteries for £27 each.
Fingers crossed and could be good timing as petrol seems to be on the rise !!!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's handy, and they'll be the right type of batteries too. I hope it's a working bike.

marcusvictoria

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2011
found a local mobility service centre who is happy to pop some batteries in my bike!
Will give it a go once I have some money as I will buy off them if the bike works.:)

marcusvictoria

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2011
Plugged it in and had the back wheel spinning today so in the next 14 days I will have some batteries, then I will be riding to work , woo hoo.

stemil

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Twickenham
I hope to be using the bike everyday as on a charge it should do 25-30 miles on the minimal info I have found so should do me 3/4 days on a charge and will save me driving my old Golf Gti.

If anyone can help me in any way or provide any advice/info that would be cool.

cheers
Marcus in Eastbourne
Hi, I don't know if you were actually planning to charge every 3-4 days but the quickest way to ruin a lead acid battery is to keep it in a discharged or partially discharged state, to get maximum life from them you should charge after every use.

marcusvictoria

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2011
ok thanks for the advice, bit mad about the batteries preferring charge after every use but batteries are funny things. I ordered my batteries yesterday and removed the stickers off my bike with the trusty hair dryer so looking a little nicer. Cant wait for the batteries arrive, I should really whack a pic on here so I will over the next few days.
Thanks for all the advice especially as I have paid £75 for a trio of batteries and I need them to last to their full potencial. Now that my electroped is complete I hope to spend some time restoring my 1939 gents Raleigh!

marcusvictoria

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2011
Fitted batteries today, had to deliver my wife's Fiat Multipla to the garage so threw the bike in the back and had a maiden 12.5 mile ride home. Only peddled uphill, motor is more noisy then I thought it would be but is happy to potter along at 21mph but really need to pedal uphill as it cant cope. But considering it only cost me £170 to get it to a working state, I am happy and much petrol is about to be saved over the coming months :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That sounds great, glad it all worked out well in the end. Of course all these e-bikes are electric-assist rather than fully electric bikes, so helping by pedalling uphill is normal.

marcusvictoria

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2011
Yep all good. Bike is a great start to electric bikes and I love it. Took it to work yesterday it was great and what is a 30 min walk was a 10 min ride :).
If I get another a Alien 35mph kit would be nice :) and some suspension !
or convert my bike to make it faster !!!

Thanks for all advice much appreciated.
People at work were very interested as elec bikes still a fairly rare sight.

Reactions: gsm.terra