End of the 25 Kph wall - BionX is re-born

CDinFrance

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 9, 2008
I posted a review of my Villiger BionX a few years ago and have been quite happy with it - except for the annoying 25 Kph wall I hit every day.

So I am happy to announce that I have been liberated, thanks to Prochip, who make a simple device called the M-Ped to reset the maximum speed of any CanBus BionX system.

See: Ihre Domain

Within 2 minutes I reset the maximum speed to 32 Kph, which I find perfect for me, and also good for the 250W BionX.

OK, it costs 149 Euros, but I was actually considering buying a North American system for $1500. to get around the 25 Kph limit. (N.A. systems are set to 32 Kph)

For my commute, 32 Kph works perfectly for the gearing and cadence I like to set.

It seems strange but riding at a speed of 30 Kph is quite different than riding at 25 Kph and takes a bit of getting used to. Braking distance is more important, and you approach pedestrians and other riders at a faster speed and need to anticipate better. Part of my ride is also on gravel bike path which is much slipperier at the faster speed. Lastly, the battery life is proportionally shorter, and the actual exercise effort is more.

I am happy and feel quite liberated without that Wall that I came to know and hate.

Note that M-Ped use voids the BionX warranty and comes with a strict legal notice not to break the law. Luckily I ride in Switzerland where the legal pedelec limit is 40 Kph... :)

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
Dear CD, I knew this would happen. At last, this closed system has been broken. I never wanted to go faster, but I found the 25 Kph 'wall' downright dangerous at times. The power would tail off on a bend and throw me all over. I entered into a lengthy correspondence with the EU distributors and got nowhere. I have other gripes with BionX and have experienced bizarre behaviour, but that's another story...

I ran a PL250 48V for 9 months. It had a sophisticated long ride, but it always felt constrained.
Shot of it now, I now ride a system of dubious legality (as you do).
Good luck on your liberated ride.

Advertisers