Endeavour Impulse S11 Alfine

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
It'll be due to the power delivery combined with the hub gears. I've always thought even the lower powered version should have had a chain tensioner with the Alfine hub, but dealer of course INSISTS that's ridiculous and it's perfectly OK. Experience says otherwise.

Reactions: superDove
D

Deleted member 4366

I think if I was choosing a bike today to replace car this is the one I'd go for :
It looks like a nice bike. I'd like one, but at £3000, you could buy a nice low mileage Corsa plus your running costs for several years, or you could get a nice used Suzuki GSXR 1000 and do 180 mph. Is there a comparison between a Kalkhoff bicycle and this, which is £500 cheaper:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSXR1000-K1-02-FULL-CARBON-STREETFIGHTER-DRY-NITROS-/141206797236?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item20e094bbb4

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
It looks like a nice bike. I'd like one, but at £3000, you could buy a nice low mileage Corsa plus your running costs for several years, or you could get a nice used Suzuki GSXR 1000 and do 180 mph. Is there a comparison between a Kalkhoff bicycle and this, which is £500 cheaper:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSXR1000-K1-02-FULL-CARBON-STREETFIGHTER-DRY-NITROS-/141206797236?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item20e094bbb4
One's new and the other's 15 years old souped-up conversion with an astronomic insurance cost :)

Also the low-mileage Corsa will probably cost you a grand a year in garage bills (!)

I'm comparing against going petrol-free for all your travelling needs. Basically where I was 18 months ago when I bought the Kalkhoff. I'm motoring again now so it wouldn;t suit my current needs - but at only £300 more than my Agattu was in 2012 it's a good deal. Comparatively anyway !!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
One's new and the other's 15 years old souped-up conversion with an astronomic insurance cost :)

Also the low-mileage Corsa will probably cost you a grand a year in garage bills (!)

I'm comparing against going petrol-free for all your travelling needs. Basically where I was 18 months ago when I bought the Kalkhoff. I'm motoring again now so it wouldn;t suit my current needs - but at only £300 more than my Agattu was in 2012 it's a good deal. Comparatively anyway !!
But you are forgetting the cost of getting the Kalkhoff through some form of SVA test, insurance, registration costs, VEL (if there is a charge), a motorbike helmet and licensing. By the time you have added all that lot onto the cost of the bike, it brings it closer to the car running cost.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
But you are forgetting the cost of getting the Kalkhoff through some form of SVA test, insurance, registration costs, VEL (if there is a charge), a motorbike helmet and licensing. By the time you have added all that lot onto the cost of the bike, it brings it closer to the car running cost.
I think most people will in practice just take "indefinitely extended credit" for that lot .... ;)

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
17Ah 36 volt, with that set up where the motor is assisting at high speed as well, in hilly country (hills are my only reason for assist), realistic mileage?

I think to replace a car I'd have to have a folder as well so I can take advantage of public transport. That's my plan at the moment anyway.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
On full power, depending on the weight you / the bike is carrying I would guess between 30 and 50 miles would be realistic.

Reactions: superDove

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Do you have a brompton superDove? :)

Pat