Envirobike

Gemma85

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 26, 2021
Hi guys. New here. I have all of a sudden come into a large issue. I tried using the electric to get up the hill and nothing was happening so as soon as i got home i had a looked and 1 of the cables that goes through to the connector has snapped off.. is this even fixable. Ive posted a couple pics of the actual issue so you can see what i mean. I don't even know where this cable leads too so took a pic of where i believe it leads so if anyone can clarify that would be great. Please help i need this bike for work every morning

Attachments

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Think we're gonna need some more pics. Is that the battery mounting plate? Looks like it could be either a motor wire or a positive going to the controller.
It looks like it's been cut, how'd that happen?

Gemma85

Jan 26, 2021
It hasnt been cut as was on the bike this morning and riding up the hill and needed to use the electric and it just wouldnt work whereas 15 mins before it was working perfectly. It's a pain as where i like I'm at the bottom of a valley so need to use it to get to work . But yes thats the battery mounting plate

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The discharge wires (or at least the Red V+) has broken off (also the Black V- isn't far off either)the discharge connection pin by the looks of it.
The Red has been repaired previously hence the use of the automotive clamp connector which has been used to join the new and old wire.
It is/should be repairable though needs someone who is capable with a soldering iron and some new silicone 14awg wire, ideally both need cutting back and new wire soldered together further away from the compartment. The bottom plate is screwed down so access to the wiring should be better once they are removed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If folks tell us where they are in the country then assistance may be possible from a knowledgeable member.

Gemma85

Jan 26, 2021
I'm just hoping its an easy job as the gap to get to the wire is so small i had a tight squeeze trying to reach the red cable. Contacted my local cycle repair man and he can take a look at it next week with no promises so fingers crossed

Gemma85

Jan 26, 2021
If folks tell us where they are in the country then assistance may be possible from a knowledgeable member.
Im in plymouth. Contacted my local cycle repair guy he can't promise but if i can find another that will be grand

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looking at the pics again something is amiss, that two pin discharge connector should be a fixture and not loose and simply relying on just the two wires to hold it.
The discharge connector is either broken or someone has bodged it, having previously damaged it or even replaced the battery (silver fish type).

It should be possible to fish the wires out from the tubing to carry out a proper wire repair then pull them back through again, I tie/tape strong string to the the ends and would gently tease/pull them through leaving enough length to again pull tease them back through. The discharge pin needs fixing permanently, with the area thoroughly cleaned with isopropanol sugru putty could be used to mould and secure the connector in place.

Gemma85

Jan 26, 2021
Ive had the bike almost a year as my sister just shoved it in her shed and never used it after my dad passed it to her and the two pin connector has been like it since i took it from her.i thought it was always meant to be that way, the battery is the original so no change there. This is all still so new to me after all this time so this advice really is helpful and i am so grateful. I will take a screenshot of what you have just replied and show the repair guy if he's standing scratching his head. There must be a way of doing it, else how did they get the cable there in the first place.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That pin discharge connector has be snapped /broken off, the reason why the wire has snapped off again as has happened previously and was repaired in a way.

It will occur again if the pin housing isn't securely in place.
Originally access would have been by removing the four base plate screws visible and the whole plate and connector as one being removed. Sugru moulding repair putty is your friend in a case like this mouldable and sets hard after about 24hrs, once set and the discharge connector in the right place the wire then can be re- soldered making sure the polarity is correct. Sugru will only work if the area is thoroughly clean first.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some oil lube won't go a miss on the chain or gears either.

• :D
Reactions: D C and danielrlee

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Leave the battery off the bike until repaired, if that red wire contacts the black wire with the battery connected there will be a bang as the battery shorts out. Then you may need more then just a baseplate/wiring repair.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You don't fish the wires out through that hole. Instead, you take the cover off the side of that compartment, which gives you access to everything inside.

Reactions: Nealh

Gemma85

Jan 26, 2021
That pin discharge connector has be snapped /broken off, the reason why the wire has snapped off again as has happened previously and was repaired in a way.

It will occur again if the pin housing isn't securely in place.
Originally access would have been by removing the four base plate screws visible and the whole plate and connector as one being removed. Sugru moulding repair putty is your friend in a case like this mouldable and sets hard after about 24hrs, once set and the discharge connector in the right place the wire then can be re- soldered making sure the polarity is correct. Sugru will only work if the area is thoroughly clean first.
Thank you for that advice will keep it in mind. Will try and get it fixed pronto and then get the 2 pin connector stuck in the correct place.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As vfr has mentioned the wires go into the housing underneath which is where the controller/pcb is located, removing the screws on the side panel will gain access to the two battery wires. The two prong plug will still need securing properly to prevent the situation occurring for a third time.

Now able to view the pics on my pc and not my phone , the side plate and controller are visible.

Let us know how the repair goes later as we like a good ending and someone to be mobile again.

Reactions: vfr400